Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Word is that Bears are the team trading for Wentz. Foles is involved. A first rounder, Foles and another offensive player.

Not the greatest source. Blue check but it's some radio personality from Philly.

She's doubling down on her info. The offensive player involved is Tarik Cohen.

Here's her info
    Natalie Egenolf
    @NatalieEgenolf
    Radio & TV Personality.
    @975TheFanatic
    &
    @NBCSPhilly
    The Mike Missanelli Show. Kiss mark The Lipstick League Podcast
    @LeagueLipstick
    Philadelphian. Optimist. Humorist.
    Philadelphianatalieegenolfofficial.comJoined January 2009
    2,154 Following
    49.7K Followers
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-07-2021 at 12:01 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Eagles are said to be looking for, in the words of one well-placed source, "a Matthew Stafford package," in return for Wentz.... Among the teams that have expressed some level of interest in Wentz are the Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts, sources told ESPN, although other teams also have called to gauge the market and see what a package for the Eagles' quarterback would look like.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...on-sources-say

If he is looking for a "Matthew Stafford package", then, IMO, this might put the Colts at a disadvantage. But once Wentz is traded, league sources say that will set an asking price, and Sam Darnold is next in line at some point.

But there is also this ....

Although the Eagles do not feel rushed to trade Wentz, and nothing can be made official until the new league year begins March 17, Wentz does have a $10 million roster bonus due on the third day of the league year that Philadelphia would have to pay if its former first-round pick is on the roster. It is why a trade is expected to be agreed to long before then.
    The Eagles are looking for significant compensation in return for the 2016 No. 2 overall pick to justify losing the talent and absorbing the more than $30 million dead cap hit they'll take by trading him.... in other words, it turns out they made a really bad decision to hand this kid from a small school in the Dakotas "franchise QB" money, so they need someone to help them out and make a bad decision too and bail them out! It will be interesting on what the particulars are when he is traded, and how much money the Eagles are going to poney up to make him someone else's problem.

But if you're another team right now looking for a QB? Are you willing to take on that much of a financial obligation and risk on a Wentz, who is set to make $25.4 million in total cash next season (3rd highest among QBs in 2021), thinking a change of scenery may help him to return to form. IMO, his entire career in the league has been one erratic performance.

But then there is this "analysis" that says the Colts is the most logical destination that makes sense... https://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...s-carson-wentz

Makes sense for who? LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 02-07-2021 at 03:30 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Carson Wentz is from North Dakota and went to ND state, a school with over 10,000 students, which is known for its successful engineering school. It is about the size of the university of Dayton, which is also a Div. 1-AA school like NDSU, and I believe is also known for its engineering program.
    I think the Ivy League schools are Div. 1-AA, so some of the oldest football programs of the country play Div. 1-AA.
    Last edited by Betterread; 02-07-2021 at 04:03 AM.

5. Likes:

GAC (02-08-2021)

Schefter with kind of a generic report saying multiple teams have reached out to Jets about trading for Darnold. No word on which teams or what kind of compensation.

Ian Rapaport and Tom Pellisero with a couple reports today. One is that Cowboys still intend to bring Dak Prescott back and franchise tag him if they can't agree to a deal before March 9th. Jerry Jones is going to way overpay for Prescott because he is handing him all the leverage.

And that the Texans are NOT returning calls about Watson and are determined to try and repair the relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Ian Rapaport and Tom Pellisero with a couple reports today. One is that Cowboys still intend to bring Dak Prescott back and franchise tag him if they can't agree to a deal before March 9th. Jerry Jones is going to way overpay for Prescott because he is handing him all the leverage.

And that the Texans are NOT returning calls about Watson and are determined to try and repair the relationship.
    If they are trying to repair the relationship they aren’t doing a very good job of it. The latest move was firing an equipment manager who Watson was close to.

I didn’t realize how horrible David Culley was. He was the WRs coach for the Chiefs the year no WR had a receiving touchdown. This past year he was the passing coordinator for the Ravens which left a lot to be desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Forgotten man Josh Rosen spent the season on the 49's practice squad. He apparently is going to resign with them. 49's have (for now) Garrafolo, Mullen, CJ Beathard, and Josh Johnson. I assume his agent has tested the waters. Is this really the best situation he can find?

Forgotten man Josh Rosen spent the season on the 49's practice squad. He apparently is going to resign with them. 49's have (for now) Garrafolo, Mullen, CJ Beathard, and Josh Johnson. I assume his agent has tested the waters. Is this really the best situation he can find?
    3 years (and 3 teams) in, I suspect he just isn’t any good.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    [URL]The Eagles are looking for significant compensation in return for the 2016 No. 2 overall pick to justify losing the talent and absorbing the more than $30 million dead cap hit they'll take by trading him.... in other words, it turns out they made a really bad decision to hand this kid from a small school in the Dakotas "franchise QB" money, so they need someone to help them out and make a bad decision too and bail them out! It will be interesting on what the particulars are when he is traded, and how much money the Eagles are going to poney up to make him someone else's problem.

But if you're another team right now looking for a QB? Are you willing to take on that much of a financial obligation and risk on a Wentz, who is set to make $25.4 million in total cash next season (3rd highest among QBs in 2021), thinking a change of scenery may help him to return to form. IMO, his entire career in the league has been one erratic performance.
    Wentz' three seasons prior to last year placed him firmly in the second tier of NFL QB's- below the primary "franchise" guys, but a whole lot better than "erratic". Then 2020 happened. The guy had no one to throw to, with Dallas Goedert leading the team in YPG and Deshaun Jackson playing in only 5 contests. Along with no one being open, Wentz was sacked an incredible 50 times in only 12 games. To put that in perspective, that's a rate nearly twice as high as in 2017, when he led the NFL in QBR. No other NFL QB was as beleaguered by his pass blockers as Carson Wentz.

I don't think there's a question on whether or not Wentz can play the QB position at a consistently high-level when healthy. The question is whether his injury history projects that he'll actually be healthy enough to count on going forward.

As a postscript- Betterread hit on this, but you should know that the NDSU Bison football team Wentz played on is the NCAA Division 1-FCS version of the 1960's-1970's John Wooden UCLA basketball squad. Wentz started for two National Championship teams and was there for five total. Division 1-FCS teams do consistently compete against and beat Division 1-FBS teams, occasionally even taking down FBS nationally ranked opponents.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...ctories-upsets
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-08-2021),GAC (02-08-2021),Revering4Blue (02-07-2021),RichRed (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I don't think there's a question on whether or not Wentz can play the QB position at a consistently high-level when healthy. The question is whether his injury history projects that he'll actually be healthy enough to count on going forward.
    At least for me there's some doubt. Looked like a broken man late in the year, missing totally wide open guys.

It’s amazing how that Eagles team that beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl just crashed and burned. Granted Nick Foles had a lot to do with that win but Pederson did what so many other coaches (namely Dan Quinn) didn’t against Belichick by not letting his foot off the gas.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Per Schefter, this was Panther's offer for Matt Stafford;

During trade talks to try to acquire Matthew Stafford, the Carolina Panthers made a serious offer to the Lions of their eighth overall pick, a fifth-round pick and quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, per league sources. Detroit opted to take the Rams offer. Carolina still looking

Interesting decision. Detroit opted not go for the bird in the hand. They are obligated for 2 years of Goff at roughly 25 million. But if he works out... they can extend for 2 more at that price. Bridgewater was only an 1 year 17 million commitment, and if they liked him, they could only keep him for one more year before needing another contract.

And they get 2 first rounders of unknown position, rather than one in spot #8. Rams have big cap issues heading into 2021, and will still have cap issues in 2022.

I can see why they took the Rams offer, but that #8 this year must have looked tempting.

Texans say they won’t trade Watson.

Gotta be flexing to up the price but I don’t think it will work. Based on everything it seems Watson is 100% checked out of Houston. Can’t imagine they’d be stupid enough to not trade him.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Texans say they won’t trade Watson.

Gotta be flexing to up the price but I don’t think it will work. Based on everything it seems Watson is 100% checked out of Houston. Can’t imagine they’d be stupid enough to not trade him.
    Mike Brown could give some pointers to the McNair family on that one.

Yes there is. I wanted this to be specifically about QB movement.
    Yes, but with your insight of making that a topic, it turns out to be the perfect topic that seems to define the 2021 season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?