Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall Weighing SS Options

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

The rotation is undoubtedly going to take a massive hit at the top, yet the fifth starter could negate some of that by being better than replacement level. (Miley and DeSclafani were horrid in their 40+ IP.) The pen is unfinished, IMO, and a total crapshoot.
    Completely agree. The Reds last year were counting on Miley to be that BOR that could win about half his starts. Instead, he only started 4 times and was 0-3. I would hope the plan for 2021 is to have Miley be a mop up guy out of the pen.
    Assuming Lorenzen is already in the rotation with Mahle, Gray and Castillo.. there's still a big hole in that #5 spot.
    Maybe Antone takes that spot, but that leaves a huge hole in the pen that already needs reinforcing.

I think the best way for the Reds to improve the team is to add a decent starting pitcher. The second best thing to do is to reinforce the bullpen. SS could be backfilled by a cheap veteran or even Farmer. Sure it would be great to add a front line SS, but assuming the Reds have limited funds, I am not sure that spending most of their payflex on a SS is the way to go.

As others have said, we are counting on the 7 non-SS position players to be healthy and work better as an offensive unit next year. (In 2020, they ranked 28th in runs scored per game). If that doesn't happen, then adding Simmons or Didi really isn't going to matter, IMO..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Completely agree. The Reds last year were counting on Miley to be that BOR that could win about half his starts. Instead, he only started 4 times and was 0-3. I would hope the plan for 2021 is to have Miley be a mop up guy out of the pen.
    Assuming Lorenzen is already in the rotation with Mahle, Gray and Castillo.. there's still a big hole in that #5 spot.
    Maybe Antone takes that spot, but that leaves a huge hole in the pen that already needs reinforcing.

I think the best way for the Reds to improve the team is to add a decent starting pitcher. The second best thing to do is to reinforce the bullpen. SS could be backfilled by a cheap veteran or even Farmer. Sure it would be great to add a front line SS, but assuming the Reds have limited funds, I am not sure that spending most of their payflex on a SS is the way to go.

As others have said, we are counting on the 7 non-SS position players to be healthy and work better as an offensive unit next year. (In 2020, they ranked 28th in runs scored per game). If that doesn't happen, then adding Simmons or Didi really isn't going to matter, IMO..
    Finding a good SS would be far easier and more likely to pay off than a fifth pitcher.

Besides, Miley should be better, and Antone showed promise.

I reject the line of thinking that the Reds are or should skimp on a SS in the hopes the other players will be healthier and work better as an offense. Krall has denied your take as well, fwiw. Moose, Catellanos, and Suarez should be improved. Akiyama probably will as well. Winker and Votto should be about the same or slightly worse. Barnhart's not good either way. Senzel has upside. Among them, Krall is expecting a small improvement. The majority of the improvement, though, likely comes from the spot where the Reds were replacement level last season. That's SS.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 01-21-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Finding a good SS would be far easier and more likely to pay off than a fifth pitcher.

I reject the line of thinking that the Reds are or should skimp on a SS in the hopes the other players will be healthier and work better as an offense. Krall has denied your take as well, fwiw. Moose, Catellanos, and Suarez should be improved. Akiyama probably will as well. Winker and Votto should be about the same or slightly worse. Barnhart's not good either way. Senzel has upside. Among them, Krall is expecting a small improvement. The majority of the improvement, though, likely comes from the spot where the Reds were replacement level last season. That's SS.
    Could just pay Bauer. Get a 1st pitcher instead He's easy to find and would pay off.

5. Likes:

onehand (01-21-2021)

Yea, I know Krall and the majority of the forum disagrees with me, but the Reds were below replacement level at the 5th starter and some bullpen guys last year too.
    If the Reds offense rebounds as much as we hope, we can carry a 700 OPS bat at SS. It's not optimal, I would like a better SS, but funds are limited. Hopefully it all works out.. Either Miley or someone else gets us the improvement in the back of the rotation.

I just remember Krall/Williams saying the offense was the problem last offseason. Well, they added some bats, and the offense still underperformed. I have an open mind, but Krall has to show me that he knows how to build a team. I know there's debate over how much Krall did and how much Williams did, but even if you start Krall off with a clean slate when Williams quit, he has not been impressive yet.. Note, I am saying there will probably be more moves this offseason, I am just waiting for a good one.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, I know Krall and the majority of the forum disagrees with me, but the Reds were below replacement level at the 5th starter and some bullpen guys last year too.
    They have "replacement" fifth starters who already project to be substantially better than the fifth starters last season.

They have no one at shortstop.

As far as I now, you can't play with ghost men at the major league level.

They have "replacement" fifth starters who already project to be substantially better than the fifth starters last season.

They have no one at shortstop.

As far as I now, you can't play with ghost men at the major league level.
    Except in extra innings.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

9. Likes:

mgbrown66 (01-24-2021),Revering4Blue (01-22-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nine evaluators rank shortstops Didi Gregorius, Marcus Semien, Andrelton Simmons

Shortstop survey says
    Didi Gregorius -- 36 (5)
    Marcus Semien -- 27 (3)
    Andrelton Simmons -- 18 (1)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Krall failed his assignment, DiDi will go back to Phiily before even thinking of signing to play for the Reds now..

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Krall failed his assignment, DiDi will go back to Phiily before even thinking of signing to play for the Reds now..
    DiDi won't come here now? Maybe he won't end up a Red, but why would other SS signing elsewhere impact him coming here?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Must be tough for Bob to walk the tightrope between being cheap and not being perceived as being cheap...
    This is still so on point and so damn good. Should be on a t-shirt.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

15. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This is what they should be doing. The iron is hot. Strike.

They should be doing the same thing the Padres are doing, asking "why not us?"
    (Channeling Rorschach...)

BobC: And I shall whisper, no.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money ...
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    When he's not spending it?

When you're one of the guys who's giving him the cash?

Look, it's certainly a choice for him to pocket the extra $20 million he jettisoned from not really paying his players for 2020 when raking in millions himself that he refuses to divulge. But he's cutting off his nose to spite his face if he does.

I usually agree with this, but the team is expected to contend for the division, and there isn't a SS on the team. I think it's worth a question or two.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

If you don’t want random customers pining to spend your money, don’t buy a professional sports team.

Castellini’s finances are hurting, both in the Reds division and in his core business. The pandemic changed a lot of people’s situations. If he can no longer make the spending commitment that is necessary to field a contending team, he should sell the team, and do it now while there is still a solid core that could contend. The city deserves better.

On the flip side, my fear is he is now forced to overpay/overcommit to DiDi, and sign him up to a 3 or 4 year deal that the rest of the team cannot afford, and as a result is forced to jettison good players in the next 12 months (ie the Moustakas/Castellanos signings all over again). A one year deal for a SS was so obviously the right move last year and this year. And the Reds had ample opportunities to get it done, as DiDi, Semien and Simmons all accepted one year deals during that timeframe.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-27-2021 at 08:22 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-27-2021),Edd Roush (01-27-2021),M2 (01-27-2021),membengal (01-27-2021),REDREAD (01-27-2021),Redsfaithful (01-27-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?