Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001

Thread: Nick Krall Weighing SS Options

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Nick Krall Weighing SS Options

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    At first glance, I thought Sogard might be worth more Scrabble points but upon investigation, it appears that Garcia is worth 9 Scrabble points to 8 for Sogard. The "C" in Garcia puts him over the top and shows his destiny is to wear the Reds cap.
    You’ve convinced me. The Reds’ next shortstop should be Zaq Kooxxqueef
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

757690 (03-04-2021),Edd Roush (03-04-2021),klw (03-04-2021),M2 (03-04-2021),mth123 (03-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    At first glance, I thought Sogard might be worth more Scrabble points but upon investigation, it appears that Garcia is worth 9 Scrabble points to 8 for Sogard. The "C" in Garcia puts him over the top and shows his destiny is to wear the Reds cap.
    If you’re a fan of Scrabble, I recommend the movie, “Sometimes, Always, Never” with Bill Nighy. It’s weird, and centered on the game.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    You’ve convinced me. The Reds’ next shortstop should be Zaq Kooxxqueef
    There’s only one “Q” and one “Z” tile in scrabble, so you couldn’t use his name in an actual game, if we are going to be extremely scrabble nerdy about this. Although you can’t use proper names in the game anyway, so...
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

while in the process of weighing options, the dumbbell (very apt name) was dropped on nick krall's foot. at that point he was just like, "screw it, let's see if we can dust off willie mays hayes (aka dee strange-gordon) and make him our shortstop."

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'd love for Garcia to be a better option. Not sure that's the case in 2021. Sogard did not hit well last year, but he's had better offensive years in the major leagues in recent seasons than Garcia's ever had in A ball.

But to be clear, I'm not saying that we should have brought in Sogard in order to prevent Garcia from getting a shot. We should have brought a guy like Sogard in to prevent the likes of Kyle Holder from getting a shot.
    The offensive difference between Sogard and Garcia likely doesn’t make a big enough difference to overcome how much better defensively Garcia is.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

In the meantime, the early results on Farmer look good.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

9. Likes:

757690 (03-04-2021),Ron Madden (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm holding out some hope for Kyle Farmer as well, but I think he's more or less a known quantity. You can make reasonable arguments that consistent playing time might help or that his new weight will improve his bat, but across four seasons, he's a sub-80 wRC+. He might play passable defense, but no matter what he does during spring training, he's going to be poor at the dish. There's a reason he's 30 with 364 career PA. He's not a particularly good hitter, and he won't be in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    as the starting shortstop on a contender? i would strongly disagree with that.

especially based on 3 spring training games. we know what kyle farmer is. he hasn't magically transformed into a good player at the age of 29.

I fully expect Kyle Farmer to be terrible at the plate, again, in 2021. He's not a bad all-around defender, but once Garcia comes up I don't really see what he brings to mid-season Reds. I'd rather give a kid like Blandino one last shot than keep Farmer around because he's a good teammate.

13. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I fully expect Kyle Farmer to be terrible at the plate, again, in 2021. He's not a bad all-around defender, but once Garcia comes up I don't really see what he brings to mid-season Reds. I'd rather give a kid like Blandino one last shot than keep Farmer around because he's a good teammate.
    Admittedly, i don't know much about Blandino. Does he have the glove to stick at SS? I'm not sure if he was ever given a chance as he was moved to 2B/3B when his professional career started. He does seem to have a good eye at the plate (lifetime .365 OBP in the minors, including .386 and .390 his last 2 years at Louisville). He's probably not much more than Farmer, but he's more of an unknown and could surprise.

WE have reached 1,000 posts for this thread. If you would like to start a new one about this subject feel free to do so.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?