Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Building The Pen

Building The Pen

So many relievers available on the free agent market and Reds have five or six available roster spots. Seems like each day a couple more sign and come off the board.. Do the Reds have enough funds to pick up a couple at value price to strengthen the pen. I think there is a chance to sign two if not three pretty solid relievers for what they were going to pay Iglesias. Hopefully they don't wait till the end and pick up the scraps.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-25-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Building The Pen

One more left-handed high leverage arm would certainly be nice. Brad Hand?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-20-2021),Old school 1983 (01-21-2021)

They definitely need a quality southpaw.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-21-2021),Old school 1983 (01-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They definitely need a quality southpaw.
    Especially if Garrett get a look at closer. I’m sure they would likely only use him in the 8th or 9th in that case.

Reds prospect Hendrix in mix for 'pen role

Like so many Minor Leaguers on the rise, the lost 2020 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic was extremely frustrating for Reds relief prospect Ryan Hendrix.

In 2019, Hendrix missed much of that campaign with a right elbow strain. But he was 3-0 with a 2.33 ERA in 16 games for Double-A Chattanooga, then was added to the 40-man roster that winter. He went to big league camp in ’20 and was also added to the team’s player pool at Cincinnati’s alternate training site in Mason, Ohio.

During his time at the alternate training site, Hendrix worked with assistant pitching coordinator Eric Jagers, who was promoted to assistant pitching coach at the big league level after Caleb Cotham’s departure to become the Phillies’ pitching coach.

Jagers helped Hendrix with the analytics of his game, and Hendrix felt it helped him improve on the mound.

“We got to know every one of our pitches -- the spin rate, the horizontal and vertical break,” Hendrix said. “Being able to use that pitching technology was big. I was able to develop a new pitch. I have a new changeup. It was good to find different grips of pitches. Really knowing myself as a pitcher from the technology was huge.”

With Spring Training set to open next month, Hendrix has an opportunity that wasn’t available last year. The Reds' bullpen has open spots.

Hendrix, a fifth-round selection by Cincinnati in the 2016 MLB Draft, believes he could rise to the occasion.

“I feel like I’m right there. I’m going to go into camp, and I’m going to fight for a spot,” he said. “I think I am mentally and physically prepared to go in and earn that spot. I’ve faced the big league hitters when I was up there at camp and the alternate site. I always got good feedback from the other hitters. It’s going to be good. I feel like I’m ready to knock on the door and get going.”
    By Mark Sheldon reds.com

10. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (01-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    By Mark Sheldon reds.com
    Totally lost on me this off-season was the fact we lost Cotham to the Phillies.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

The bullpen is the part of the team that worries me most.

I suspect the plan is for Krall, Johnson, Boddy, and company to identify cheap, undervalued guys who can be developed. Those guys still have to have options too.

They haven't had a very long resume of making successful choices along this vein-- especially among other team's pitchers.

So we're left to trust a front office that hasn't honestly been all that great at the exact kind of player they need to acquire.

Sigh.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-21-2021),REDREAD (01-25-2021)

My wildly optimistic take is that the Reds must have had a plan for the pen when they traded Iglesias and let Bradley go. Perhaps they believed in progress seen at Prasco. I'll add that it makes little sense to do what they did and then turn around and pay a premium FA reliever.

I think fringe candidates are about all we can hope for. Hoffman, De Leon, Ramirez, and Romano are out of options so they will get every chance to make the pen. Sims, Garrett, and Antone seem like locks. Garcia, Bailey, Warren, and Hendrix will get consideration. If they bring in another starter, then Lorenzen would go to the pen also.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (01-25-2021),Revering4Blue (01-22-2021),Ron Madden (01-21-2021)

[QUOTE]So who could move into the closer's role for the Cincinnati Reds

The most pressing question about the Cincinnati Reds’ bullpen is figuring out the team’s closer. It’s the first time the role has opened since Raisel Iglesias shifted to closer at the end of the 2016 season.

It’ll be a camp battle to watch with Amir Garrett, Lucas Sims and Tejay Antone as the top candidates, and potentially Michael Lorenzen if he didn’t earn a spot in the starting rotation.

No matter who wins the closer job – or if the Reds opt to use a closer-by-committee – there will be a lot of pressure on the bullpen to match last year’s success despite trading away Iglesias and releasing Archie Bradley.

The bullpen had the league’s fourth-highest WAR in September, according to FanGraphs, with a collective 3.57 ERA. The bullpen’s performance helped the team to a 16-9 record and rescued their playoff hopes.

Garrett, Sims and Antone appear to be the leaders to form the back end of the bullpen at the start of the season. Garrett yielded just one hit to a left-handed hitter during the regular season (.043 batting average). Sims was a reliable setup man in 2020 and appeared in both postseason games. Antone surpassed expectations in his rookie season.[QUOTE]

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/6657601002?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    My wildly optimistic take is that the Reds must have had a plan for the pen when they traded Iglesias and let Bradley go. Perhaps they believed in progress seen at Prasco. I'll add that it makes little sense to do what they did and then turn around and pay a premium FA reliever.

I think fringe candidates are about all we can hope for. Hoffman, De Leon, Ramirez, and Romano are out of options so they will get every chance to make the pen. Sims, Garrett, and Antone seem like locks. Garcia, Bailey, Warren, and Hendrix will get consideration. If they bring in another starter, then Lorenzen would go to the pen also.
    Reds will be paying Miley and Lorenzen $8 million and $4.4 million, respectively. I expect Reds to give them every opportunity to start. With the Iggy/Bradley departures, doesn’t seem like Reds want expensive relievers this year.

I expect Reds will bolster the pen by adding a couple of decent $2-3 million dollar experienced FA relievers who don’t get bigger deals. They’ve had some success with those types in the past.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-21-2021 at 09:59 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-25-2021)

A name to think about: Steven Brault. Lefty swingman in Pittsburgh. He'd fit nicely into the Reds pen, and is pretty expendable for the Pirates.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Sign one from the following group for <$4M to function as a closer:

Ken Giles
    Alex Colome
    Steve Cishek
    Shane Greene
    Tyler Clippard

Pick up one more bargain type guy at ~$1M to fill things out. Then, just roll with what you have. The Reds aren’t getting Brad Hand as it’s clear they are allocating resources away from the pen.

Colome would be a great add. He's the one I want out of that group. (Still want Hand first, though.)

22. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-22-2021)

The best solution to tightening the bullpen would be to sign another proper SP. That would push Antone and Lorenzen into more defined late-inning roles, with guys like De Leon, Lorenzen, Antone and Santillan ready as #6 types.

Locks would be:
    Garrett
    Lorenzen
    Sims
    Antone
    Ramirez

Next in line:
    Hoffman
    Hendrix
    De Leon
    Romano
    Santillan

Ideally they'd make one clear upgrade to the SP and RP groups, but I'd rather see Krall address the rotation first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Sign one from the following group for <$4M to function as a closer:

Ken Giles
    Alex Colome
    Steve Cishek
    Shane Greene
    Tyler Clippard

Pick up one more bargain type guy at ~$1M to fill things out. Then, just roll with what you have. The Reds aren’t getting Brad Hand as it’s clear they are allocating resources away from the pen.
    - - - Updated - - -

Could you get Melancon for 4-5m ?

Turn Off Ads?