9 11.25%
  • Didi Gregorius

33 41.25%
  • Marcus Semien

36 45.00%
  • Existing Player in the Org

2 2.50%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which SS Would You Prefer?

Re: Poll: Which SS Would You Prefer?

Aside from the cost in prospects, Story gets $18.5M for 2021 and then becomes a free agent. Given the bumper crop of 2021 free agent SS, the appeal of a one-year prove-it deal is much lower than one might think especially after the way it didn't work for Didi last year. The way the market is shaping up, maybe we can get 2 years of one of the other 3 for that amount and save the prospects. That would give us a little more cushion to see how Garcia develops.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the Athletic posted an article today asking the exact same question of 9 talent evaluators assuming the same contract for each of the three. It sounds like it was a pretty close call for most of them, but forced to choose 5 went with Didi, 3 for Semien and 1 for AS.

Among the three, at this point, I think we have to focus on a hitter as long as the defense is at least adequate. All 3 of them can probably provide that or better. So who is going to hit? Well based upon recent history that will be whoever the Reds don't choose. But if I"m making the call I'd go for Semien's upside over Didi's consistency and AS's defense, if the money is equal for all 3. But I'd be reasonably happy with any of the 3.
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 01-22-2021 at 04:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    It’s about a dead heat between Gregorius and Semien in my mind. Didi has better contact skills and defense. Semien gets the edge in power potential and durability. I’d be more than happy to add either player.
    Except it really isn't. Semien has has had just 1 season with an OPS+ above average, Didi has had 3 (all in the past 4 seasons too).

I think it's Didi leaps and bounds over Semien. I know as a fan I'd much rather go with the risk of Didi performing to his average over the past 5 years or so to hoping that Semien plays like he did in 2019 only.

4. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (01-22-2021),TexasRedsFan (01-23-2021)

Semien is my clear #1 option assuming the ask is too big on Story.

I picked Semien for his durability. I'd hate to nab Didi on a 3 year deal and get a couple of 80-game seasons. I have a good feeling Semien's bat would take off in GAB, and he seems a bit more versatile on the infield.

Head-to-head, if both have guaranteed health, Didi holds the advantage. Better plate approach, better true SS glove, safer pick to produce solid value.

I'm pretty much torn and would be ecstatic with either guy.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-23-2021)

All depends on the contract. I suspect Story is not really an option. Among the other three, I'd prefer Semien or Didi to Simmons, but I don't want to go beyond three years for any of them. Seems most likely to get Simmons on a 2 so I'm going to prefer him. If he stays healthy, he is a huge upgrade over what we had last year.

Are we even positive Story is available?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Head-to-head, if both have guaranteed health, Didi holds the advantage. Better plate approach, better true SS glove, safer pick to produce solid value.
    Semien's BB% is almost double Gregorius's.

Over their respective careers, Gregorius BB% is 6.0. (That's bad.)

Semien's is 9.0. (That's not bad.)
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 01-22-2021 at 05:46 PM.

11. Likes:

Mitri (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Semien's BB% is almost double Gregorius's.

Over their respective careers, Gregorius BB% is 6.0. (That's bad.)

Semien's is 9.0. (That's not bad.)
    Yes, Semien takes more pitches....it's offset by this --->

Semien's career K% - 20%

Didi's Career K% - 14%

Again, I'll take the guy who puts the bat to the ball.

Really the only thing Semien does leaps and bounds better is hit lefties, and lefties only throw 27% of the pitches in the major leagues.

Semien had one huge year, I'd rather the Reds not hope and pray he repeats it....multiple times over his next contract.

13. Likes:

ochoa30 (01-22-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Sign Simmons to a small contract, and then sign Bauer.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

drowg14 (01-23-2021)

Didi is the best combination of contact hitting and defense. The Reds need both.

17. Likes:

mth123 (01-23-2021),TexasRedsFan (01-23-2021)

So, I didn’t know this but just saw it mentioned on Reddit. Apparently Simmons is known as a bit of a conspiracy theory nut and quit with a week left in the season after going on an Instagram tirade about vaccines and stuff.

That’s gonna be a hard pass for me, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    So, I didn’t know this but just saw it mentioned on Reddit. Apparently Simmons is known as a bit of a conspiracy theory nut and quit with a week left in the season after going on an Instagram tirade about vaccines and stuff.

That’s gonna be a hard pass for me, Bob.
    It's not your job to be as confused as Andrelton.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-26-2021)

Any one of them is a nice upgrade. I think this team would greatly benefit from the defensive element that Simmons brings to the table.

Still, Didi has to be the top guy and I’d be thrilled to get him and he gets my vote.

But I would not be sad at all to get either Simmons or Semien as a consolation.

I kind of have them tied. Simmons is a SURE thing defensively. I think you can kind of predict what exactly you are going to get with him. Whereas Semien is a guy you hope plays up to and hopefully exceeds the value you will invest in him, but it’s more of a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I just don’t get why people think so highly of Didi. He is not a very good hitter nor fielder. Among the three has the lowest bWAR by quite a margin. Career .315 OBP.

Semien has the higher RC+, career bWAR, is a bit younger, more durable, arguably more versatile.

Didi has the better pure SS glove and his time with the championship-caliber NYY has to count for something.

I do think Semien will require a bigger contract than Didi, which Krall may want to avoid.

Turn Off Ads?