Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall Weighing SS Options

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Should be noted, when small market teams look to move players they really should want to keep if they were inclined to field a respectable team, they frequently get pantsed. Other teams are happy to rip them off on their way down. In this case, I'm not sure the Reds did anything other than gauge the market value of their players. It just got leaked because other teams were trying to shake them loose, at least it seems that way. If that enraged Castellini and now he wants payback, cool.
    The early off season moves certainly seemed a reaction to an edict to reduce costs. My assumption is the smoke about moving some vets were driven by that thinking as well. Perhaps the meager offers received driven by a pandemic market and later combined with news that a viable vaccine had arrived allowing for a return to some normal sooner than later, led to a change in direction.

Regardless, here's hoping the FO can make the best of the current market instead of getting pantsed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

Must be tough for Bob to walk the tightrope between being cheap and not being perceived as being cheap...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (01-21-2021),Edd Roush (01-18-2021),membengal (01-18-2021),New Fever (01-18-2021),nmculbreth (01-18-2021),REDREAD (01-18-2021),redsfanmia (01-18-2021),RedsLvr (02-02-2021),Roy Tucker (01-18-2021),The Operator (01-18-2021),WrongVerb (01-18-2021),Z-Fly (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Must be tough for Bob to walk the tightrope between being cheap and not being perceived as being cheap...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

I don’t care if he decides to not be cheap for dumb image reasons. As long as he’s not being cheap.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Rolando (01-18-2021),The Operator (01-18-2021)

So which SS does everyone want?

31 yr old - LHH - career .748 with a big year in 2018 and 2020 (and better D)

Or

30yr old - RHH - career .747 with 1 huge year in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post

Or

I want Tatis Jr.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-18-2021),Rojo Rijo (01-18-2021),The Operator (01-18-2021),WrongVerb (01-18-2021)

This is what they should be doing. The iron is hot. Strike.

They should be doing the same thing the Padres are doing, asking "why not us?"
    Bigger picture goals in mind. Don't sacrifice the long term views of an organization because of a temporary dip in revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I want Tatis Jr.
    Nope, you have to pick one in their 30’s!

Or

I'm happy with either. But I'd rather not see the Reds get saddled with another $50MM deal for a 30+ guy, so whichever one will settle for a shorter deal.

Or

I will take literally either because they're both going to be massive upgrades at shortstop.

I don't really care who we get at this point. As long as we get somebody and don't overpay for them. It shouldn't be hard to entice bats to play in GABP.

If I had to choose, I'll take the RHH to beat the shift, knowing our team hitting philosophy.

Iglesias was an overpaid saboteur, and the guy they got for him can replace his production for a fraction of the cost.
    as i said, based on any advanced metric there is, iglesias was a "good" MLB closer. not great, but certainly good.

but around here, based on the posts you read, one would think he was among the worst closers in MLB. that is just not based in fact, though. fact is, he's a good closer. the guy the reds got for him cannot replace his production for a fraction of the cost. the guy the reds got for him is a fringe MLBer at best.

16. Likes:

mth123 (01-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    as i said, based on any advanced metric there is, iglesias was a "good" MLB closer. not great, but certainly good.

but around here, based on the posts you read, one would think he was among the worst closers in MLB. that is just not based in fact, though. fact is, he's a good closer. the guy the reds got for him cannot replace his production for a fraction of the cost. the guy the reds got for him is a fringe MLBer at best.
    Strawman (strawmen?)
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I will take literally either because they're both going to be massive upgrades at shortstop.

I don't really care who we get at this point. As long as we get somebody and don't overpay for them. It shouldn't be hard to entice bats to play in GABP.

If I had to choose, I'll take the RHH to beat the shift, knowing our team hitting philosophy.

Agreed. I'm curious what it will take to get either one. I'd guess a minimum 2yr/30 million. If neither bite on that, maybe add a a third year option at another 15 million. Do the Reds go that high?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    And based on any advanced metric there is, Noe Ramirez was better than Iglesias in 2019.

Here's their 2019-20 combined numbers:

88.2 IP, 3.76 ERA, 123 ERA+, 1.162 WHIP, 1.1 HR/9, 9.4 K/9
    90 IP, 3.80 ERA, 124 ERA+, 1.144 WHIP, 1.3 HR/9, 12.0 K/9

They literally just replaced his production for a fraction of the cost.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (01-27-2021)

Or

Can I pick the 28-year-old RHH with a career .877 OPS?
    Last edited by M2; 01-18-2021 at 05:03 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?