Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall Weighing SS Options

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Can I pick the 28-year-old RHH with a career .877 OPS?
    Whos that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosenthal Reporting Cast has Instructed Krall to Go Out and Get a SS and Spend

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Strawman (strawmen?)
    i don't think that is a strawman argument at all. i am saying if one would read this message board and didn't know any better, they would think raisel iglesias is at best a league-average closer, and at worst a bad one.

truth is, based on the metrics, he's a "good" MLB closer (meaning, definitely above league average but not elite). are you saying there have been posts around here calling iglesias a good closer? because if there are, i honestly missed them.

Iggy was having far too many “dramatic” outings for my taste. Every time he entered the game, I wondered which Iggy we would see: “Shut-em-Down” Iggy, or “Let’s-Raise-Your-Blood-Pressure” Iggy.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i don't think that is a strawman argument at all. i am saying if one would read this message board and didn't know any better, they would think raisel iglesias is at best a league-average closer, and at worst a bad one.

truth is, based on the metrics, he's a "good" MLB closer (meaning, definitely above league average but not elite). are you saying there have been posts around here calling iglesias a good closer? because if there are, i honestly missed them.
    You said “one of the worst” i thought?

Either way, he’s ok. He’s a flawed closer. Why? Because he inexplicably can’t function in a non-traditional closing situation. That hurts his value in my opinion. That’s why he doesn’t stack up to someone like Hader. You give Hader the ball in the 7th inning against the best 3 hitters on the opposing team and he doesn’t ask any questions. He just goes out there and strikes people out. You give Iglesias the ball in that situation and he throws a tantrum and blows the game because he can’t get a save. I think Sims is more hader-like. I also think Amir is about to take a big step forward. Antone is legit as well. I’m good dumping Iglesias as long as they use that money to shore up a position of need like SS and more bullpen help.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 01-18-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Whos that?
    I think he’s talking about Trevor Story, who would be a great get but would obviously cost prospect capital.

7. Likes:

M2 (01-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I think he’s talking about Trevor Story, who would be a great get but would obviously cost prospect capital.
    I still have a feeling this is who the reds are going to get.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Signing DiDi or Semien to a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd was probably my first choice move for this offseason from the beginning. Let’s do this
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You said “one of the worst” i thought?

Either way, he’s ok. He’s a flawed closer. Why? Because he inexplicably can’t function in a non-traditional closing situation. That hurts his value in my opinion. That’s why he doesn’t stack up to someone like Hader. You give Hader the ball in the 7th inning against the best 3 hitters on the opposing team and he doesn’t ask any questions. He just goes out there and strikes people out. You give Iglesias the ball in that situation and he throws a tantrum and blows the game because he can’t get a save. I think Sims is more hader-like. I also think Amir is about to take a big step forward. Antone is legit as well. I’m good dumping Iglesias as long as they use that money to shore up a position of need like SS and more bullpen help.
    well, if we compare him to a complete stud like hader, yeah, i agree with ya. and frankly i found it soft as hell that iggy couldn't pitch well in non-save situations, and would then make it worse by b***ching about it when he was asked to do so. we're on the same page there 100%.

i'm just saying, by the metrics, he's a good MLB closer. and good MLB closers are not easy to find. average ones are, but iggy is better than that.

i also agree with you that if the reds sign a good SS with the money they saved by giving iglesias away for nothing, i will be pleased with that. i just need to see it first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Signing DiDi or Semien to a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd was probably my first choice move for this offseason from the beginning. Let’s do this
    it would be fantastic. and i still believe in jose garcia long-term, but we need a SS for at least this year and next.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 01-18-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    A two year deal is optimal. I suspect that FA's have not been receptive to such a deal at this point. Reds may have to wait until the music stops and there are no unoccupied chairs. My guess is Simmons.

12. Likes:

wally post (01-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Whos that?
    As mentioned above, it's Trevor Story. If they want to go for it in 2021, he's one of three guys who've made a league top 10 for position player WAR the past three seasons (with Mookie Betts and Anthony Rendon).
    Last edited by M2; 01-18-2021 at 07:40 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Must be tough for Bob to walk the tightrope between being cheap and not being perceived as being cheap...
    There is cheap and then there is thrifty.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    So which SS does everyone want?

31 yr old - LHH - career .748 with a big year in 2018 and 2020 (and better D)

Or

30yr old - RHH - career .747 with 1 huge year in 2019

Isn't the ideal SS the one who gives them a year or two to evaluate whether Garcia can level up to major league pitching?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As mentioned above, it's Trevor Story. If they want to go for it in 2021, he's one of three guys who've made a league top 10 for position player WAR the past three seasons (with Mookie Betts and Anthony Rendon).
    I completely forgot about Story. He'd probably be pure rental but I'd be willing to roll the dice. My guess his 1-year of control is a plus for this team as-constructed. I think they like Garcia and are pretty much waiting for one of these SS to sign for a year only. Might as well go big.

What would it take - India and Richardson?

17. Likes:

M2 (01-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I completely forgot about Story. He'd probably be pure rental but I'd be willing to roll the dice. My guess his 1-year of control is a plus for this team as-constructed. I think they like Garcia and are pretty much waiting for one of these SS to sign for a year only. Might as well go big.

What would it take - India and Richardson?
    Honestly, I have no idea what he would cost. Would like to find out if the Rox are in the mood to do something ill-advised.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'm still gonna believe it when I see it but, yeah the 2 weaknesses are still SS and pitching IMHO. AS of now I see a staff of:

Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley, Hoffman?

Garrett, Sims, Lorenzen, Antone, Ramirez, DeLeon, Bailey ?. Romano?

- I know a SS will be added, but I'm still hoping to add a swing type starter too! A guy that can eat innings and still be useful to the pen, and maybe add a LHRP to boot too. These 3 guys would be ok in my book to bolster the roster:

1) Andrelton Simmons- 2 year deal to give Garcia time in minors

2) Chasen Shreve- LHRP

3) Trevor Cahill- RHRP/SP- nice swing guy, might let Lodolo develop a bit longer before an august call up

20. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?