Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Building The Pen

Re: Building The Pen

Reds' Lucas Sims Resumes throwing
    Sims (elbow) threw for the first time in camp Friday, Charlie Goldsmith of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Sims has had a delayed start to spring training due to some right elbow tightness that he dealt with over the offseason. Although he was shut down for several days early in camp, Sims said that he'll be ready for the regular season. His brief absence could hinder his chances to begin the season as the team's closer, but he should still have time to prepare for Opening Day as long as he doesn't face any setbacks.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-12-2021),Kingspoint (03-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    Reds RP Josh Osich: “I spent quite a bit of this offseason getting (my velocity) back… There’s still more in the tank."

I believe with the Reds being careful with workloads of their pitchers due to the short 2020 season, we will see them use more guys in the bullpen than usual.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-04-2021)

He had a really impressive outing the first time out.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

It's only a few games in, but it seems that the fringe relievers that the Reds brought into spring training this season are a marked improvement, at least in terms of pure stuff, over the ones usually brought in.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-04-2021),Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I believe with the Reds being careful with workloads of their pitchers due to the short 2020 season, we will see them use more guys in the bullpen than usual.
    Coach Johnson flat out said they are and explained exactly how they are doing it. (I posted the quote in the Antone thread from the Enquirer from yesterday.)
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    He had a really impressive outing the first time out.
    Osich was not so impressive the 2nd time out.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Anyone think it’s possible we see Brandon Finnegan again in the majors?
    Should have used this as my bold prediction.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Should have used this as my bold prediction.
    Reds still have a chance to win the Cueto trade!
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-04-2021),Hoosier Red (03-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It's only a few games in, but it seems that the fringe relievers that the Reds brought into spring training this season are a marked improvement, at least in terms of pure stuff, over the ones usually brought in.
    You mean these guys are better then Kevin Quackenbush?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

757690 (03-04-2021),marcshoe (03-07-2021),Ron Madden (03-04-2021)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    Bounce back 1-2-3 inning from Reds reliever Noé Ramirez, who drew his fair share of swings and misses.
    Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__

It was another really impressive night for minor league pitchers, especially Gutierrez, Finnegan, Santillan and Moreta.

Eight strikeouts and no earned runs from that group of pitchers.

Brandon Finnegan’s velocity was up to 95, but what stood out to me was that he made batters lose balance on four swing-and-misses.
    C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    Tony Santillan struck out the first two batters he faced and then Bobby Witt Jr. hit a ball to left that went for a four-base error
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-05-2021 at 01:18 AM.

Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr

Brandon Finnegan continues to impress, Ryan Hendrix had a dominant inning with his sharp slider

Ryan Hendrix. Among the relief prospects in the organization, Hendrix may have the best pure stuff of anyone. On Thursday night he got to show it off, too, tossing a perfect inning with a strikeout.

“That was really impressive tonight,” said manager David Bell or Hendrix outing. “He has a great arm. Fastball, upper 90’s and attacking the hitters – really aggressive. Slider’s tough. That was fun to watch. It was impressive to say the least. I know it was just an inning, but he looked good last time, too.”

Brandon Finnegan pitched for the second time this spring, this time coming out of the bullpen. He was charged with an unearned run, but picked up two strikeouts in his inning of work that also saw him reach back and hit 95 MPH. A healthy Finnegan that can throw in the mid-90’s is very intriguing.

Tony Santillan, like Finnegan before him, was hurt by the defense and wound up being charged with two unearned runs. But the righty struck out two batters in his inning of work and he hit 97 on the stadium radar gun.

The best outing of the night, though, came last. That’s when Dauri Moreta came out and struck out all three batters he faced in the top of the 9th inning while showing off his fastball, slider, and change up.
    Doug Gray https://www.redsminorleagues.com

22. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (03-05-2021)

Cionel Pérez is real.
    He has big velocity from the left side and a power breaking ball that dates back to his days in Cuba. It’s legit and a reason why the Astros signed him in 2016.

It appears the trade to the Reds is already working out for Pérez. The 24-year-old is competing for a spot in the bullpen. He also makes an interesting case as a starter.

So far, Pérez has allowed one hit and hasn't issued a walk over two scoreless innings in Cactus League play. He retired all three Dodgers hitters he faced Wednesday and touched 96 mph with his fastball.

“He came into camp and he looks as good as anyone,” Reds manager David Bell said. “I think a big key for him is going to be able to throw strikes when he needs to and just master that a little bit more. He’s shown nothing but an ability to do that, so he clearly has the arm. We’re really excited to have him.”
    Jesse Sanchez reds.com
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-06-2021 at 12:30 PM.

24. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-06-2021),Mitri (03-06-2021),RED VAN HOT (03-06-2021)

The Cincinnati Reds opened Sunday’s game against the San Francisco Giants with three left-handed relief pitchers.

And the one with the least MLB experience had the best inning.

Cionel Pérez pitched his third scoreless inning of spring training, and he didn’t allow a hit to any of the four Giants batters he faced on Sunday.

“He’s electric, man,” said relief pitcher Sean Doolittle, who pitched the second inning. “I love the way his arm works. I love his mechanics. He’s really, really smooth and the ball just explodes out of his hand.”

Pérez has only thrown in 20 career MLB games, but he has been one of Cincinnati’s best relief pitchers during spring training. His fastball reached 97 mph on Sunday, and he mixed that pitch with an 84 mph slider that has been drawing swings and misses all spring. In spring training, Perez has faced one batter above the minimum in three innings and allowed just one hit and no runs. He walked one hitter on Sunday, but he didn’t allow any hard contact.
    Charlie Goldsmith cincinnati.com

Turn Off Ads?