Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    "Las Vegas Review Journal says Raiders expected to field calls on Carr and could possibly get two first rounders and then trade four first rounders for Watson. It's likely teams that you wouldn't necessarily expect will emerge as Watson contenders"

If someone gives 2 first rounders for Carr, then the world has gone officially mad....
    Give him a defense and Las Vegas wins closer to 12 games. I think its insane to blame Carr.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Likes:

GAC (02-10-2021),Revering4Blue (02-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Mariota is a bust and I don't see him as the type of QB Bill is going to go after. I watched the one game he played in this year and I was not impressed. It was easy to see the Chargers just hadn't prepared for him and his style which is much different than Carr's, why would they?

You really think after the Cam experience this year Bill is going to go with another QB who has questionable accuracy and decision making?
    Some of us watched most of the one game where he came in for Carr and Mariota looked as good as any QB in the NFL in that game. He was fantastic. That one game is enough to have G.M.'s add that to what he did in college and what he did before he broke his leg his 2nd season in TEN (ironically, right when Carr broke his leg, too, and I had them as my 1A and 1B QB's in FFB). Mariota had not been the same mentally since he broke his leg. That one game shows that he may have gotten over it and is ready to continue his growth in the NFL. He's not done. He needs a new start and opportunity to start with a full training camp. New England would be great. He doesn't turn the ball over and Belichick demands that. He can actually throw the ball, something Newton could not do at all.

Mariota has never had questionable decision-making. He never ever turned the ball over in the Redzone until half-way through his 2nd season. So, you're just making stuff up here out of the cobwebs in the back of your mind. He also is accurate as a thrower...always has been. And, it's because of that game "you were not impressed by" that most people who watch football were impressed by, and why it's being reported that Las Vegas is fielding inquiries about Mariota by many G.M.'s right now. Mariota not only looked good, but he looked great. His passes were pinpoint and no amount of game-planning by the Chargers would have stopped Mariota from accomplishing what he did that day. What's more is that he showed his professionalism by being ready when called upon. That impresses G.M.'s and Head Coaches. Mariota's always been professional and a great teammate. Anyone who has been part of his team or his Coach will tell anyone this.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-10-2021 at 01:28 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Mariotta is worth a shot considering the price you would pay to get him, he looked like the real deal in 2018. Vrabel and Hoodie still talk so I am sure he would get solid information on him before making a deal. Mariotta's biggest issues are health and decision making, but the talent is there.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Some of us watched most of the one game where he came in for Carr and Mariota looked as good as any QB in the NFL in that game. He was fantastic. That one game is enough to have G.M.'s add that to what he did in college and what he did before he broke his leg his 2nd season in TEN (ironically, right when Carr broke his leg, too, and I had them as my 1A and 1B QB's in FFB). Mariota had not been the same mentally since he broke his leg. That one game shows that he may have gotten over it and is ready to continue his growth in the NFL. He's not done. He needs a new start and opportunity to start with a full training camp. New England would be great. He doesn't turn the ball over and Belichick demands that. He can actually throw the ball, something Newton could not do at all.

Mariota has never had questionable decision-making. He never ever turned the ball over in the Redzone until half-way through his 2nd season. So, you're just making stuff up here out of the cobwebs in the back of your mind. He also is accurate as a thrower...always has been. And, it's because of that game "you were not impressed by" that most people who watch football were impressed by, and why it's being reported that Las Vegas is fielding inquiries about Mariota by many G.M.'s right now. Mariota not only looked good, but he looked great. His passes were pinpoint and no amount of game-planning by the Chargers would have stopped Mariota from accomplishing what he did that day. What's more is that he showed his professionalism by being ready when called upon. That impresses G.M.'s and Head Coaches. Mariota's always been professional and a great teammate. Anyone who has been part of his team or his Coach will tell anyone this.
    I've seen plenty of Marcus Mariota at both the collegiate level and in the pros. As a Jags fan and as a friend to more than a few diehard Titans fans you'll have to excuse me if im not falling over myself about one good performance where Carr was hurt and the other team was not prepared for a completely different type of QB. You on the other hand seem fit to sell the guy as gold based off of that one game. He's never had questionable decision making? He's a career 1.7-1 TD to INT ratio who got benched for his inconsistencies which included not only inaccurate passing (bad decisions) but also his susceptibility to getting sacked. For being a running threat he's never had great pocket awareness. Oh and he's also lost 23 fumbles in his short career as a starter. He never turned the ball over in the RZ until half way through his second season, that's the stat you're choosing? He was professional and a great teammate? Yikes. I didn't say the guy was a bad person, there is no need for you to defend his honor. I stand by my opinion on the guy. I don't think he's good enough to get it done. Could he possibly win 8, 9, maybe 10 games with the right team who has the right coach and players in place? Sure. He's just not a QB who can carry his team to anything meaningful.

Add Russell Wilson to the potential QB carousel? Probably not, but it's fun to talk about.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...seahawks-moves

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-the-seahawks/
    Last edited by RichRed; 02-10-2021 at 11:29 AM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

From the ESPN story:

The Seahawks were ninth best in ESPN's pass block win rate (61.9%) this past season, and they rank eighth since 2017 (59.2%), which is indicative of how some of Wilson's sacks are a function of his propensity to extend plays.
    According to PFF, Wilson had the second most sack attributed to a QB. Part of that may be why he wants more short passes mixed in. His offensive line is being blamed but it looks like it is more of a playcalling problem.

I've seen plenty of Marcus Mariota at both the collegiate level and in the pros. As a Jags fan and as a friend to more than a few diehard Titans fans you'll have to excuse me if im not falling over myself about one good performance where Carr was hurt and the other team was not prepared for a completely different type of QB. You on the other hand seem fit to sell the guy as gold based off of that one game. He's never had questionable decision making? He's a career 1.7-1 TD to INT ratio who got benched for his inconsistencies which included not only inaccurate passing (bad decisions) but also his susceptibility to getting sacked. For being a running threat he's never had great pocket awareness. Oh and he's also lost 23 fumbles in his short career as a starter. He never turned the ball over in the RZ until half way through his second season, that's the stat you're choosing? He was professional and a great teammate? Yikes. I didn't say the guy was a bad person, there is no need for you to defend his honor. I stand by my opinion on the guy. I don't think he's good enough to get it done. Could he possibly win 8, 9, maybe 10 games with the right team who has the right coach and players in place? Sure. He's just not a QB who can carry his team to anything meaningful.
    You're talking about him like he's a robot with all conditions being similar 100% of the time every day of his life. Life doesn't work like that. There's Mariota pre-broken leg and Mariota post-broken leg. Two completely different people. What you describe about him is all post-broken leg. None of that occurred before the broken leg. He lost it mentally after that for a lot of reasons, not all of which had to do with him, but in the end, a change had to be made, as it always does when a QB goes downhill mentally. The scenery has to change.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    From the ESPN story:

According to PFF, Wilson had the second most sack attributed to a QB. Part of that may be why he wants more short passes mixed in. His offensive line is being blamed but it looks like it is more of a playcalling problem.
    They quickly fired the Offensive Coordinator. Jacksonville picked him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You're talking about him like he's a robot with all conditions being similar 100% of the time every day of his life. Life doesn't work like that. There's Mariota pre-broken leg and Mariota post-broken leg. Two completely different people. What you describe about him is all post-broken leg. None of that occurred before the broken leg. He lost it mentally after that for a lot of reasons, not all of which had to do with him, but in the end, a change had to be made, as it always does when a QB goes downhill mentally. The scenery has to change.
    Doesn't change anything. He's not as good as you're making him out to be.

Doesn't change anything. He's not as good as you're making him out to be.
    He's more than likely who he was when he left Tennessee, well, not that bad as he's had time to change and anyone that bad wouldn't have had the great game he had in OAK or looked as good as he looked (as good as any QB in the NFL in 2020 in that one game).

But, because he's got a good history behind him and proven track record of performing extremely well when he got into the league, he's worth a chance for any Franchise in need of a QB, just like Bridgewater was worth an extended look after his devastating injury untracked his career.

- - - Updated - - -

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

NFL analyst Ron Jaworski reports the Colts have offered "two second-round draft picks" for Carson Wentz. It's the best offer the Eagles have for Wentz. The Eagles are holding out for a Matthew Stafford type deal, but that's not going to happen. Teams have been unwilling to even offer a late first-round pick for Wentz. The Wentz market has cooled in recent weeks, with Chicago reportedly losing interest. Philly is going to have to come off its asking price to trade Wentz this offseason.

SOURCE: WPVI Philadelphia

Kings point, I know why you like Mariota. He has winning qualities. I think his story has heroic chapters in the future. But how soon he shows his quality depends on the right situation.

Thanks to the Raiders skillful negotiating tactics, trading Mariota is going to be difficult. Teams are just going to wait for the Raiders to release him. No way will any team offer more than a 6th Rd pick for Mariota, and probably not even anything that's not conditional on Mariota making the other team's opening day roster because of the contract.

From NBC Sports with NBC Sports comments:

Marcus Mariota's 2021 deal includes an escalator clause worth $7.5 million. If Mariota plays 60 percent of the snaps in 12 games this season -- for the Raiders or another team -- he’ll make an extra $7.5 million. The QB's incentive-laden deal would pay him an additional $156,250, up to $1.875 million, for each win in 2021. He’d receive an extra $250,000 for each playoff win; $1 million for playing in the Super Bowl or $2 million if his team wins the Super Bowl. It's hardly cap-busting money, but it's noteworthy as the Raiders possibly shop Mariota to teams desperate for a viable starting quarterback. Washington is reportedly interested in acquiring Mariota this offseason.

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-16-2021 at 03:11 PM.

That contract would definitely lessen my interest in Mariota. If I'm a team I'd be interested in signing him as a bargain. That deal makes it unlikely to get him as a bargain.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    That contract would definitely lessen my interest in Mariota. If I'm a team I'd be interested in signing him as a bargain. That deal makes it unlikely to get him as a bargain.
    He's not someone you pay more than 4 or 5 Million for with incentives, and certainly no guarantees more than $3M or even less than that. Raiders have to release him and will release him. All teams will wait. Raiders will have to release him within the next three weeks, too.

I know there's a new sheriff (Rivera & co.) in town and all, but it's in WFT's historical DNA to bid against themselves and overpay. I hope that's not the case with Mariota this time.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?