Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL Season

Re: 2021 NFL Season

Even if they could've received just a draft pick for him it still would've been something.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Even if they could've received just a draft pick for him it still would've been something.
    Maybe they could have gotten a 6th or 7th rounder...he is basically a part time player now on a good franchise due to injuries. Buffalo would be a great fit.

Houston is a mess...and is going to get worse. This is what happens when you turn your franchise over to a guy who was a character coach just a few years ago with no football knowledge.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Maybe they could have gotten a 6th or 7th rounder...he is basically a part time player now on a good franchise due to injuries. Buffalo would be a great fit.

Houston is a mess...and is going to get worse. This is what happens when you turn your franchise over to a guy who was a character coach just a few years ago with no football knowledge.
    He's not the player he used to be but he's still "the No. 7 edge rusher among 124 qualifiers per PFF last season". So, they probably could've received something better than a 6th or 7th pick. And a rebuilding team like Houston needs all the extra draft picks they can get, whether it's a single 4th round pick or a couple picks in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-13-2021),Revering4Blue (02-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    He's not the player he used to be but he's still "the No. 7 edge rusher among 124 qualifiers per PFF last season". So, they probably could've received something better than a 6th or 7th pick. And a rebuilding team like Houston needs all the extra draft picks they can get, whether it's a single 4th round pick or a couple picks in the 2nd/3rd rounds.
    If only the Bengals had a single player who was in the top-5% of all qualifiers at any position. In other words, Watt was better at his position than any Cincinnati Bengal was at their position this season. That's elite still, and should have garnered at least a 2nd or 3rd Round pick in 2021, or a 1st or 2nd in 2022.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

redsfandan (02-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Houston Texans trying to reboot, Cincinnati-style.

Last two things for them to do to really emulate, are to trade Watson for peanuts and to fly some freshly cooked skyline chili in to celebrate, sans proper refrigeration.
    They're mirroring the Mike Brown hardball stance that ends up only hurting the franchise and the fans.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If only the Bengals had a single player who was in the top-5% of all qualifiers at any position. In other words, Watt was better at his position than any Cincinnati Bengal was at their position this season. That's elite still, and should have garnered at least a 2nd or 3rd Round pick in 2021, or a 1st or 2nd in 2022.
    There is no chance the Texans could have gotten that or else they would have. He has one year remaining on a bad contract. I'm guessing they maybe could have gotten a 7th round pick but decided to do a favor for the best player in franchise history and let him choose his next team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    There is no chance the Texans could have gotten that or else they would have. He has one year remaining on a bad contract. I'm guessing they maybe could have gotten a 7th round pick but decided to do a favor for the best player in franchise history and let him choose his next team.

Look at what you just said. "The Texans" would have if they could have. The Texans couldn't find their way out of a revolving door. Any competent G.M. could have gotten at least a 3rd for him, and more likely a 2nd (or 2nd or 1st in 2022).

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Steelers, Browns, Bills, Titans, and "approximately a dozen teams" have expressed interest in J.J. Watt.

Anyone ranked 7th out of 124 qualifiers in a PFF ranking is highly sought after and would easily be the Top Free Agent at his position. Only an idiot G.M. would let him go for nothing, and HOU proves every single day to be as dumb as it gets...the dumbest franchise in the NFL the last few years.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-13-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post

I think you're giving them too much credit. That's the kind of spin they want their fans to believe. But they could've taken his preferences into consideration and still received something for him. He probably wouldn't have been dealt to his first choice but it likely would've been more of a contender than the Texans. And since he only had one year left on his contract he could've agreed to renegotiate his contract to lower his salary for 2021 if he liked his next team. That alone would've helped his chances of landing with a team he liked.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-13-2021),Revering4Blue (02-13-2021)

2021 NFL Season

Look at what you just said. "The Texans" would have if they could have. The Texans couldn't find their way out of a revolving door. Any competent G.M. could have gotten at least a 3rd for him, and more likely a 2nd (or 2nd or 1st in 2022).

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Steelers, Browns, Bills, Titans, and "approximately a dozen teams" have expressed interest in J.J. Watt.

Anyone ranked 7th out of 124 qualifiers in a PFF ranking is highly sought after and would easily be the Top Free Agent at his position. Only an idiot G.M. would let him go for nothing, and HOU proves every single day to be as dumb as it gets...the dumbest franchise in the NFL the last few years.
    The Texans are obviously a disaster. But Caserio is considered a good football guy. Most of the disaster this offseason is organizational structure. I don't think Caserio's first move would have been to release a guy that teams were willing to pay up for.

Also, I haven't seen any analysts talking about it like it was a shocking or foolish move. I think this was pretty much what they had to do.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-13-2021)

The Football Team from Washington has hired a bunch of former GMs to join their front office: Martin Mayhew (GM), Marty Hurney (Exec VP of Player Personnel), and Chris Polian (Director of Pro Personnel). A lot of experience there but I can't say I find the hires terribly inspiring.
    Last edited by RichRed; 02-15-2021 at 11:30 AM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Ex-NFL WR Vincent Jackson found dead in Florida at age 38

The Bucs were not great, but they were fun on offense with Jackson on one side and Mike Williams (Syracuse) on the other.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Ex-NFL WR Vincent Jackson found dead in Florida at age 38

The Bucs were not great, but they were fun on offense with Jackson on one side and Mike Williams (Syracuse) on the other.
    He had been reported missing a couple days before they found him. Sad to see bad things happen to good people.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

J.J. Watt is "seriously considering" signing with the Browns.
    Sources tell Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot the Browns are a real contender to land Watt after the Texans inexplicably released the superstar edge rusher. At last check, half the NFL was looking into signing Watt, who reportedly wants to sign with a legit Super Bowl contender. The Browns, after making it to the Divisional Round and nearly upsetting the Chiefs in Kansas City, would seem to fit that description. Watt, entering his age-32 season, was Pro Football Focus' seventh highest-graded edge defender in 2020 who has the third most QB pressures since 2011. He would be a big get for Kevin Stefanski's upstart Browns, who have $21.7 million in cap space this offseason -- the tenth most in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Steelers -- with Watt's two brothers -- are more than $30 million over the cap.

SOURCE: Cleveland.com

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

J.J. Watt is "seriously considering" signing with the Browns.
    Sources tell Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot the Browns are a real contender to land Watt after the Texans inexplicably released the superstar edge rusher. At last check, half the NFL was looking into signing Watt, who reportedly wants to sign with a legit Super Bowl contender. The Browns, after making it to the Divisional Round and nearly upsetting the Chiefs in Kansas City, would seem to fit that description. Watt, entering his age-32 season, was Pro Football Focus' seventh highest-graded edge defender in 2020 who has the third most QB pressures since 2011. He would be a big get for Kevin Stefanski's upstart Browns, who have $21.7 million in cap space this offseason -- the tenth most in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Steelers -- with Watt's two brothers -- are more than $30 million over the cap.

SOURCE: Cleveland.com
    Browns are good and improving, but it has to be a lot about the money. Not that I blame him, but if he really wanted to win a SuperBowl in his limited window of being an elite player, I am not sure he would tie that to Baker Mayfield winning a ring in the next few years. I would think Kansas City, Green Bay, Tampa Bay or even Buffalo would be at the top of the list if I am looking for a ring in the next 2-3 years.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Browns are good and improving, but it has to be a lot about the money. Not that I blame him, but if he really wanted to win a SuperBowl in his limited window of being an elite player, I am not sure he would tie that to Baker Mayfield winning a ring in the next few years. I would think Kansas City, Green Bay, Tampa Bay or even Buffalo would be at the top of the list if I am looking for a ring in the next 2-3 years.
    It's hardly ever that simple, though. Three things matter:

How much interest he has in the team and if he really thinks the team is a Super Bowl contender
    How much interest the team has in him and if he fits a need for the team
    How much the team can afford him

So, the Bucs would probably be the #1 choice if they want him (defending champs and should be able to afford him). But, the Chiefs and Packers (and Steelers) just might not be options because they're not able to afford him because of their cap situations. The Browns, though, have to be considered a realistic (fallback?) option because they would check all three boxes if he believes they're not far away as he'd fit an obvious need and they'd be able to afford him.

Turn Off Ads?