Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Re: 2020-2021 Off-season News Notes and Discussion #2

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If I’m Reds, I give Phil Ervin a spring training invite. I’m sure few, if any, agree, but I’d do it.

He’s done pretty well when he gets some playing time. He plays good corner OF and can fill in as a CFer in a pinch.

As we all know, he’s had stretches in which he destroys LHP, which Reds need, though that’s been overstated at times.

I’m not sure they have a fifth outfielder who fits their needs better. Especially since Aquino didn’t show that well last season. Worth a look IMO.
    I like him better than some of the 5th OF they have. He'd be a decent RH bench bat IMO. I'd go with six OF and add him. Winker, Cast, Senzel, Shogo, Naquin and Ervin. My IF would be Votto, Moose, Garcia, Suarez with Farmer add Barnhart and Stephenson and there is the position group. I wouldn't be afraid to use Senzel in the IF when needed.

Ervin can also run, so if they are looking for a runner on second in extra innngs, he could do that. Then they wouldn't need to keeep strange-Gordon for that. Another plus for signing Ervin.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-21-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like him better than some of the 5th OF they have. He'd be a decent RH bench bat IMO. I'd go with six OF and add him. Winker, Cast, Senzel, Shogo, Naquin and Ervin. My IF would be Votto, Moose, Garcia, Suarez with Farmer add Barnhart and Stephenson and there is the position group. I wouldn't be afraid to use Senzel in the IF when needed.

Ervin can also run, so if they are looking for a runner on second in extra innngs, he could do that. Then they wouldn't need to keeep strange-Gordon for that. Another plus for signing Ervin.
    Ervin > Aquino or Naquin?

I'd argue they're all about the same.

Because the Reds are slightly LH, I'd lean toward Aquino. He's cheaper, has monster pop, and is a bit faster, IIRC. Great arm could come in handy late too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Ervin > Aquino or Naquin?

I'd argue they're all about the same.

Because the Reds are slightly LH, I'd lean toward Aquino. He's cheaper, has monster pop, and is a bit faster, IIRC. Great arm could come in handy late too.
    With Aquino out of options, I think he’s the favorite. After his monster showing in 2019 I’m not sure Reds want to give up on him. He may not be best suited for a backup role, his defense is best in RF. But his upside is probably too great for Reds to put him on the waiver wire.

It’s a long season, a number of guys will get chances with injuries, etc. Can’t get too worried about fifth OF roles, which are always subject to change in-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-21-2021 at 09:31 AM.

5. Likes:

M2 (02-21-2021)

I would still try to trade Aquino for a backup middle infielder or a 1b/3b type prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It’s a long season, a number of guys will get chances with injuries, etc. Can’t get too worried about fifth OF roles, which are always subject to change in-season.
    That's a great point.

There likely aren't many ABs for a 5th OF beyond PH opportunities.

Ian Desmond announced that he's opting out of his final season with the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Ian Desmond announced that he's opting out of his final season with the Rockies.
    Makes it sound family related and I am sure it is. But you just have to wonder if all the turmoil with the Rockies this off season plays a role and he just chose not to include it in his statement.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-21-2021)

Two years in a row he's opted out. Sounds like a guy who's done with baseball at age 35.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Ohtani worked with the Driveline folks this off-season.

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Jake Lamb deal with Braves is agreed to. Pending physical. Solid late pickup.
    David O'Brien @DOBrienATL
    Jake Lamb deal, pending physical, would give #Braves a LH-hitting backup corner INF option with power, as long as he can stay healthy. Hit 59 homers in 300 games during 2016-2017 with Ariz, but played just 65 games in 2018-2020 and hit .205 w/ 15 HRs and .660 OPS in 573 PAs.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-21-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Two years in a row he's opted out. Sounds like a guy who's done with baseball at age 35.
    If you read what's he's been saying for months in news reels he's simply become disheartened by big dollar interests outweighing real world issues - covid, racism, etc...

He's either got a huge heart and/or he's made enough money in his career that he no longer has that never ending gnawing reality that most people have which is to make ends meet, which allows for the more philosophical discussions he wants to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    ....but played just 65 games in 2018-2020 and hit .205 w/ 15 HRs and .660 OPS in 573 PAs.
    he played a lot more than 65 games in 2018-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    he played a lot more than 65 games in 2018-2020
    Forgot that pesky 1. It was 165.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Hunter Greene on pitching in big leagues: "I want to be there this season. That's solely my goal is to get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    If you read what's he's been saying for months in news reels he's simply become disheartened by big dollar interests outweighing real world issues - covid, racism, etc...

He's either got a huge heart and/or he's made enough money in his career that he no longer has that never ending gnawing reality that most people have which is to make ends meet, which allows for the more philosophical discussions he wants to have.
    That's exactly it. Hasn't got the fire in the belly anymore. That's not a bad thing. Better than going thru the motions just to get paid.

19. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?