Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Btw, DeFelippo got most of the credit, not Reich, for Wentz' good moments as an Eagle. It's going to take a guy like him to get into Wentz' head to fix the problems Wentz has.

Press Taylor, who replaced John DeFelippo (newly promoted to Passing Game Coordinator in Chicago after failed stints as O.C. in MIN and JAX) after their Super Bowl win (with all playoff games won by Foles, not Wentz), was unsuccessful as Wentz' QB Coach. Wentz just continued to get worse under Taylor and without Reich. Press Taylor is now in Indy.

I don't see a change of scenery helping Wentz here. The scenery hasn't really changed much for him. Perhaps Reich will help quite a bit, but the idea of having Press Taylor around to Coach Wentz seems like a bad idea to me.

For those who don't remember, Kenny Anderson was absolutely abysmal as the Bengals' QB Coach and the position never improved until they finally got rid of him.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-18-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Btw, DeFelippo got most of the credit, not Reich, for Wentz' good moments as an Eagle. It's going to take a guy like him to get into Wentz' head to fix the problems Wentz has.

Press Taylor, who replaced John DeFelippo (newly promoted to Passing Game Coordinator in Chicago after failed stints as O.C. in MIN and JAX) after their Super Bowl win (with all playoff games won by Foles, not Wentz), was unsuccessful as Wentz' QB Coach. Wentz just continued to get worse under Taylor and without Reich. Press Taylor is now in Indy.

I don't see a change of scenery helping Wentz here. The scenery hasn't really changed much for him. Perhaps Reich will help quite a bit, but the idea of having Press Taylor around to Coach Wentz seems like a bad idea to me.

For those who don't remember, Kenny Anderson was absolutely abysmal as the Bengals' QB Coach and the position never improved until they finally got rid of him.
    Did Wentz continue to get worse or have a bad 2020? I’d be lying if I said I followed the Eagles closely, but stat wise it seems like Wentz was pretty consistent until 2020.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Did Wentz continue to get worse or have a bad 2020? I’d be lying if I said I followed the Eagles closely, but stat wise it seems like Wentz was pretty consistent until 2020.
    I don't think he fell off the cliff in 2020, but I think most people couldn't believe it after his 2017 season, so they looked for other reasons why the results weren't there, and it's easy to make excuses for a high draft pick as it's done all the time, and I was guilty of it, that when the mental errors were happening in 2019 repeatedly I kept expecting things to improve. In 2018, he still had the benefit of the teachings of DeFelippo (and Reich, as the Offense changed for him in 2018) as a base, but because it was only for one season, that base wasn't strong, so Taylor had all of 2018, 2019 and 2020 to undo anything DeFelippo helped him with. Offensive Coordinators don't work directly with Quarterbacks,...there's teaching, but it's delegated to the QB Coaches who are still the ones who do the teaching. Every game last season he had capable Receivers, whether they were RB's, TE's, or WR's, but he had at least five of them every game he could count on, and it was generally game-planned pretty well. Wentz would simply make the wrong read play after play, and his reads were so bad, that if they were your 8th Grade kid, you'd pull the kid over to the side and try to explain to him basic principles about taking what the Defense gives you. Wentz ignored that basic fundamental series after series, game after game. He could have had five Michael Thomas' out there and an All-Pro Offensive Line and it wouldn't have made a difference. He still would have made the wrong reads and the results would have been series-ending plays time after time (it only takes one bad decision to end a series by not completing a 3rd Down or not completing a 2nd down gift that gains five yards that ends up creating a 3rd-and-long, that Wentz was not going to make the right read on). He should have been benched after four games as it was obvious after his games 2, 3 and 4 that he had basic mental flaws that no amount of playing time was going to fix, in addition to not wasting the opportunity at a playoff position by getting Hurts started sooner.

The problem isn't just Taylor or just Wentz, but more than likely the combination of the two. It obviously won't get corrected or else it would have been corrected going into 2020, so it will show itself immediately over the first six games (I assume they aren't giving him $24M and not play him for at least the first 10 games, unless he's a complete disaster.) Reich is the key here, but he can only delegate what he wants to Taylor. (Probably why Zimmer just brought in Guenther to run the Defense so that less is lost in translation to the position coaches of the Vikings' Defense) Teaching NFL quality football is the most difficult thing to do in any sport, and why system and coaches make all the difference, and why mid-season trades were rarely ever done because you can't plug-and-play NFL players from one system to another like you can MLB or the NBA.

But, like so many have said, the Colts have been run very well and they don't waste time on players who don't perform, but they are more than willing to take a chance on players with upside. They shelved a 1,000-yd runner in Marlon Mack, who was averaging a very healthy Yards-per-carry, and it worked out not just well, but it worked out great. They drafted the Defensive Rookie-of-the-Year in 2019. Rivers was the perfect QB to give it a one-year shot at the Super Bowl. It didn't work out, but it didn't work out for 31 other teams, either, including the Chiefs. Tampa Bay was ready to cut in the 14th week Leonard Fournette, as they sat him for Ron Jones, who had a great game that week. Fournette was frustrated at his snap count and the Coach had a talk with him. He was a monster in the Super Bowl. Now they might not even bring him back. The NFL is crazy.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-19-2021 at 01:13 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Darnold will be next if all reports are right...Jets seem to be leaning QB at #2
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Darnold will be next if all reports are right...Jets seem to be leaning QB at #2
    A lot of pressure on them to take Wilson and flip Darnold for a second. Just not sure what team out there feels confident enough in themselves and Darnold to hand over a 2. It almost feels like that domino couldn't fall until there is some resolution with Houston and Watson. Honestly if Houston traded Watson, Darnold might be a solid replacement and after the Texans pull a haul of picks, giving up a 2 wouldn't be bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

To be fair, Kenny didn't have much to work with here. He seemed to do fine in Pittsburgh with Rothlesberger.

LeBeau's defenses mostly stunk while he was here too. Same reason.

As you know.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Bridgewater unfollowed the Panthers on IG. Crazy how short of a lease QBs are kept on now lol.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Bridgewater unfollowed the Panthers on IG. Crazy how short of a lease QBs are kept on now lol.
    Yeah, they made it crystal clear they weren't bringing him back and that whoever they add to the squad (high draft pick, trade or FA) will be handed the Starting job)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Also shows you how poorly some GMs are handling their QB business. Why hand a Qb who had just signed two 1 year deals for less than 10 million, a 3 year 63 million dollar contract if you are not sure he's the guy?

Bridgewater still has 10 million of 2021 contract guaranteed.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Steelers announce they want BIG Ben back. They just need to figure out how to handle his cap situation. Ben has a 41 million dollar cap hit this year because they keep kicking the ball down the road and not making cuts.

Spotrac posted a restructure scenario where Ben retires (or is cut) after 2021. He would have a 26 million dollar cap hit in 2021 and 15 million dead cap in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Steelers announce they want BIG Ben back. They just need to figure out how to handle his cap situation. Ben has a 41 million dollar cap hit this year because they keep kicking the ball down the road and not making cuts.

Spotrac posted a restructure scenario where Ben retires (or is cut) after 2021. He would have a 26 million dollar cap hit in 2021 and 15 million dead cap in 2022.
    I’d say Haskins makes it less likely that they invest in a QB for life after Ben anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

I wonder if Ben would have retired if the Steelers didn't make the play-offs? Regardless, I think most of Ben's issues were the lack of a running game.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’d say Haskins makes it less likely that they invest in a QB for life after Ben anyways.
    I tend to agree. More issues than the QB in the Steel City.

I don't think Haskins has any effect on their plans for QB. He's now a scratch off lottery ticket. Much like Josh Rosen.

16. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-24-2021),RiverRat13 (02-24-2021),Rojo Rijo (02-24-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

What is driving the rift between Russell Wilson and Seahawks? ‘Power and control’

Before the Thursday night game against Arizona, Wilson met with his coaches. For some time, Wilson has sought — even pushed — for influence within the organization regarding scheme and personnel. In the meeting, he outlined his own ideas for how to fix the offense. His suggestions were dismissed, multiple sources told The Athletic — another reminder to Wilson that the Seahawks did not see him the same way he saw himself, as a player who had earned greater control over his situation, his future, his legacy.

He stormed out of the room.
    On a Zoom call with Seattle reporters that same day, Wilson was asked if he was frustrated with the Seahawks. “I’m frustrated with getting hit too much,” he said. Ex-Seahawk Brandon Marshall said Wilson was “beyond frustrated” with the team and added that Wilson “is trying to figure out how to move on in a classy way.” Patrick echoed the QB’s desire for urgency and, citing a source, said the “current situation is unsustainable.” By then, La Canfora had even listed possible trade destinations for Wilson: the Raiders, Dolphins, Saints and Jets among them.
    “The reason that we’re here is because he’s on pace to be the most sacked quarterback in the history of the NFL,” said Robert Turbin, Wilson’s former teammate and a groomsman at his wedding.

Others see the situation differently after Wilson had the worst stretch of his career in the season’s final eight games, ranking 28th in yards per attempt, one spot below the Cincinnati Bengals’ Brandon Allen.

“He’s finally catching heat,” one person told The Athletic. “That’s the main reason for all of this. … People are talking and holding him accountable because he’s one of the highest-paid quarterbacks, he says he wants to be the greatest, so now people are holding him to that standard.”

“It’s a PR game,” that person added. “He’s trying to protect himself.”

Another source agreed: “What he’s trying to do is save face.”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?