Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Re: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi
    Cameron Maybin is signing a minor-league contract with the Cubs, source says; the deal includes an invitation to MLB camp.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    For $5-6.5 million this year Reds could have had one of Archie Bradley; Chris Archer;
    Alex Colome; Cesar Hernandez; Kirby Yates; Anthony Bass; Kevin Pillar; among other choices.
    I'd take Kirby Yates but the rest of that group either doesn't fit (Cesar Hernandez) or just doesn't really make us much better. But Yates also got a 5.5M guaranteed with another 4.5M in incentives.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Chris Archer is just a name. He’s terrible at this point.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

DocRed (02-20-2021),Griffey012 (02-20-2021),HammerTime (02-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Chris Archer is just a name. He’s terrible at this point.
    True, but so is Miley.
    I think the point is, there was an opportunity to improve the Reds significantly by spending maybe 5-10 million.
    Now of course, all those signings aren't risk free and the right choices would have to be made, which is beyond my skill level.
    We all hope Dolittle and Bedrosian do well, but they might both end up terrible too. Both are pretty high risk.
    I'm glad the Reds got them, and I'm not saying they will definitely suck, just that they are risky too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    True, but so is Miley.
    I think the point is, there was an opportunity to improve the Reds significantly by spending maybe 5-10 million.
    Now of course, all those signings aren't risk free and the right choices would have to be made, which is beyond my skill level.
    We all hope Dolittle and Bedrosian do well, but they might both end up terrible too. Both are pretty high risk.
    I'm glad the Reds got them, and I'm not saying they will definitely suck, just that they are risky too.
    Archer is not an improvement over Miley. Miley was actually pretty good in 2019. 3.98 ERA. Archer was awful. 5.12 ERA.

I’d rather go with Miley over Archer this year

Miley was hurt for most of 2020, only pitched 14 innings. I’m not sitting here saying he’s good and is going to pitch well this year, but he’s actually a better option than Archer and many of the veteran SPs on the market. I wanted the reds to sign Walker or Paxton, but Archer and his ilk are at best redundant.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 02-20-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

DocRed (02-20-2021),Edd Roush (02-20-2021),Griffey012 (02-20-2021)

Don’t know the best thread to say this, but Bobby Nightengale and Charlie Goldsmith are writing some quality stuff for for the Enquirer this spring. A far cry from the John Fay days. Good articlecby Charlie Goldsmith here.

Inside catcher Tyler Stephenson’s road to the Cincinnati Reds

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/6771337002/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

757690 (02-20-2021),M2 (02-20-2021),Ron Madden (02-20-2021),Tuff Nut (02-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    True, but so is Miley.
    Where is this so-called opportunity?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Archer is not an improvement over Miley. Miley was actually pretty good in 2019. 3.98 ERA. Archer was awful. 5.12 ERA.

I’d rather go with Miley over Archer this year

Miley was hurt for most of 2020, only pitched 14 innings. I’m not sitting here saying he’s good and is going to pitch well this year, but he’s actually a better option than Archer and many of the veteran SPs on the market. I wanted the reds to sign Walker or Paxton, but Archer and his ilk are at best redundant.
    On top of that Walker and Paxton might carry more name value than expected performance. Paxton has a lengthy injury history and lost 3 mph on his fastball last year in limited starts, it'll be important to see if that was a 2020 blip or part of a decline. Walker has a nice ERA, but under the hood the numbers were merely mediocre.

Miley only threw 14 innings last year. He was horrendous in his first game before going on DL. Other than that game he was pretty good. 3.38 ERA in August in 10 innings and 2 scoreless innings in Sep.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

14. Likes:

ochoa30 (02-20-2021),Ron Madden (02-20-2021)

Cubs designated our old friend Ervin for assignment.

Tomorrow, Reds sign Ervin to play SS.

The Cubs have designated outfielder Phillip Ervin for assignment. The move opens up a roster spot for Jake Marisnick, whose signing is now official.

This is the third DFA in less than six months for Ervin, who was first designated by the Reds at the end of August and then claimed by the Mariners. The Cubs then claimed Ervin off Seattle’s waiver wire in December. Since Ervin is out of minor league options, it’s possible he could be a frequent visitor to DFA limbo over the course of the 2021 season.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com

If I’m Reds, I give Phil Ervin a spring training invite. I’m sure few, if any, agree, but I’d do it.

He’s done pretty well when he gets some playing time. He plays good corner OF and can fill in as a CFer in a pinch.

As we all know, he’s had stretches in which he destroys LHP, which Reds need, though that’s been overstated at times.

I’m not sure they have a fifth outfielder who fits their needs better. Especially since Aquino didn’t show that well last season. Worth a look IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-20-2021 at 09:12 PM.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (02-20-2021),mth123 (02-21-2021)

If I’m Reds, I give Phil Ervin a spring training invite. I’m sure nobody agrees, but I’d do it.

He’s done pretty well when he gets some playing time. He plays good corner OF and can fill in as a CFer in a pinch.

As we all know, he’s had stretches where he destroys LHP, which Reds need, although that’s been overstated at times.

I’m not sure they have a fifth outfielder who fits their need better.
    No problem with that as an invite costs them nothing. Yet he wasn't a lefty wrecker in the minors.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If I’m Reds, I give Phil Ervin a spring training invite. I’m sure few, if any, agree, but I’d do it.

As we all know, he’s had stretches in which he destroys LHP, which Reds need, though that’s been overstated at times.

I’m not sure they have a fifth outfielder who fits their needs better. Especially since Aquino didn’t show that well last season. Worth a look IMO.
    Ervin can't fill in CF in a pinch, he can barely play the corners. I'd much rather give AA the chance, but even he makes me want to bring in some new blood to the 5th OF spot.

21. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Ervin can't fill in CF in a pinch, he can barely play the corners. I'd much rather give AA the chance, but even he makes me want to bring in some new blood to the 5th OF spot.
    I don’t expect Reds to reacquire Ervin - but don’t agree about his play in the corners. In his years as a Red he was fine in LF, and does have CF experience in a pinch.

Sometimes bench players don’t get going in very limited playing time. When Phil played more, as in 2018-19, he did well for a backup, but in 2020 Reds kept a glut of OFers on the roster.

As for giving AA a chance, he’s in a similar position. Out of options, needs to impress in limited time. Not easy, especially after his play last year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-21-2021 at 08:44 AM.

Turn Off Ads?