Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 New York Jets and Giants - who's the king of NY?

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Now name a famous Jet after Namath. I'll wait.
    Man, I hate repeating topics for people who go off on tangents and then spend the rest of their time defending their ideas from the tangent instead of giving up and starting over again......on topic.

"quarterback"

The Advertising Mecca of New York is still patiently waiting. That QB must be a JET, as so many other successful Giant QB's have proven that the advertising media could care less about them...Eli Manning, Phil Simms and, well, more no-name quarterbacks like those two. No JET QB has come along who is a franchise Quarterback that has led them into a Super Bowl. The Media Mecca would annoint their first King of the NFL World since Joe Namath if the QB from Texas became a JET, not a Giant (yes, the Giants have more football fans in New York, but that isn't the topic here, that I chose as the topic because I started this and nobody can change the topic, though they can make up their own like Puffy did which distracted others to follow). Since Namath, there's been a lot of Dukes and Lords and Earls such as Peyton, Favre, Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, and just barely Favre, Brady and Montana, but there hasn't even been a prince, because surprisingly to most football fans, nobody cares who the best player in the NFL. But, if that player ever wore a JETS uniform again playing the position of Quarterback, the Media Mecca would annoint him King like young Arthur pulling the Sword out of the Stone. Every player in the NFL since Namath who's tried to pull out the sword has failed miserably. This is the destiny that awaits a Franchise Quarterback (and it might even work with a hired gun like a Russell Wilson) who can lead The J-E-T-S to the Super Bowl. He doesn't have to win it if he's a young franchise QB like Deshaun Watson, but he'd have to win it if he was a hired gun like Brady or Wilson or a Stafford.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Please stay on subject. The subject is Quarterbacks.
    With the disclaimer that this post is not about QB and that I have no pull as to how this forum is run...

I've been interested in this Jets-Giants discussion and find it interesting. Threads go "off topic" at times, to me, no big deal.

But to bigger point...

1) You claimed the Jets "rule their prospective sport" in NY. (as a part of a broader discussion)
    2) No one agreed with that and frankly you got a lot of pushback.
    3) You engaged, going/staying off topic. (that's cool to me)
    4) You now play traffic cop with "please stay on subject."

I'll cop to nosying in on this but c'mon, I don't know that you should be the one saying "stick to QBs."

30 minutes can't pass on television without a Joe Namath commercial. That's relevant.
    On the subject of QB's on TV, I think Namath would have been just as popular nationally had he been a Giant and his career played out the same. He's (was) a charismatic guy. (Believe it or not young Redzoners)

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-09-2021),RedsBaron (03-08-2021),Revering4Blue (03-08-2021)

"Stick to Quarterbacks"

Ok then. The number is zero.

Since hippies were a thing.

I just don't know what the point trying to be made here is. That if there was a Tom Brady that played for the Jets, he'd make more in endorsements than if he played for the Giants? How could that be even remotely verifiable?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

More proof that being a Super Star Quarterback for the New York Jets (the Jets are to New York City compared to the Giants, as the Yankees are compared to the Mets...yes, there's Mets and Giants fans, but the Jets and Yankees rule their prospective sports in the greatest media mecca in the World).

Joe Namath won't go away. He rode one great season into a lifetime of endorsements.
    Look, you wanna talk just about QBs fine - I'll be happy to have that discussion. But this was the post I responded to originally. You compared the Yankees and the Jets and then the Giants and the Mets. That's what I took issue with. Then you and you alone continue to come after me - even in your latest two pose (one where you call me Luffy, of which I am willing to give you benefit of doubt because the P and L are next to each other).

So, if you are done attacking me, telling me "I'm not a real NYer," that I am one who pulled bait and switch, that I was limited in my understanding, etc., I'd be happy to jump back in and discuss QBs. But I'm not getting in a pissing context with you and that's all you've done to me in this thread. I don't think I came at you in my original post but if I did I apologize - it was not my intent. I did say it was a "bad take" so I take responsibility for that.

Otherwise I'm done with this thread
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Apparently, Siena College did a poll in 2016.

The Giants outpolled the Jets 2 - 1 in New York.

Man, I hate repeating topics for people who go off on tangents and then spend the rest of their time defending their ideas from the tangent instead of giving up and starting over again......on topic.

"quarterback"

The Advertising Mecca of New York is still patiently waiting. That QB must be a JET, as so many other successful Giant QB's have proven that the advertising media could care less about them...Eli Manning, Phil Simms and, well, more no-name quarterbacks like those two. No JET QB has come along who is a franchise Quarterback that has led them into a Super Bowl. The Media Mecca would annoint their first King of the NFL World since Joe Namath if the QB from Texas became a JET, not a Giant (yes, the Giants have more football fans in New York, but that isn't the topic here, that I chose as the topic because I started this and nobody can change the topic, though they can make up their own like Puffy did which distracted others to follow). Since Namath, there's been a lot of Dukes and Lords and Earls such as Peyton, Favre, Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, and just barely Favre, Brady and Montana, but there hasn't even been a prince, because surprisingly to most football fans, nobody cares who the best player in the NFL. But, if that player ever wore a JETS uniform again playing the position of Quarterback, the Media Mecca would annoint him King like young Arthur pulling the Sword out of the Stone. Every player in the NFL since Namath who's tried to pull out the sword has failed miserably. This is the destiny that awaits a Franchise Quarterback (and it might even work with a hired gun like a Russell Wilson) who can lead The J-E-T-S to the Super Bowl. He doesn't have to win it if he's a young franchise QB like Deshaun Watson, but he'd have to win it if he was a hired gun like Brady or Wilson or a Stafford.
    Yo, how drunk are you right now?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I have always had the perception that the biggest overlap of fanbases were Yankees/Giants and Mets/Jets (and also Nets, although the Knicks seem to have a bigger monopoly on NYC than any other team there.)

Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers

Mets/Jets/Nets(? These people are probably still Knicks fans)/Islanders

Please stay on subject. The subject is Quarterbacks.

13. Likes:

paintmered (03-08-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-08-2021)

I think we should have a new term. Kingspointed. For when you've stated some fact and it becomes obvious to everyone (including you) that you're wrong, but you keep on defending it.

As in: "I said Brandon Larson is the greatest 3b to ever play for the Reds. Apparently it's not even close, but I've been Kingspointed, so I gotta keep talking stuff and hope people wear out before I do"
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think we should have a new term. Kingspointed. For when you've stated some fact and it becomes obvious to everyone (including you) that you're wrong, but you keep on defending it.

As in: "I said Brandon Larson is the greatest 3b to ever play for the Reds. Apparently it's not even close, but I've been Kingspointed, so I gotta keep talking stuff and hope people wear out before I do"
    We’re still talking about the Giants and Jets?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

At least it’s not as bad as Schruting something.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    With the disclaimer that this post is not about QB and that I have no pull as to how this forum is run...

I've been interested in this Jets-Giants discussion and find it interesting. Threads go "off topic" at times, to me, no big deal.

But to bigger point...

1) You claimed the Jets "rule their prospective sport" in NY. (as a part of a broader discussion)
    2) No one agreed with that and frankly you got a lot of pushback.
    3) You engaged, going/staying off topic. (that's cool to me)
    4) You now play traffic cop with "please stay on subject."

I'll cop to nosying in on this but c'mon, I don't know that you should be the one saying "stick to QBs."
    Wow!

Talk about not staying on subject or not reading posts. Unbelievable. You couldn't even get bullet number one correct.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Look, you wanna talk just about QBs fine - I'll be happy to have that discussion. But this was the post I responded to originally. You compared the Yankees and the Jets and then the Giants and the Mets. That's what I took issue with. Then you and you alone continue to come after me - even in your latest two pose (one where you call me Luffy, of which I am willing to give you benefit of doubt because the P and L are next to each other).

So, if you are done attacking me, telling me "I'm not a real NYer," that I am one who pulled bait and switch, that I was limited in my understanding, etc., I'd be happy to jump back in and discuss QBs. But I'm not getting in a pissing context with you and that's all you've done to me in this thread. I don't think I came at you in my original post but if I did I apologize - it was not my intent. I did say it was a "bad take" so I take responsibility for that.

Otherwise I'm done with this thread
    I didn't know I hit the "L".

It commented that Watson could make up any salary loss with endorsement money if he went to the Jets. Chip, staying on topic, disagreed saying that he could get equal endorsements from any City he played in if he became a Star. I rebuttled to Chip staying on topic. Then, a few days later after seeing another dozen Joe Namath commercials over that time because Namath just won't go away, I responded one time more to Chip. Then Puffy took that post completely out of context, not having read the previous three posts by me and Chip on the subject. I gave Puffy the benefit of the doubt and tried to explain the origin of post he referenced, but all the buttinski's started coming in (with the King if buttinski's, Kal Daniels, finally chiming in with his usual "quotes" taken out of context) and the original disagreement between Chip and I was overwrought with pointless posts where people were arguing with themselves, including Kal Daniels, as I didn't disagree with anything they were saying, but only trying to direct people to the original subject of the post. Thanks for the help there, Jax, btw.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-08-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?