Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Dee Strange-Gordon to minor league deal

Re: Reds sign Dee Strange-Gordon to minor league deal

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Before people continue making fun of his name: The 10-year veteran elected to go by Strange-Gordon to honor his mother, DeVona Strange, who was killed when he was six years old. Strange-Gordon has been his surname for his whole life, though he'd previously chosen to go by the simplified "Gordon" after an announcer mispronounced his full name in rookie ball.
    I think my takeaway from this whole thread is: How do you get a job as a baseball announcer if you can't correctly pronounce "Dee Strange-Gordon"???
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Likes:

marcshoe (02-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-07-2021),Ron Madden (02-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Most teams sign solutions over the offseson. The Reds add clutter.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dear Chicken Little,

It’s a ML deal
    Amen.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

So was Jason Marquis.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dear Chicken Little,

It’s a ML deal

8. Likes:

REDREAD (02-07-2021),wally post (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    What a long Strange off-season it has been.

You could have given this board 800 guesses about who they would sign for SS and I am pretty certain collectively we would not have come up with this scenario.
    Lately, it occurs to me,
    What a long, Strange trip it's been.

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

membengal (02-07-2021),Revering4Blue (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    i think my takeaway from this whole thread is: How do you get a job as a baseball announcer if you can't correctly pronounce "dee strange-gordon"???
    what wizardry is this? Strange what now?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Szymborski
    @DSzymborski

The Reds are just perplexing. 33-year-old formerly fast middle infielder who actually is only good at playing left field now is something that some teams need, but certainly not the Reds.

The Reds aren't trying to contend or rebuild. The whole offseason has been emoji shrug.
    Lost a lot respect for Szymborski with this tweet. It’s banana phone level.

It ignores crucial and obvious facts: it’s a minor league contract; Strange-Gordon has little chance of making the team; the Reds aren’t done with the off-season; there are still plenty of options for the Reds to improve the team.

It also has a immature personal attack tone to it, something you would read in the comment section of MLB.com. It’s an embarrassment for someone who wants to be considered a baseball journalist.

If this is the analysis he has to offer I would put him on permanent ignore.

Edit: And this was his next tweet, seriously, why is anyone listening to this guy?

I'm not sure why trying Nick Senzel, who you already employ, at shortstop is such a bad idea when your apparent backup plan at shortstop is to see what balls the manatees pick.
    Last edited by 757690; 02-07-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (02-08-2021)

I get that it’s a minor league deal and probably lending depth to the roster. Ok fine.

But I’m really not getting very excited about the 2021 Reds. I hope better things start to happen.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-07-2021),ochoa30 (02-07-2021),REDREAD (02-07-2021),Redsfan6272 (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I think my takeaway from this whole thread is: How do you get a job as a baseball announcer if you can't correctly pronounce "Dee Strange-Gordon"???
    The irony is he mispronounced "Dee".
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    First Reds player whose father was a character in both a Stephen King novel and pop-up book.
    Correction: second Reds player.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

It may only be a minor league deal, but the real takeaway is that on Feb. 7, the Reds, a supposed major league team, do not have an actual starting shortstop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The irony is he mispronounced "Dee".
    Haven't we kicked Thom enough on this website?

19. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-09-2021),Kinsm (02-07-2021),marcshoe (02-07-2021),ochoa30 (02-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-07-2021),Revering4Blue (02-07-2021)

Not sure I understand this one at all unless it's a true minor league depth move. With Villar, at least there's some potential upside. I see zero upside with Dee Strange-Gordon.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

21. Likes:

JFLegal (02-08-2021),Revering4Blue (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Not sure I understand this one at all unless it's a true minor league depth move. With Villar, at least there's some potential upside. I see zero upside with Dee Strange-Gordon.
    I think this quote might explain the Reds decision:

Strange-Gordon has worked out with Barry Larkin over the years.
    Some non-guaranteed deals like this are personal favors. That’s what I am guessing this is.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'll say this about Dee after looking at his numbers a bit: he may be better than what he's done with Seattle the last 3 seasons. He was terrible at Safeco or whatever they call it now, but he's hardly the only hitter with that unique split. The problem is he wasn't all that good on the road or anything (the highpoint being a .294/.325/.412 line on the road in 2019), but still much better then he was at home.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I’m none too thrilled with this off-season, but as long as there are no more salary dumps Reds will be pretty decent.

I wouldn’t sweat the shortstop, they’ll figure something out. If Gordon doesn’t have it anymore, he won’t be the guy. They have all of ST to decide and possibly make a trade or signing.

The main issue remains the hitting, which was oddly bad last year, and needs to pick up in 2021.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Turn Off Ads?