Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob Manfred ?

Re: Rob Manfred ?

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    MLB commish Rob Manfred said he doesn’t think seven-inning doubleheaders will be around after this season.

Manfred says the runner at 2nd base in extra innings rule is unlikely to be around long-term.

Manfred says the foreign substance crackdown has been a step forward for the sport. He notes offensive numbers have improved and strikeouts decreased.

2. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (07-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    What is your opinion of Rob Manfred, and the job he is doing as Commissioner of Baseball?
    I think he is terrible.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

bm1475 (07-13-2021),Ron Madden (07-13-2021),Roy Tucker (07-13-2021),Tom Servo (07-13-2021)

I thought he started off good but he’s to the point now that no matter what he does baseball fans aren’t going to approve of him.

I think more of him than most others but also believe he’s not been very good.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Glad to see the doubleheader and runner on 2nd stuff go, I was almost certain they would hang on for dumb length of game reasons.

8. Likes:

Big Klu (07-13-2021),Boss-Hog (07-13-2021),malcontent (07-13-2021),Tony Cloninger (07-13-2021)

Maybe I’m the exception, but I see a lot of benefits both the 7 inning DH and the man on second rule for extras innings. If they can call a game “official” after just 5 for rain what is the big deal of two 7s when needed. It might reduce travel or having to go back to a city again during an off day.

I see no point of extreme extra inning games during the regular season. Who stays up that late if its a night game? If anything I think it has added more drama and a willingness to watch knowing there will likely be an outcome before midnight.

My only change: I would start with a man on 1st in the 10th, and on 2nd from the 11th on.

Maybe neither rule would be needed if they all played at the pace of ace Wade Miley.

10. Likes:

BoxingRed (07-14-2021),jwdoc77 (07-13-2021)

I don't hate the idea of the rule changes but I thought they were a little too ambitious. I think making the 2nd game of a double-header only 7 innings is reasonable idea, just not two seven inning games. I think putting a runner on 2nd after a few scoreless extra innings is a solid idea too (maybe inning 13, the unlucky one!), just not the minute the game goes to extras.

Manfred made his bones waging war against the players union and is in the job to serve as the owners lapdog. Can't say I expected anything better out of him overall, he's about what I expected.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Ironman92 (07-14-2021),Revering4Blue (07-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Maybe I’m the exception, but I see a lot of benefits both the 7 inning DH and the man on second rule for extras innings. If they can call a game “official” after just 5 for rain what is the big deal of two 7s when needed. It might reduce travel or having to go back to a city again during an off day.

I see no point of extreme extra inning games during the regular season. Who stays up that late if its a night game? If anything I think it has added more drama and a willingness to watch knowing there will likely be an outcome before midnight.

My only change: I would start with a man on 1st in the 10th, and on 2nd from the 11th on.

Maybe neither rule would be needed if they all played at the pace of ace Wade Miley.
    Agree on all points. I actually think both have worked pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (07-13-2021)

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    Rob Manfred on the Oakland #Athletics situation: "The Oakland process is at the end.'' The next few months could determine the #A's fate.

Manfred says that Las Vegas is a viable MLB market if the #Athletics don't reach agreement with Oakland officials. "Thinking of this as a bluff is a mistake.''

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-14-2021),Tony Cloninger (07-13-2021)

A runner on 2nd should only begin in the 13th. If you can’t figure it out in 12. 13 should be enough.

I don’t mind the 7 inning DH if you are scheduled to play more than 1 DH that month. But then of course both teams might not be scheduled for an extra one.

I would recommend ok to call up 2 players for that DH. Dealers choice if pitcher or regular.

No, every game and every inning should have the same rules. It's nuts to do otherwise. We don't play 10 minute 4th quarters in the NFL.

19. Likes:

malcontent (07-13-2021)

The runner rule was always ridiculous but I like 7 inning DH's, just make them count as full games, there was another 7 inning no hitter the other day, it should count.
    Go Gators!

They do play 10 minute OT with different rules about sudden death and each team having a possession. That’s similar to extra innings

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No, every game and every inning should have the same rules. It's nuts to do otherwise. We don't play 10 minute 4th quarters in the NFL.

The uniforms players wore in the All Star game can be added to the long list of reasons why Manfred should be fired.

23. Likes:

bm1475 (07-14-2021),cumberlandreds (11-21-2021),RollyInRaleigh (07-15-2021),Ron Madden (10-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The uniforms players wore in the All Star game can be added to the long list of reasons why Manfred should be fired.
    They were really ugly and that's not just the old guy's opinion because my teenager didn't like them either.

25. Likes:

bm1475 (07-14-2021),RollyInRaleigh (07-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Indymoon View Post
    They were really ugly and that's not just the old guy's opinion because my teenager didn't like them either.
    As I believe someone else already posted I always thought it was cool seeing the All Star players wearing their regular team uniforms. Yesterday I was watching highlights of the 1971 All Star game. It just looked right seeing Bench, Aaron, Clemente, Reggie, et al., in their regular uniforms.
    I can understand why the NFC and the AFC wear special uniforms in the Pro Bowl. Football can sometimes be confusing enough to follow and would be even more confusing if you couldn't readily determine which team each player was playing for. That's not an issue in baseball: If a guy is standing in left field wearing a glove you can quickly figure out that fellow probably plays for the team in the field, not the team at bat.

27. Likes:

bm1475 (07-14-2021),cumberlandreds (11-21-2021),Revering4Blue (07-14-2021),RollyInRaleigh (07-15-2021),Ron Madden (07-14-2021),Roy Tucker (07-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?