Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Spring Training News...

Re: 2021 Spring Training News...

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    That's our organization's Achilles heel. If you assume that India and Stephenson are on the big club to stay, other than Garcia, we don't have an impact bat that has played above rookie ball. And why if all things are equal I'd like to see a college bat in this years draft.
    I'm totally unconcerned with that. Because India and Stephenson ARE here to stay. At least Stephenson is. Looks like the Reds are addressing 1B with 3-5 different guys both on the 26 and 40 man rosters as a bridge from Votto to whomever. There is a SS prospect, but the Reds could use a few more of those.

Almost everyone is controlled by the Reds for 3-4+ years. The Reds don't need a draft pick ready to contribute in 2022 or even 2023. They need the best player available, and if that is a pitcher, then it is a pitcher. I am hoping for the Reds to have a bottom 5 pick in 2022, and this upcoming draft likely won't impact that pick.

Reds are not drafting real high this year right? Best player available may have to be the way to go as opposed to drafting for need.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The bridge from Votto is a bridge to nowhere because we have no hitter in our system ready to take over. And we may need it THIS year let alone future years. And we're playing utility infielders like Blandino and Famer when he's not there.

Add in a potential Castellanos opt out and now we have a real crisis.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

HokieRed (04-06-2021)

The bridge from Votto is a bridge to nowhere because we have no hitter in our system ready to take over. And we may need it THIS year let alone future years. And we're playing utility infielders like Blandino and Famer when he's not there.

Add in a potential Castellanos opt out and now we have a real crisis.
    If Votto tears his Achilles tomorrow and is out for all of 2021 you simply move Moose to 1B, Suarez to 3B, go out and acquire a SS.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If Votto tears his Achilles tomorrow and is out for all of 2021 you simply move Moose to 1B, Suarez to 3B, go out and acquire a SS.
    What's so simple about acquiring a SS? If we learned anything in the past few months, acquiring a SS is NOT simple

I assume if Votto gets benched or the year because of injury or performance we are looking at Blandino/Farmer/Schrock no matter as the replacement(s) bats no matter where they play. Because we have no impact bat in the minors !!

I assume if Votto gets benched or the year because of injury or performance we are looking at Blandino/Farmer/Schrock no matter as the replacement(s) bats no matter where they play. Because we have no impact bat in the minors !!
    Ok, so we are back to being upset about a hypothetical situation where we need a a quality backup 1B? Really?

Decent 1Bs is the easiest position in baseball to fill.

10. Likes:

HammerTime (04-05-2021),ochoa30 (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ok, so we are back to being upset about a hypothetical situation where we need a a quality backup 1B? Really?

Decent 1Bs is the easiest position in baseball to fill.
    No I'm "upset" about the lack of impact bats at any level of our minor league above rookie ball. And suggest we address that early in the draft.

Castellanos to 1B and Shogo in the OF with maybe Aquino and Naquin as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-05-2021)

I guess we don't need an impact bat in the top minors because we have

Cast - who has a great chance of not being here because he'll opt out
    Shogo - 0 homers in majors .645 OPS
    Aquino - hit .170 last year, .167 so far this year
    Naquin - who had to sign a minor deal in the off-season.

Who said we didn't need it? We don't have one so getting Shogo in the line-up is better than most teams could do if one of the main starting players is lost. India is basically the impact bat from the minors. Stephenson as well. Looking at the lists, most teams have their top position prospects at AA or lower. Nobody has an impact bat ready to come up right now. The ones who can are already here.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

No I'm "upset" about the lack of impact bats at any level of our minor league above rookie ball. And suggest we address that early in the draft.
    “We” just called up our 2 impact at bats from the high minors. Also, you’re forgetting about Garcia. The reds will have about 3 guys at A ball this year all with potential high impact bats.

Hinds
    Callihan
    Hendrick

Those guys all could be very good. Hinds and Callihan have ETAs of 2023 according to mlb and Hendrick could be a fast riser. That kind of bat. Callihan and Hinds both could be Votto’s heir apparent. Hinds absolutely crushes the ball and Callihan is actually a bit of a mini-Votto. High contact bat.

There are a few other dudes that will be A/AA this year that project to be solid as well like Siani and Johnson.

I’m not sitting here saying the farm is great, but there are some guys down there.

I am always on board with drafting college bats, but even if you do this year he is still going to be at A ball to start his career.

I love how we are worried about Cast opting out now. This off season I saw numerous posts about his awful contract. Not you just speaking in general terms.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (04-06-2021),Old school 1983 (04-06-2021)

Why it's very unwise, IMHO. to trade Aquino.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Why it's very unwise, IMHO. to trade Aquino.
    I've never advocated trading Aquino. If he is going to succeed, I want to give him every chance to make it happen here. I'd have loved to see him get that option so that we could send him to AAA if needed.

I've never advocated trading Aquino. If he is going to succeed, I want to give him every chance to make it happen here. I'd have loved to see him get that option so that we could send him to AAA if needed.
    Wasn't suggesting you'd advocated trading Aquino. I agree with your assessment of the power situation in the organization though I'm strictly in favor of BPA in drafting. But a lot of RZers have seemed to assume Aquino is/should be the one to go when the roster crunch comes. I was also hoping for a different option ruling, though AAA is not what he needs at this point. He needs MLB at-bats. To me the nearest thing to redundancy in our outfield when Shogo returns is Shogo/Naquin. If I were looking to move an outfielder it would probably be one of those two unless you can get a really good return for Aquino. I think when Shogo returns I'd go part of the time with Senzel in the infield and do without one of Farmer or Blandino.

Turn Off Ads?