Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I kind of remember him signing away his right to play baseball, but I could be mis-remembering.
    I know he had to give back most of his signing bonus to the Athletics. But I don't think that precludes him from baseball eligibility.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's spring training time. He naturally misses it and would love to play. With NFL off-seasons being all virtual again, there's no reason why he shouldn't play baseball.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

According to this his Cardinals contract forbids baseball

https://arizonasports.com/story/2527...otball-resume/
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-04-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

According to this his Cardinals contract forbids baseball

https://arizonasports.com/story/2527...otball-resume/
    That takes care of that.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The QB movement should cause 1st Rd QB's to be more coveted as teams that are middle-of-the-road are looking for a Veteran QB, while those who have struggled are dumping QB's who don't show a long-term future for them.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-04-2021)

I would think that Andrew Luck could generate a 5-year, $150M contract with $100M guaranteed.

I don't care what reasons someone has for retirement. That's just too much to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The QB movement should cause 1st Rd QB's to be more coveted as teams that are middle-of-the-road are looking for a Veteran QB, while those who have struggled are dumping QB's who don't show a long-term future for them.
    When the signings are done, there are going to be some good QB's looking for teams. A smart team could be able to grab a bargain. NE comes to mind.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-05-2021)

When the signings are done, there are going to be some good QB's looking for teams. A smart team could be able to grab a bargain. NE comes to mind.
    NE doesn't "bargain hunt". You've been around Mike Brown too long. They target who they want, then go get him.

12. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-05-2021)

No reason this can't be the first "2021 NFL" thread, btw.

No Head Coach would have won any more games than New England did with Newton as Quarterback. That decision is still on Belichick, and he's been wrong a ton about players, but he doesn't chase bad money....ever.

Never count this guy out. He'll be competing for a playoff spot and his experience makes him extremely dangerous if he gets into the playoffs. This year he'll get a decent Quarterback. There are just too many options. He had no options last year. None. So, instead, he got to use the entire season to evaluate new options under game conditions. That will have to pay off. Now, he's going to get back a ton of Starters who opted out from the COVID season, all players who will come in healthy from a year and a half of rest. That's a long time, but they'll probably have a regular training camp, they already know the system as Starters, and they'll still have the entire season to get into better shape with perhaps expanded rosters.

I look at Belichick as a wounded bear who had his pride stung this year with Brady getting to, and possibly winning, a Super Bowl without him.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Patriots CB Devin McCourty said Patriots players who opted out of the 2020 season will return in 2021. New England had a league-high eight players opt out of the 2020 season, an option offered to players who did not want to play while the COVID-19 pandemic raged. "From my understanding they’ll all be back," McCourty told NBC Sports' Tom Curran on Friday. That would include standout linebacker Dont'a Hightower, tackle Marcus Cannon, safety Patrick Chung, tight end Matt LaCosse, running back Brandon Bolden, fullback Dan Vitale, receiver Marqise Lee, and guard Najee Toran. Unless the team upgrades at wideout in the coming months, Lee could instantly become the team's best receiver if he's active in 2021. There was some question as to whether Hightower would return next season; McCourty seems to think he will. Hightower's return would be a crucial addition for one of the league's most talent starved teams.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

- - - Updated - - -

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

ESPN's Tim McManus reports the Eagles have "already received aggressive offers" for Carson Wentz. The Eagles have been fielding trade calls for Wentz, with the Colts showing the most interest. It's not a surprise given Wentz's ties to Frank Reich, but Philly's asking price — they reportedly want "significant compensation" for Wentz — is going to make any deal difficult coming off a season where Wentz played like one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. The Eagles likely want a first-round pick to justify taking the $30 million dead cap hit to trade Wentz. Even with Doug Pederson fired, Wentz has made it clear he wants out of Philly.

SOURCE: ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No reason this can't be the first "2021 NFL" thread, btw.
    Yes there is. I wanted this to be specifically about QB movement.

Drew Brees has re-negotiated his contract. Rumored to be lowering his 2021 salary to the 1 million, so that of he retires, it lessens the impact on the Saints. He still hasn't actually retired yet.

Apparently if he retires after 1 June Saints can spread his dead cap out over 2 years
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-06-2021 at 05:22 PM.

According to Adam Schefter, Wentz might be traded as soon as this week. Most are speculating Bears and Colts. This has an opportunity to turn out spectacularly bad for the acquiring team depending on how much they give up.

Frankly, with all the options out there this year, and giving his collapse and his salary, I wouldn't give up much to get him.

Mac Jones just strikes me as an Bill Belechik kind of QB. Crazy smart, and crazy accurate, but not particularly mobile. Pats pick 15th. One NFL observer sated thought that he didn't think Jones would get past #8 after his Senior Bowl Week.

That's about the highest I've ever seen him mocked.

Mac Jones just strikes me as an Bill Belechik kind of QB. Crazy smart, and crazy accurate, but not particularly mobile. Pats pick 15th. One NFL observer sated thought that he didn't think Jones would get past #8 after his Senior Bowl Week.

That's about the highest I've ever seen him mocked.
    It’s the Bama glow. Not sold on him at all. Feel the same way about Devonta Smith. Jones is not a running threat and was surrounded by elite everything at Alabama. I think I counted 2-3 throws in the Championship game that had any real degree of difficulty. He might be good but who knows how he would look under pressure or playing from behind. I think he’s a day 2 guy.

Turn Off Ads?