Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL Season

Re: 2021 NFL Season

Salary Cap finally set

NFL salary cap this season will be $182.5 million.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tons of Veterans have been released today and many more will follow in order for teams to create cap space. Here are some key contracts, per NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports' comments of players who helped create cap space by restructuring their contracts:

Saints LG Andrus Peat and SS Malcolm Jenkins restructured their contracts. The Saints cleared $9.4 million in cap space between the two, but there's still more room to create before New Orleans gets back under the cap. Expect restructures or extensions to Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk, and other core players. When it's all set, the Saints will likely have their cornerstones in place, but the front office will be in the market for ancillary replacements on both sides of the ball. Emmanuel Sanders and Jared Cook have both been released already.

Bills DT Vernon Butler restructured his contract. Butler took a paycut to remain with the team, and other veterans will be doing the same this offseason with the NFL salary cap shrinking. Assuming NT Star Lotulelei opts back in, Butler will be a rotational member only. The 2016 first-rounder hasn't lived up to his pre-draft expectations through five NFL seasons. He went sackless in Buffalo last year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Christian McCaffrey restructured his contract. McCaffrey converted some of his base salary into a signing bonus, which opened up $5.6 million in salary cap for the Panthers this offseason. Lots of veterans will be doing this with the cap tightening. McCaffrey was seen doing private workouts recently and appears to be on track for a mostly healthy offseason. With Curtis Samuel and Mike Davis hitting free agency, there's a bankable path to 300-plus touches for McCaffrey in 2021. He's in the 1.01 conversation in all fantasy formats.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Cowboys restructured the contracts of Zack Martin, Tyron Smith and La'el Collins. The Cowboys cleared up $17 million in 2021 cap space between the three. Other teams have been and will continue restructuring contracts to get back under the unexpectedly low salary cap. When healthy, the Cowboys have a top-end offensive line, but all three of these players missed some time last year.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-10-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Tons of Veterans have been released today and many more will follow in order for teams to create cap space. Here are some key contracts, per NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports' comments of players who helped create cap space by restructuring their contracts:

Saints LG Andrus Peat and SS Malcolm Jenkins restructured their contracts. The Saints cleared $9.4 million in cap space between the two, but there's still more room to create before New Orleans gets back under the cap. Expect restructures or extensions to Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk, and other core players. When it's all set, the Saints will likely have their cornerstones in place, but the front office will be in the market for ancillary replacements on both sides of the ball. Emmanuel Sanders and Jared Cook have both been released already.

I honestly do not see a path for the Saints to be contenders next season. Their books are a mess, and they appear nearly out of tricks.....the tricks they had used to get that team on the field last season (restructuring, dead year extensions....and just pushing money to the future). While I am pretty good with the NBA salary cap/CBA, I still only have an elementary understanding of the NFL cap. Still, I did know that the one big advantage the Bucs had was their books were almost completely clean in future years, as the FO has refused to push money into future years while they were not considered contenders. It is why I think every time someone reported the Buc's were projected to have $XXX salary cap this year to bring back several important pieces, it was misleading unless you understood the NFL cap and how it can be massaged.....and especially how clean the Bucs books were in future years compared to most teams. The Bucs will no longer be able to keep their books clean going forward as they will now be utilizing the tools that allow you mortgage the future a little for current success.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I honestly do not see a path for the Saints to be contenders next season. Their books are a mess, and they appear nearly out of tricks.....the tricks they had used to get that team on the field last season (restructuring, dead year extensions....and just pushing money to the future). While I am pretty good with the NBA salary cap/CBA, I still only have an elementary understanding of the NFL cap. Still, I did know that the one big advantage the Bucs had was their books were almost completely clean in future years, as the FO has refused to push money into future years while they were not considered contenders. It is why I think every time someone reported the Buc's were projected to have $XXX salary cap this year to bring back several important pieces, it was misleading unless you understood the NFL cap and how it can be massaged.....and especially how clean the Bucs books were in future years compared to most teams. The Bucs will no longer be able to keep their books clean going forward as they will now be utilizing the tools that allow you mortgage the future a little for current success.
    I imagine Brady took that into consideration when he signed with them.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I honestly do not get why the Patriots are bring Cam back. I have long been a mild Cam fan, but it clearly did not work last season and they do not have the roster to compete. Why not move on with a young guy sooner than later?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

When they said 14 million it made no sense. But in reality it's a deal that will be a low as 3 million and as high as 5. That's backup QB money. And now they are free to explore the QB market in FA and draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I imagine Brady took that into consideration when he signed with them.
    KP (and anyone else who wants to chime in) what's the real scoop on Russell Wilson? Is he really going to be dealt or is this just a bunch of offseason whining? I thought no way he'd be dealt but the rumors are getting hotter now

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    When they said 14 million it made no sense. But in reality it's a deal that will be a low as 3 million and as high as 5. That's backup QB money. And now they are free to explore the QB market in FA and draft.
    but I would think Cam on the roster as a backup could be even worse than Cam on the roster as the starter.....
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Drew Brees makes it official and announces his retirement.

NFL Legal Tampering Period starts at Noon eastern !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    NFL Legal Tampering Period starts at Noon eastern !!!
    Fingers crossed for a Jags agree with Golladay news break.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Shaq Barrett resigns with Tampa deal could be worth up to 72 million
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Dianna Russini
    @diannaESPN

Trent Williams and the San Francisco 49ers deal is for 6 years, $138 million. He is the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history. Of the $55,100,000 guaranteed $30,100,000 million is a signing bonus.

4:40 AM · Mar 17, 2021
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?