Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Season: Playoffs + Hiring/Firing time

Re: 2020 NFL Season: Playoffs + Hiring/Firing time

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    The Bucs were a really good team last year that just needed a QB. It's not like they were a downtrodden team and Tom fixed everything. That's not to take anything away from him. He's the greatest and was awesome this year too. But he probably has the best receiving corps in the NFL to go along with a very good defense.

Questioning Belichick after one season when half of his defense opted out and his QB was physically incapable of throwing the ball downfield is silly. The Patriots probably had the worst personnel in the NFL this season. Brady wasn't even that great for the first 3 Super Bowls. He was very competent, but 2007 was when he went to another level. Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

They're both amazing and both greatest of all time at their respective positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The narrative I was hinting at it is that Belichick is such a genius, his system is so perfect, that he could win with anyone. Obviously, it was a silly narrative to begin with, but it was one that was disproven this year.
    Last edited by 757690; 01-24-2021 at 09:02 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    They were a really good team that finished the season with a losing record?
    They finished 6th in defensive DVOA and 11th in overall DVOA with a QB who threw a record number of INTs. Everybody knew they were a QB away from being one of the top teams in the league. Brady is elite. But it's not like he joined the Jets

Wasn’t that a forward lateral?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Wasn’t that a forward lateral?
    He was behind the line of scrimmage, so no.

Haha I’m dumb

2020 NFL Season: Playoffs + Hiring/Firing time

Brady went to one of the worst organizations in professional sports and immediately took them to the super bowl. Immediately.
    Tampa Bay was on the upswing before they signed Brady.

Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and OJ Howard as receivers was better from a talent perspective than what he left in New England. That said, Brady is still the type of QB who can make nobodies into somebodies and he did that with Scotty Miller and Tyler Johnson. Doesn’t take Antonio Brown or Gronk into effect either.

It’s kinda like Denver this year. They’ve got the pieces but all they are missing is a QB.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The narrative I was hinting at it that Belichick is such a genius, his system is so perfect, that he could win with anyone. Obviously, it was a silly narrative to begin with, but it was one that was disproven this year.
    I don't think anybody thought he could win with "anyone", but I would say that winning 7 games with the roster this year is extremely impressive. One of the worst QBs in the NFL, worst receiving corps in the NFL, decimated defense. It was probably the worst roster in the league.

They were a really good team that finished the season with a losing record?
    I am probably a little bias, but even if Brady, Gronk, Fournette and Brown did not arrive this year, I would have expected playoffs. First, the defense was very good the 2nd half of the season last year. The run defense was the best in the NFL all year, but the young secondary was playing at a high level about midway through the season. I can honestly say the Corners played better the 2nd half of the last season than they did this season. Many of the points on the defense late in the season were from short fields off an INT. Then the offense was as explosive as any in the NFL last season with both Evans and Godwin having 1K yard seasons...and Ronald Jones was finally running better at the end of the season. The interceptions were terrible, but look at every QB in Arians system, and their interceptions spike a significant amount their first year....then decline in subsequent years. I expected OJ Howard to break through and have a huge season this year, but he was injured early and out for the season. Finally, the Bucs probably had the best first two round picks in the draft this past year with Wirfs and Winfield being studs all year.

The Bucs were 7-9 last year, but 7 of those 9 losses were by a single score or less....and that is with 30 interceptions. The Bucs were on the brink of being very good...which is why Brady chose to go there. The Bucs this year overcame a lot of crap that was not expected....like losing Howard and Vita Vea for almost the whole season....their 2018 and 2019 1st Round picks, Evans played all season banged up, Godwin only played in 75% of the games, Jones was out for a couple games injured and multiple guys on the OLine have missed games injured.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Looking like a Mahomes/Brady Super Bowl. CBS must be happy.

11. Likes:

Chip R (01-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I don't think anybody thought he could win with "anyone", but I would say that winning 7 games with the roster this year is extremely impressive. One of the worst QBs in the NFL, worst receiving corps in the NFL, decimated defense. It was probably the worst roster in the league.

Belichick would yell at you for all the excuses you are making for his team.

However, the Patriots have won championships with questionable talent under Belichick. That has always been what he’s known for. He takes a bunch of no names and turns them into a winning team. He couldn’t do that this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Belichick would yell at you for all the excuses you are making for his team.

However, the Patriots have won championships with questionable talent under Belichick. That has always been what he’s known for. He takes a bunch of no names and turns them into a winning team. He couldn’t do that this year.
    A bunch of no names and Tom Brady.

- - - Updated - - -

I loathe Tyreke Hill

14. Likes:

757690 (01-24-2021)

February in Tampa....going to get our guys healthy. I expect KC to be favorites, but I like Tampa Bays chances. KC beat us in Tampa on 11/29 with the score being 27-24, but it is hard to evaluate that game as KC was the better team in the 1st half, and Tampa was much better in the 2nd half. Tyreke Hill destroyed TB in the 1st Half....much of it on Murphy-Bunting who was forced to play CB on the outside instead of his normal slot position because Jamel Dean was out.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I think it’ll be KC by a lot. Mahomes neutralizes a lot of Tampa’s pass rush which is their biggest advantage.

Tampa would need to have a big game from Fournette and Jones...which they could...but I wouldn’t feel great about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think it’ll be KC by a lot. Mahomes neutralizes a lot of Tampa’s pass rush which is their biggest advantage.

Tampa would need to have a big game from Fournette and Jones...which they could...but I wouldn’t feel great about it.
    Similar things were said about New Orleans and especially Green Bay in the cold weather....if we are healthy and fully loaded on our field, I like our chances.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

KC might want to pull their starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?