Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Building The Pen

Re: Building The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Lorenzen and Antone might flip-flop. That looks even better if they add another SP and drop a reliever (probably Hoffman).
    Agree, Lorenzen is highly likely to start IMO. Reds aren’t paying him $4.4 million to relieve. If they wanted that salary in the pen, they would have just retained Archie Bradley who was then projected at $5 million.

Reds now have an extremely low-salaried bullpen, which is one way they are handling the current situation.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It's Amir's closer's job to lose, so says Amir

Garrett has company with other candidates who are aiming to close. Last week, the Reds signed lefty and two-time All-Star Sean Doolittle to a one-year, $1.5 million contract to compete for the job. Right-hander Lucas Sims will also get consideration.

“I feel like it’s still mine,” Garrett said. “My teammates are going to do what they’re going to do. I’m going to elevate this team the best that I can. I’m going to challenge my team as much as I can, people in the bullpen as much as I can. But as for competing, I’m competing with myself, not competing with anybody out there, especially not my teammates. I want them to just be elevated to the level that I’m at. I’m going to push them, man.”

“There’s friendly competition, but there is also, we’re the best in the world at what we do. Any competition is going to be, yes, friendly, but also a little bit fierce,” Sims said. “I think we have a lot of guys who have a lot of ability. I can only speak for myself. I do feel like I’m in a really good place. I feel like last year, I was able to do some things well, kind of showcased what I was really capable of. I think I was able to get better this offseason, too. I am happy with where I’m at now. I’m confident that I can come in and finish ballgames for us.”

Garrett wants to see Sims to strut his stuff a little more.

“Lucas had a tremendous year last year. He should be on his high horse,” Garrett said. “He should feel himself a little bit. I encourage that, because I see a difference in the pitcher that he was last year and the pitcher that he was the year before. If you had a good season, you have to ride the wave, man.”
    Mark Sheldon reds.com

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-18-2021),ochoa30 (02-18-2021)

I love having Garrett as the alpha-dog of this bullpen instead of Iglesias. The entire bullpen will be better for it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-19-2021)

I’m sure it will be discussed ad nauseam, but my choice for Reds’ OD main closer, if healthy, would be Lucas Sims.

I think Sims has the best chance to get out RHH and LHH on a consistent basis.

This is based largely on 2020 performance, which may turn out to be misleading, small sample. But I’d ride the hot hand unless and until he proves unworthy.

I’d begin the season with Doolittle in 6th-7th inning situations, if he proves to be 2018 Doolittle then he’d advance to a closer or co-closer role. Antone and Garrett as main set-ups, with Garrett closing some against LHH lineups.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-19-2021 at 09:26 AM.

9. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-19-2021),Ron Madden (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m sure it will be discussed ad nauseam, but my choice for Reds’ OD main closer, if healthy, would be Lucas Sims.
    I wouldn't lock anything in. just play matchups for the best hitters with Sims and Garrett in the 8th and 9th. Against the Cardinals with Arenado and Goldy coming up you get Sims ready whether it's the 8th or 9th. Against the Brewers with Yellich or Cubs with Rizzo you use Garrett. And if one of these guys proves dominant over the other, ride the hot hand.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-19-2021),757690 (02-19-2021),Ron Madden (02-19-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds pitcher Brandon Bailey will have Tommy John surgery next week. He will miss the 2021 season.

Bailey injury also essentially opens a spot on the 40 man roster

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Bailey injury also essentially opens a spot on the 40 man roster
    Maybe now they trade for Trevor Story...

15. Likes:

M2 (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Maybe now they trade for Trevor Story...

It's the only logical next step

17. Likes:

Kc61 (02-19-2021)

The Reds just ought to stay away from pitchers named Bailey for a while.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I wouldn't lock anything in. just play matchups for the best hitters with Sims and Garrett in the 8th and 9th. Against the Cardinals with Arenado and Goldy coming up you get Sims ready whether it's the 8th or 9th. Against the Brewers with Yellich or Cubs with Rizzo you use Garrett. And if one of these guys proves dominant over the other, ride the hot hand.
    Garrett, Doolittle and Sims could be the new Nasty Boys.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I demand they all get mullets.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

757690 (02-19-2021),Mitri (02-19-2021),Old school 1983 (02-19-2021),Revering4Blue (02-19-2021)

The Reds best years (75, 76, 90) all had multiple pitchers getting saves. Going with one closer isn't the answer.

24. Likes:

Big Klu (02-19-2021),cumberlandreds (03-04-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds pitcher Brandon Bailey will have Tommy John surgery next week. He will miss the 2021 season.
    Bailey will undergo Tommy John surgery next week and miss the entirety of the 2021 season, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports.

The 26-year-old reported to be dealing with an undisclosed injury earlier in February, and he'll end up requiring Tommy John surgery. Bailey made his big-league debut with the Astros in 2020 and gave up two earned runs on six hits over 7.1 innings, but he won't see game action again until 2022.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-19-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t see Doolittle as a fit for the new Nasty Boys. He’s an older crafty veteran.

I support Garrett, Antone, and Sims to be the new Nasty Boys.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-19-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Turn Off Ads?