Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

I don't think I've ever seen an off-season that figures to have more prominent QB intrigue/movement than 2021. Let's count the ways.

1. Phillip Rivers retires leaving the Colts without a starter. It certainly seems like Brissett and Eason are not the future. Lots of cap room in Indy.

2. Most people think Drew Brees will retire. Will he? Hasn't happened yet. Taysom Hill being paid like a QB in waiting but is he one? Jameis Winston is a free agent. Never really got to demonstrate any improvement. Saints have worst cap situation in the NFL.

3. Matt Stafford has asked for a trade in Detroit, and it appears the Lions are amicable to that. He's 32 and has 2 more years on his current deal. Lions new HC just tweeted that Lions are 'hot and heavy' on a deal that would set them up for the future !! Lions are just about at the cap.

4. Desean Watson has asked for a trade, and the Texans say they do NOT intend to trade him. Let the games begin. Houston has no cap space, and no draft picks, and seems to be in organization disarray.

5. New England went with Cam Newton on a prove-it deal and he didn't prove it. Newton is a FA and Pats have no QB. They do have cap space.

6. Dolphins have Tua and claim they are happy with him, but rumors persist that they might trade him for a proven commodity. They have tons of draft capital and cap room.

7. The Jets have the first "non-Trevor Lawrence pick" (#2) and decisions to make. Again they say Sam is the guy, but this year gives them lots of options to reset. Lots of draft capital/lots of space.

8. Big Ben seems like a guy who has one year left and Steelers have no one waiting in the wings. They have no cap room.

9. Jaguars look to switch to Trevor Lawrence. Does Minshew stay as backup?

10. The Raiders (Gruden) always seem to be thinking about someone else than Carr. Carr now has only 2 years left on his deal.

11. The Rams signed Jared Goff to a huge deal 18 months ago, and now there's all kind of talk he's no longer their guy. Supposedly if everyone was healthy the Rams would have gone with Wofford in the playoffs. Rams have all kinds of cap issues, Wofford might allow them a bridge to a new guy.

12. Denver is widely believed to be looking again after deciding Drew Lock is not the answer.

13. Washington is desperate for a Qb after Haskins flamed out, and Smith is a 37 year old QB with one leg, and 2 big years left on deal.

14. The Giants seem to have 'just a guy' at QB in Jones.

15. The Cowboys franchised Dak Prescott, who wants to break the bank, but broke his ankle/leg in a gruesome way instead. Jerry Jones says he's going to bring him back, but it sure would solve a lot of problems if they let him go. Andy Dalton is the backup. He's a FA. Does he become a bridge QB elsewhere?

16. Philadelphia is just a mess. They signed Wentz to a huge deal, only to watch him fall off a cliff and get benched for 2nd rounder Hurts. New coach in town. Huge cap problems.

17. Green Bay has no starting issues, but they wasted a first rounder on Jordan Love in 2020. They should move him.

19. The Bears seem like they might move on from Trubisky who is coming up on time for a second deal. Nick Foles seems to be resigned to (expensive) backup status.

20. Tampa Bay has Brady who will be 44 to start 2021 and is a FA after 2021. Probably time to get the next guy.

21. Carolina seems to think that Bridgewater is not the long term answer but he has 2 more years on his deal. He'd be an ideal Bridge QB.

22. Atlanta has an expensive 37 year old Matt Ryan, with 3 years left on the deal. And a new GM/Coach who are not tied to him. Rumbling that they might attempt to do something.

23. SF seems dissatisfied with Garoppolo, who has 2 years left on his deal.

And......... it seems to be a very strong year for Qb's in the draft. Trevor Lawrence may be spoken for (presumably), but Justin Fields, and Zach Wilson seem locks to be Top 10 picks. There's a crazy wild card in Trey Lance. And there are differing opinions on the future of Mac Jones and Kyle Trask.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-30-2021 at 11:01 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-30-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-30-2021),Revering4Blue (01-30-2021),RichRed (02-10-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...006655490?s=19

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 2021.
    Lmfao!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Stafford is so much better than most people realize because he's been with a dumpster fire franchise, but that's an insane haul for Detroit. Those picks will come back to haunt LA.

This was one of my favorite passes of the entire season, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Stafford is so much better than most people realize because he's been with a dumpster fire franchise, but that's an insane haul for Detroit. Those picks will come back to haunt LA.
    If they win a SuperBowl, it will be worth it. I think the NFL is currently in a phase of there almost is not a price too big to win a championship.....because multi year "plans" so rarely work out.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I'm thinking the 2023 1st round pick was the price for the Lions taking Goff.

Well it did not take long for the people to switch horses on the carousel. Rams trade Goff to the Lions along with 2 #1's and a third. The Rams don't have a 2021 pick so I assume it's a 2022 and a 2023. The 3rd rounder is 2021.

Rams only have a 2nd, a 6th and a 7th this season.

Right off the bat this seems like a massive win for the Lions, and their new GM Brad Holmes, who came from (wait for it) the Rams !!

They get a younger guy, with more time left on his deal. If he is not 'the guy' you have a year to figure that out and then two #1s. If he is the guy, even better.

Holmes is the early front-runner for GM of the year.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-31-2021 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Well it did not take long for the people to switch horses on the carousel. Rams trade Goff to the Lions along with 2 #1's and a third. The Rams don't have a 2021 pick so I assume it's a 2022 and a 2023. The 3rd rounder is 2021.

Rams only have a 2nd, a 6th and a 7th this season.

Right off the bat this seems like a massive win for the Lions, and their new GM Brad Holmes, who came from (wait for it) the Rams !!

They get a younger guy, with more time left on his deal. If he is not 'the guy' you have a year to figure that out and then two #1s. If he is the guy, even better.

Holmes is the early runner for GM of the year.
    I think the Rams know that Goff is not the guy and Stafford could really do some damage with the Rams talent. I know they have some cap issues, so I am not sure who will stay and who will leave from their defense, but if the defense holds up next year the Rams will be one of the favorites in the NFC.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Great trade by the Lions. I’d draft whichever QB falls to them in the first round.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Great trade by the Lions. I’d draft whichever QB falls to them in the first round.
    They’re saddled with Goffs contract at least for the next two years before they can dump him without taking a dead money cap hit.

Not saying they won’t take a QB but it would likely be a developmental situation where Goff starts and whoever is drafted rides the pine for a year or so. That said I don’t know which QBs would be in the Haskins or Palmer mold that they need to sit.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They’re saddled with Goffs contract at least for the next two years before they can dump him without taking a dead money cap hit.

Not saying they won’t take a QB but it would likely be a developmental situation where Goff starts and whoever is drafted rides the pine for a year or so. That said I don’t know which QBs would be in the Haskins or Palmer mold that they need to sit.
    I'm saying they won't take a QB. I don't think it makes any sense at all. Now that they have an investment in Goff, they'll give him a chance to prove it. Now, here's what I would do. There are going to be some young QBs left standing when the music stops on this game of musical chairs. I'd pick up one of them cheap. Right now the backups in Detroit are terrible. For example if Jags released Minshew. Or if you are in the 3rd round and Kyle Trask in somehow still on the board.

I would not. I'd give Goff a chance to return to form. If he stinks you have 2 first rounders next year. This year I'd pray a QB falls to me and then trade out.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-31-2021 at 01:54 AM.

13. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (01-31-2021)

According to Schefter

The #Lions had more than 6 offers, including a few worth more than a 1st round pick. But Detroit taking on #Rams QB Jared Goff cost LA more. So it ends up as two future 1st rounders and more thanks to Goff’s contract.

Now that the Rams have traded Jared Goff, the final cost to acquire and trade him was 5 #1 draft picks.
    —two #1s to get his draft rights, a #1 overall pick to acquire him, then two more #1s to trade him.
    What will it take to acquire DeSean Watson?

16. Likes:

JaxRed (01-31-2021),paintmered (01-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Now that the Rams have traded Jared Goff, the final cost to acquire and trade him was 5 #1 draft picks.
    —two #1s to get his draft rights, a #1 overall pick to acquire him, then two more #1s to trade him.
    What will it take to acquire DeSean Watson?
    The Rams have done okay without a 1st round pick since Goff, but you'd think at some point it will come back to haunt them.

When you consider the cap hit they also took from having a mediocre Goff, I think the Vikings are off the hook for the worst deal ever. The bill for Herschel Walker was less than what the Rams would pay for Goff. Coming up fast may end up being the Laramy Tunsil deal by Houston. If the Lions fall in love with Wilson or Fields, I could see them giving up something like 7, 39, and the Rams 2022 1st round pick to move up to 3. Which would bring the grand total for Tunsil, Kenny Stills, a 4th and a 6th to 3 firsts and 2 seconds.

The NFL is about to have an NBA offseason.

Will be interesting to see how the Rams walk the salary tightrope. Both OTC and Spotrac show them more than 30 million over the cap for 2021. So they'll have to do more restructuring (mortgaging future years) to get under cap. No first rounders for next 3 years, and little ability to sign free agents.

Turn Off Ads?