Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Building The Pen

Re: Building The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The best solution to tightening the bullpen would be to sign another proper SP. That would push Antone and Lorenzen into more defined late-inning roles, with guys like De Leon, Lorenzen, Antone and Santillan ready as #6 types.

Locks would be:
    Garrett
    Lorenzen
    Sims
    Antone
    Ramirez

Next in line:
    Hoffman
    Hendrix
    De Leon
    Romano
    Santillan

Ideally they'd make one clear upgrade to the SP and RP groups, but I'd rather see Krall address the rotation first.
    DeLeon has to make the club or he's lost via waivers. Ditto Romano. Not sure about Hoffman.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    DeLeon has to make the club or he's lost via waivers. Ditto Romano. Not sure about Hoffman.
    I wouldn't hesitate to cut any of the "next in liners" if they stink between now and opening day. Hoffman is out of options too, though. And they do seem to be high on De Leon's progress.

This is why I'm guessing they let Lorenzen/JDL/Antone/Santillan scramble for the 5th starter. Which is dumb, because Miley and an injury waiting to happen, and Mahle is looking at a make or break season.,

Reds picked up RHP Hector Perez from the Blue Jays a short while ago. He’s primarily been a starter in his MiLB career. Potential bullpen piece? That would be my guess.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

I wouldn't hesitate to cut any of the "next in liners" if they stink between now and opening day. Hoffman is out of options too, though. And they do seem to be high on De Leon's progress.

This is why I'm guessing they let Lorenzen/JDL/Antone/Santillan scramble for the 5th starter. Which is dumb, because Miley and an injury waiting to happen, and Mahle is looking at a make or break season.,
    Mahle is coming off of a season with a 3.59 seasonal ERA, and which was good for 133 ERA+. I'd argue 2020 was his make or break.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

6. Likes:

Mitri (01-22-2021),Revering4Blue (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    Reds picked up RHP Hector Perez from the Blue Jays a short while ago. He’s primarily been a starter in his MiLB career. Potential bullpen piece? That would be my guess.
    He throws 99 mph, guessing so.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Mahle is coming off of a season with a 3.59 seasonal ERA, and which was good for 133 ERA+. I'd argue 2020 was his make or break.
    2020 wasn't make or break for anybody. And I like Mahle, hope we get the true killer with a bulldog mentality we saw in the minors to finally translate into a studly #3. I just don't think he's all that great of a bet to take that next step. He and Miley are relatively low floor, low ceiling guys, which is fine. I'd just like to see them add another solid starter to that mix rather than throw a bunch of unproven swingmen at the #5 (and #6) slots.

The Reds need another reliable starter is all I'm sayin'.

10. Likes:

CySeymour (01-22-2021),HokieRed (01-22-2021),Old school 1983 (01-23-2021)

2020 wasn't make or break for anybody. And I like Mahle, hope we get the true killer with a bulldog mentality we saw in the minors to finally translate into a studly #3. I just don't think he's all that great of a bet to take that next step. He and Miley are relatively low floor, low ceiling guys, which is fine. I'd just like to see them add another solid starter to that mix rather than throw a bunch of unproven swingmen at the #5 (and #6) slots.

The Reds need another reliable starter is all I'm sayin'.
    Of the top 150 SP in innings, Mahle ranked 44th in fWAR last year.

When you add the last two seasons together, he's sandwiched between Dallas Keuchel and Anibal Sanchez in fWAR, all of them at 2.6. That ranks 68th in MLB over the two seasons.

If you take it out three years, Mahle has 3.0 fWAR. That's one-tenth of a point below Anthony Desclafani, tied with Robby Ray, and one-tenth of a point above Homer Bailey at number 97.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Of the top 150 SP in innings, Mahle ranked 44th in fWAR last year.

When you add the last two seasons together, he's sandwiched between Dallas Keuchel and Anibal Sanchez in fWAR, all of them at 2.6. That ranks 68th in MLB over the two seasons.

If you take it out three years, Mahle has 3.0 fWAR. That's one-tenth of a point below Anthony Desclafani, tied with Robby Ray, and one-tenth of a point above Homer Bailey at number 97.
    Hmm can you do the same with bWAR? Just curious.

That last line says it all, though - Disco, Robby Ray and Homer Bailey are all not good pitchers. So if that was your point, touche.

Hmm can you do the same with bWAR? Just curious.

That last line says it all, though - Disco, Robby Ray and Homer Bailey are all not good pitchers. So if that was your point, touche.
    I cannot. Perhaps others can.

If you think Mahle's more his 2018 self, he's a BOR guy.

If you think he's more his 2019 self, he's a MOR guy.

If you think he's more his 2020 self, he's a #2 guy.

I like Mahle and think a small bit of improvement could cause major changes in what sort of pitcher people estimate him to be, but my Plan A would involve him being the #4 SP instead of the #3 SP. I'd like to limit the team's reliance on him so that a step forward from him makes the Reds extra dangerous.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-22-2021),Old school 1983 (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like Mahle and think a small bit of improvement could cause major changes in what sort of pitcher people estimate him to be, but my Plan A would involve him being the #4 SP instead of the #3 SP. I'd like to limit the team's reliance on him so that a step forward from him makes the Reds extra dangerous.
    Yeah, I’m much more comfortable with Mahle taking the Desclafani role from last year and getting a more certain option to pair with Castillo and Gray. But I don’t really see that guy in FA. Paxton would be that if he could stay healthy, but he can’t. So I think it’s either make a trade or hope that one of DeLeon, Lorenzen, Antone, or Mahle takes a step forward and fills that void. I think that’s what the team will ultimately do. Maybe Lodolo or Greene can provide reinforcement by mid season, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Yeah, I’m much more comfortable with Mahle taking the Desclafani role from last year and getting a more certain option to pair with Castillo and Gray. But I don’t really see that guy in FA. Paxton would be that if he could stay healthy, but he can’t. So I think it’s either make a trade or hope that one of DeLeon, Lorenzen, Antone, or Mahle takes a step forward and fills that void. I think that’s what the team will ultimately do. Maybe Lodolo or Greene can provide reinforcement by mid season, but that’s probably wishful thinking.
    I'm holding out hope the Reds' pitching and analytical folks can spot a good rebound candidate.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm holding out hope the Reds' pitching and analytical folks can spot a good rebound candidate.
    Take a chance on Chris Archer? 3.75 FIP over 148.1 as recently as 2018. 143K in 119.2 even in a bad 2019.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Take a chance on Chris Archer? 3.75 FIP over 148.1 as recently as 2018. 143K in 119.2 even in a bad 2019.
    Maybe if he wasn’t coming off TOS surgery, but given that fact, it’s probably a “no” from me.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Maybe. Taijuan Walker kind of interests me. Had a solid return from TJ. Could be poised for better in 2021. However, what I most want is the Reds to take their shot. They should dare to have an idea and trust themselves enough to have confidence it's a good one.

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-23-2021),Revering4Blue (01-23-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?