Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

I like the deal for both teams.

The Rams are refusing to let go of that how far they got two years ago. The opportunity to improve the most important position on the field presented itself and they went for it. Make no doubt about it, they’ll be in the mix of the strongest team in the NFC for the next few years. The defense is great and now you add Stafford to an offense that already started improving with the emergence of Akers.

The Lions nailed this deal. Getting Goff and multiple 1sts was a great get. As a Jags fan I can attest to the Rams generosity as a trade partner. This allows Campbell a QB freebee. If Goff works out it’s a win, if he doesn’t it won’t be a job ending mistake. I’d probably expect this team to sink into the 4-6 win range (especially if they don’t try and retain talent like Golladay) and start a rebuild. Now they’ve added a bunch of picks to help that effort.

In the end the markers of success here will be can Stafford get the Rams back to the big game and can Goff prove that he’s actually a lot better than he’s shown recently and keep the Lions in the middle of the pack and hunting for a playoff spot.

2. Likes:

757690 (01-31-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The trade is a win for football fans. Stafford has been one of the league’s best QB’s for a decade and never has has a decent team to work with. If he had been on a good team, he’d be talked about with Brady, Wilson and Rodgers.

We now get to see how he will do with a not just a good team but a top NFL team. It should be fun to watch.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

Betterread (01-31-2021),RiverRat13 (01-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The trade is a win for football fans. Stafford has been one of the league’s best QB’s for a decade and never has has a decent team to work with. If he had been on a good team, he’d be talked about with Brady, Wilson and Rodgers.

We now get to see how he will do with a not just a good team but a top NFL team. It should be fun to watch.
    I like your description of this trade as a win for football fans. Stafford has always been a dangerous comeback QB but never worked with a top offensive coach/system. Now he gets that chance. He has to reduce the INTs to go to a higher level, though.
    Goff needed a change. He was very good two years ago, but has fallen off that level. He won’t have the same weapons as LA but also less pressure as the Lions are rebuilding.

New England should go after Mariota.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

SF wants Captain Kirk Cousins (well, Shanahan does). They have offered Garoppolo and #2 and #4 round picks for him.
    Kirk is no stud, but Garoppolo has had one good, not great year. Downgrade for the position, in my opinion.
    In a world where Matt Stafford is going to lead the Rams to promised land, and Joe Burrow is elite, then maybe we can get Watson for Cousins.

"Las Vegas Review Journal says Raiders expected to field calls on Carr and could possibly get two first rounders and then trade four first rounders for Watson. It's likely teams that you wouldn't necessarily expect will emerge as Watson contenders"

If someone gives 2 first rounders for Carr, then the world has gone officially mad....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

10. Likes:

Chip R (02-03-2021),Kingspoint (02-03-2021),ochoa30 (02-04-2021),Rojo Rijo (02-03-2021),savafan (02-03-2021)

Sean Payton claims on GMF that the Saints want to bring back Winston and that QB would ideally be handled by him and Hill. And that they were not in on the Stafford bidding. We'll see.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-04-2021 at 03:12 AM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    "Las Vegas Review Journal says Raiders expected to field calls on Carr and could possibly get two first rounders and then trade four first rounders for Watson. It's likely teams that you wouldn't necessarily expect will emerge as Watson contenders"

If someone gives 2 first rounders for Carr, then the world has gone officially mad....
    Carr on a rebuild team with a suspect o-line? Where have I seen that before?

Watson is great, but QB is the least of the Raiders problems. They need to invest in defense, and gutting all your future picks for a position near the bottom of team needs doesn't make much sense. I feel bad for Carr lol. Ever since Gruden got there, his name pops up every offseason.

Also no surprise here, but Wentz wants out of Philly.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-03-2021)

Schefter believes Jets could get a late 1 for Darnold...I could see a few teams being interested.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Over/Under on teams opening the 2021 season with a different QB than the 2020 season? I say 20 teams.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Over/Under on teams opening the 2021 season with a different QB than the 2020 season? I say 20 teams.
    Bengals could be one of those teams.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Something I just realized is the current imbalance of young QB potential in the AFC vs. the NFC. This is something that I believe could be a huge selling point for Houston speaking with NFC teams about Watson. Take a look at what teams in the AFC have for the next decade vs. the NFC.

QBs under 30 through next season

AFC - Allen 24, Tua 22, Darnold 23, Burrow 24, Lamar 24, Baker 25, Watson 25, Mahomes 25, Herbert 22, Lock 24, Lawrence 21.

NFC - Wentz 28, Jones 23, Dak 27, Trubisky 26, Goff 26, Bridgewater 28, Murray 23.

*I would also include Fields/Wilson but who knows where they end up.

I count about eight real threats in the AFC, including the next potential super QB in Mahomes. In the NFC I count one.

Watson could step into the NFC right now and battle it out with a few aging stars (Brady, Rodgers), Stafford, Russ and Kyler. If I’m a GM of an NFC team like Chicago or Carolina or San Francisco I see the potential to very quickly become king of the NFC with the addition of Watson. It’ll cost their weight in gold but it’s a rare rare opportunity you see a young pro bowl QB like Watson become available.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Something I just realized is the current imbalance of young QB potential in the AFC vs. the NFC. This is something that I believe could be a huge selling point for Houston speaking with NFC teams about Watson. Take a look at what teams in the AFC have for the next decade vs. the NFC.

QBs under 30 through next season

AFC - Allen 24, Tua 22, Darnold 23, Burrow 24, Lamar 24, Baker 25, Watson 25, Mahomes 25, Herbert 22, Lock 24, Lawrence 21.

NFC - Wentz 28, Jones 23, Dak 27, Trubisky 26, Goff 26, Bridgewater 28, Murray 23.

*I would also include Fields/Wilson but who knows where they end up.

I count about eight real threats in the AFC, including the next potential super QB in Mahomes. In the NFC I count one.

Watson could step into the NFC right now and battle it out with a few aging stars (Brady, Rodgers), Stafford, Russ and Kyler. If I’m a GM of an NFC team like Chicago or Carolina or San Francisco I see the potential to very quickly become king of the NFC with the addition of Watson. It’ll cost their weight in gold but it’s a rare rare opportunity you see a young pro bowl QB like Watson become available.
    I have seen a lot of recent mocks have Carolina either taking Trey Lance or trading the pick with a package for Watson, and then Houston taking Lance @ #8. I am not a fan of that trade because I have no use for Watson in the NFC South for the next decade, but I would think Carolina would have to get that done if possible. At the same time, I am really high on Lance.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Kyler Murray is talking baseball despite incomplete football resume

Super Bowl week is here and Kyler Murray is talking. He’s appearing on all the big national shows. He’s saying some interesting things.

For instance, he seems to miss baseball. More than I want to hear.

“I would love to (play both sports),” Murray told The Pat McAfee Show.

Imagine that.

“I think it’s still there,” he said of his baseball prowess. “I’ve been doing it my whole life. Didn’t have to turn it off to be elite at football.”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I kind of remember him signing away his right to play baseball, but I could be mis-remembering.

Turn Off Ads?