Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Re: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    A few players sign that play positions the Reds aren't in the market for and suddenly it is slipping away? Doesn't add up.

I am sure someone will come back and argue about relief pitchers, but nothing has linked the Reds to looking for high cost relief pitchers.
    Reds were hoping for a severely depressed market to bring them one of the primo SS on a short deal. But the market has turned out to look relatively healthy in terms of AAV and the market for guys like Semien seems to be growing, not shrinking. It could be the Reds are fine with any of the big 3 SS, it just has to be in their terms.

When teams like Toronto, SD and NY Mets suddenly return to the big spenders club it doesn't help smaller market orgs waiting for players to get desperate. These teams (and the others in the club) will just scoop up all of the talent, positional needs be damned, and sort out the rest when the season begins.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Reds were hoping for a severely depressed market to bring them one of the primo SS on a short deal. But the market has turned out to look relatively healthy in terms of AAV and the market for guys like Semien seems to be growing, not shrinking. It could be the Reds are fine with any of the big 3 SS, it just has to be in their terms.

When teams like Toronto, SD and NY Mets suddenly return to the big spenders club it doesn't help smaller market orgs waiting for players to get desperate. These teams (and the others in the club) will just scoop up all of the talent, positional needs be damned, and sort out the rest when the season begins.
    I have a hard time believing any of those teams will acquire one of the main 3 SS, unless it is a bargain in which case they Reds have probably nabbed one. They would be more inclined to grab a guy like Profar for a utility role instead of Didi.

There are very few suitors for the SS. That works in the Reds favor and would also help explain the lack of activity in the SS market.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 01-21-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

MLB Trade Fails That Will Keep Haunting Teams in 2021

Cincinnati Reds: The Brad Keller Trade

Aaron Gash/Associated Press
    The Deal (Dec. 14, 2017): Cincinnati Reds get PTBNL or cash; Kansas City Royals get RHP Brad Keller (8.3 WAR)

Sans National League Cy Young Award winner Trevor Bauer, who's a free agent, the Reds have already traded ace closer Raisel Iglesias. Ace starters Sonny Gray and Luis Castillo could be next.

One senses that the Reds don't see an easy road back to the playoffs after snapping a six-year drought in 2020. Likewise, one wonders what would be different if they still had Brad Keller.

To be sure, the Reds never truly had Keller in their possession. They selected him from the Diamondbacks in the Rule 5 draft in December 2017, only to immediately flip him to the Kansas City Royals.

Following a season in which he'd posted a 4.68 ERA at Double-A, Keller didn't seem to be much of a prospect at the time. Yet he's quietly developed into one of baseball's top pitchers—and nastiest slider artists—since the Royals called him up in 2018, compiling a 131 ERA+ over 360.1 innings.

Those are marks only 11 other pitchers have hit over the last three seasons. The 25-year-old Keller is the youngest of the bunch, and he won't reach free agency until after 2023.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    define rather small.

i'm open to hearing an opposing viewpoint, but i still think he will get a monster contract, and there are likely more teams interested than have been reported.
    Is 3 to 4 teams rather small ??

Angels, Jays, Mets and maybe Dodgers. Short term deal (1 to 2 years, or 1 with a player option), AAV pushing $36+ million mark

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post

Angels, Jays, Mets and maybe Dodgers. Short term deal (1 to 2 years, or 1 with a player option), AAV pushing $36+ million mark
    That’s a pretty small market for a player of your caliber, Trevor.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-22-2021),Mitri (01-22-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-22-2021)

Would it be worth considering something like a ~$25million 1 year deal, with a mutual or player option for ~$35million with a ~$10 buyout (even if the player declines)? Pretty large differement, but it seems like it could expand the circle of interested teams with all of their revenue concerns this coming year.

It could also have mutual options $35million+ that appear at the end of every season...effectively making it a series of 1 year contacts that the player can jump out of at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Would it be worth considering something like a ~$25million 1 year deal, with a mutual or player option for ~$35million with a ~$10 buyout (even if the player declines)? Pretty large differement, but it seems like it could expand the circle of interested teams with all of their revenue concerns this coming year.

It could also have mutual options $35million+ that appear at the end of every season...effectively making it a series of 1 year contacts that the player can jump out of at any time.
    Well after looking at the Liam Hendriks contract I guess there are lots of possibilities. But if you want more teams involved, I suspect you still make it a short term contract and just defer money out 3, 5 or 7 years in order to ease the near term cash flow crunch because of COVID.

Looking at the market realistically, there just aren't many teams that have a need for a contract of $36+ million short term (1yr). Your window has to be next year or why both spending the excess cash above a lower tier FA or trade. And how many teams are really looking at next year being "the year" and need starting pitching to get them over the top ????

Yankees want to compete but have to reset the luxury tax and that is clearly more important to them than pushing the chips in right now. That leaves only Toronto in the AL East that might be a spot because the Red Sox clearly aren't. Dodgers already won with what they had, add Price so realistically they are a fringe candidate at best. San Diego is all in but they decided to use prospect value to assemble their pitching staff, and there is no one else in that division that is realistically going to compete with those two next year. In the AL/NL Central, maybe the Twins as they need some help solving their first round exits and other than the CWS no team is competing for a WS title. CWS made a move early in getting Lynn and their window is really a year or two out with that young talent. And so it goes when you analyze division after division. That is just a problem baseball currently has. There are just not a lot of teams that are really playing to win it all right now. 4 or 5 teams that might think that this year they could take it all. 4 or 5 more that think they could get in and then just see what happens but aren't willing to push the chips all in. Just not a lot of teams out there looking at spending the excess cash over a lower tier FA because they think it puts them over the top next year. So the pool of teams just isn't real large.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (01-25-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’ve been wondering if the Reds could get Bauer for another year or so by doing a big contract with deferrals

13. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (01-22-2021)

If he really does sign a one year deal, which I doubt, I can see the Reds still coming into play. They are playing in a weak division, and Bauer plus a SS makes them overwhelmingly favorites. With Bauer, Gray, and Castillo they could win against anyone in a short series. He admitted he enjoyed his time here. The Reds learned from Bauer's analytical mind and didn't attempt to thwart it. From his youtube video, these are all important things to him. If the Reds pony up, I could see him back for one more go.

15. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’ve been wondering if the Reds could get Bauer for another year or so by doing a big contract with deferrals
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'll go as far as say that a Reds one year offer is a fallback position for him if his conditions are not met by another team. My guess is that his conditions include multiple opt outs.

The longer Bauer is a free-agent, the more I think he and the Reds work out another one-year deal. Just my gut feeling. Could be the sammich I ate for lunch, but I don't think so.

Reds pick up RHP Hector Perez from the Blue Jays for PTBNL and cash. Source is Reds official Twitter.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

19. Likes:

Gallen5862 (01-22-2021)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    Reds pick up RHP Hector Perez from the Blue Jays for PTBNL and cash. Source is Reds official Twitter.
    Here's a write-up; laser fastball with control issues: https://jaysjournal.com/2020/01/24/t...0out%20of%2080.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Here's a write-up; laser fastball with control issues: https://jaysjournal.com/2020/01/24/t...0out%20of%2080.
    Sounds like an ok lottery ticket type pickup.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Like the move.

The Reds have been pretty good at making wild SP into serviceable RP (Garrett, Stephenson, Sims, Lorenzen). Perez might be another of those. (Of course, there's the real chance he'll never develop as well.)

Turn Off Ads?