Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Re: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Good for Bauer, I'll forever wish he could have remained a Red. He was fun to watch pitch and a fierce competitor. It's a bummer the Reds only franchise Cy Young winner didn't get to have any longevity with the team.

Edit: Good for Bauer if the deal becomes official.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Bob Nightengale tweet - Mets are favorites for Bauer with record-setting average annual contract offer.

Feinsand tweet, per source - Mets offer doesn’t eclipse the Gerrit Cole annual AAV to this point, but are in the mix.

Whatever the precise offer, Mets seem to be strongly in the hunt for Bauer.
    Bummer man. Baseball is so lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If it’s true, happy for Mets fans who have had their share of misery.

But you are right about baseball, not a very exciting off-season for fans of many teams.

If he’s about to get an AAV similar to Cole that is a hard pass from me. He’s 30 years old.

Remember prior to this last very short season where Bauer only pitched against the two worst divisions in baseball you didn’t think he was good. Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (01-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If he’s about to get an AAV similar to Cole that is a hard pass from me. He’s 30 years old.

Remember prior to this last very short season where Bauer only pitched against the two worst divisions in baseball you didn’t think he was good. Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    Fair enough. It’s just more a bummer that of course the Reds had their first ever Cy Young in a clusterf’d natural disaster season of 2 months where you couldn’t even go see the guy pitch in person. I wish they could keep him for another year at least.

I also wish baseball would make their soft salary cap official so they would have to institute a salary floor, so maybe the Reds would actually get to keep these guys after seasons like this.

Fair enough. It’s just more a bummer that of course the Reds had their first ever Cy Young in a clusterf’d natural disaster season of 2 months where you couldn’t even go see the guy pitch in person. I wish they could keep him for another year at least.

I also wish baseball would make their soft salary cap official so they would have to institute a salary floor, so maybe the Reds would actually get to keep these guys after seasons like this.
    I agree. To be fair I am not convinced Bauer would have stayed in Cincinnati regardless of a competitive offer. He has made it clear for some time his “brand” and social media presence is very important to him and there is a lot more exposure on the coasts.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Better yet, allow teams to exceed the cap if they "purchase" cap space from other teams -- usually by trading prospects. A cap of, say $180M wouldn't ever be exceeded by the Reds, so they could trade some of that space to the Mets so they can sign Bauer.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

me watching the Bauer and the NY Media ...
    Name:  popcorn.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  193.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-26-2021),redsfandan (01-26-2021)

when is the last time the mets signed a big-time free agent or traded for a big-money player and it worked out? i can think of several massive failures (bobby bonilla, etc) but zero that they've hit on.

oh, mike piazza. but that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    when is the last time the mets signed a big-time free agent or traded for a big-money player and it worked out? i can think of several massive failures (bobby bonilla, etc) but zero that they've hit on.

oh, mike piazza. but that's pretty much it.
    Beltran

NY Media is going to have fun with Bauer.

Realmuto to Phils seems done based on Heyman tweet.

Mark Feinsand
    @Feinsand
    The Phillies have agreed to a new deal with J.T. Realmuto, signing the free-agent catcher to a five-year, $115.5 million deal, per source.

Realmuto deal may clarify the shortstop situation since Phils are one of few teams with that need.

Wouldn’t be shocked if they try to sign Simmons now, there were rumors Phils had interest in last few days. Phils may want an affordable option after big Realmuto contract.

All of which means Reds may be nearing time for a decision.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-26-2021 at 03:05 PM.

18. Likes:

redsmetz (01-26-2021)

a catcher getting $23M per year over 5 years leads me to believe the market might be better than we were originally led to believe.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?