Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall Weighing SS Options

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money ...
    Don’t buy a professional sports team and talk for a decade about wanting to win then. No one put a gun to BobC’s head. Give me a break.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

BillDoran (01-27-2021),Billy_Bearcat (01-27-2021),Chainsaw (01-27-2021),KronoRed (01-27-2021),M2 (01-27-2021),Patrick Bateman (01-27-2021),REDREAD (01-27-2021),Redsfaithful (01-27-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

My goal for Reds at this point is just to hold things together. Don’t let go of more good players. Get a reasonable shortstop. Get another solid reliever. Then compete in a weakened division.

Didi would be even better, a true improvement, great if they could do it. But more concerned about the downside of another Iglesias-type trade if money is so tight.

Maybe there are questions about finances going forward, but for now hope they can salvage a fairly good ballclub for 2021 in a weak NL Central.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-27-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Shortstop Options

Its starting to look like Gregorious is the last one standing and he's likely to go back to the Phillies given the money that Simmons and Semien just got.. Krahl will have to get creative or let Garcia and Farmer share the spot. Any thoughts on Addison Russell? Troubled past but is still young and was productive at one time and would come cheap. Is Jonathan Villar capable of playing everyday at short ... I'm assuming Cozart's days as a shortstop and likely a major league player are gone.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Shortstop Options

Signing someone like Addison Russell is a “stop being a fan of this team” level offense to me

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-27-2021),Edd Roush (01-27-2021),Patrick Bateman (01-27-2021),Red Raindog (01-27-2021),RedsFanInMS (01-27-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-27-2021),Roy Tucker (01-27-2021),WildcatFan (01-27-2021)

Yes, I hope they get Didi, but I assumed it was a long shot the whole time to get one of the "big 3" FA SS.
    Just not consistent with the cost cutting they have done so far this offseason.
    I hope someone bumps this post in a few weeks and taunts me for being wrong.
    I expected all along the starting SS would either be Farmer, or a cheap pickup like Villar or Russel (Not trying to get into a moral debate about Russel, but he's a good example of a cheap backfill).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

He's getting a little long in the tooth but why not kick the tires on Dave Concepcion?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I think the Reds should be in on Jonathan Villar regardless of if they are in on Didi or not. Guy likely might not take more than a minor league deal at this point. Has been a successful big league player in recent memory. Adds speed to a station to station team. And if Didi signs, he becomes the best piece off the bench and potentially could fill in as a starting caliber player if a guy goes down. Frankly, Villar and a impact starting pitching addition and/or a back end of the pen guy would make me happier than Didi and nothing else.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2021),Shoeless Jeff (01-27-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Where I'm at...

High on Didi
    Fine with Villar
    Hard "no" on Russell
    Trades evaluated if/when they happen.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2021),RedsManRick (01-27-2021),SirFelixCat (01-27-2021)

Another factor with Villar. If Garcia breaks down the door, he’s not in the way. If he’s playing well too, he can man other spots. If Garcia falls on his face, Villar doesn’t stop you from getting in on the SS market next year. The more I think about it, the more I want Villar and a fortified pitching staff than just Didi.

16. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-27-2021),SirFelixCat (01-27-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I feel like they’re going to have to settle for Villar. I would’ve been fine with that a couple years ago, and I discount most players’ 2020 performances.

But for the amount of payroll they’ve cut, that’s an unacceptable level of improvement for me with this team.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-27-2021),BEETTLEBUG (01-27-2021),CarolinaRedleg (01-27-2021),Edd Roush (01-27-2021),Mitri (01-27-2021),REDREAD (01-27-2021),RedsFanInMS (01-27-2021),SirFelixCat (01-27-2021)

Hanser Alberto is still out there as well. While he hasn't played SS since 2018 when he did he was slightly above league average defenseively per BR and FG (although granted a small sample size). Keep in mind Orioles had Iglesias at SS last year. Definitely not an ideal situation but probably better than running Garcia/Farmer out there again. Plus he is likely to be much cheaper than Didi or even Villar. The Orioles non-tenderered him and he was expected to make $2-4M this year in arb.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...lberha01.shtml
    https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ha...position=2B/3B
    Last edited by DocRed; 01-27-2021 at 11:58 AM.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2021)

This is depressing.

22. Likes:

ochoa30 (01-27-2021),REDREAD (01-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    He's getting a little long in the tooth but why not kick the tires on Dave Concepcion?
    Gookie and Pokey are rested.

MLBtaderumors shows these MI as available still
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021-...er/positions-4

PLAYER POSITION
    Leury Garcia 2B / SS
    Didi Gregorius SS
    Joe Panik 2B / SS / 3B
    Addison Russell 2B / SS
    Eric Sogard SS / 3B
    Jonathan Villar 2B / SS
    Last edited by klw; 01-27-2021 at 11:51 AM.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Must be tough for Bob to walk the tightrope between being cheap and not being perceived as being cheap...
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Don’t buy a professional sports team and talk for a decade about wanting to win then. No one put a gun to BobC’s head. Give me a break.
    RMR’s post is cute, but it really doesn’t reflect the facts.

Cast’s problem at the beginning, up until 2013, was that he was too committed to winning, spending too much money. He let Jocketty get anyone he wanted, regardless of salary, and even extended newly acquired players. Then he extended key Reds, Votto, Phillips and Bailey at full market value.

So he was fully committed to winning and spent what he thought was needed to win during his first 7 years as owner. He wasn’t just trying not to be perceived as cheap. He maxed out the Reds payroll in order to build a long term winning franchise.

Of course, we now know that was a bad idea, and it resulted in a 180 change in philosophy, a new GM and tanking. I was 100% against the tanking, but there is no way you can claim he was worried about being perceived as cheap. He went full on cheap and didn’t hide it. He did this because he was convinced that this was best long term route for the team.

Then, after 4 years of tanking, he started spending again, and made many moves to get the Reds back to competing again. This was not just for perception, the Reds raised their payroll to the highest it had ever been.

This year, we don’t know where the payroll will end up, so it’s unfair to judge Cast on his spending at this point.

There is much to criticize Cast, but he never waffled between being cheap and not being perceived as cheap. That’s an unfair shot.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Is Rich Aurilia available?

*ducks out of thread*

27. Likes:

Mitri (01-27-2021),REDREAD (01-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?