Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/2021 Ohio State Mens Basketball

2020/2021 Ohio State Mens Basketball

Ranked #4 in the nation!!
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020/2021 Ohio State Mens Basketball

Kyle Young has really hit his stride this year. A rare Tommy TryHard that is also good offensively and super athletic. Very smart player. EJ Liddell has turned into a a very good player. Ahrens is a knockdown distance shooter that also is long and plays good defense. CJ Walker is smooth with the ball and very smart when he dribble drives. Washington is the type of player that can drop 10 points in the blink of an eye and often does. Good bench as well.

This is the type of team absolutely nobody in the country wants to play.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

goreds2 (02-09-2021),Revering4Blue (02-09-2021)

They are a fun team to watch. Holtman wasn't going to turn down Wesson, but it looks like this is the type of team he favors. There is versatility all over the court, they "can" defend if they need to, they can score with the best of them. Ahrens is the best shooter they have had since Diebler, and I am surprised they don't play more two man with Ahrens and Key/Liddell.

Their greatest asset is probably depth, they have numerous guys who can take over a game and their bench goes 8-10 deep. That also may come back to bite them because I don't know if they have one elite, NBA type player on their team. But that said, they can win a game scored in the 80's or can win a slugfest like last night in Maryland.

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-09-2021)

They are definitely proving themselves to be a very good team. They were not projected to be this good, and honestly those are always my favorite WVU teams....the ones that significantly outperform the projections. Those seasons just feel more rewarding/exciting for some reason.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-09-2021),Revering4Blue (02-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They are a fun team to watch. Holtman wasn't going to turn down Wesson, but it looks like this is the type of team he favors. There is versatility all over the court, they "can" defend if they need to, they can score with the best of them. Ahrens is the best shooter they have had since Diebler, and I am surprised they don't play more two man with Ahrens and Key/Liddell.

Their greatest asset is probably depth, they have numerous guys who can take over a game and their bench goes 8-10 deep. That also may come back to bite them because I don't know if they have one elite, NBA type player on their team. But that said, they can win a game scored in the 80's or can win a slugfest like last night in Maryland.
    I agree about the NBA piece. However, I think there are 7-8 players on this team that will be very good players in top euro leagues. I could see Young playing for some Spanish team for 15 years or something haha. I could also see Ahrens going a poor man’s Duncan Robinson route and playing in the NBA for a few years.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I haven't seen a lot of the Bucks play so far this year. But I will get to this week end.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree about the NBA piece. However, I think there are 7-8 players on this team that will be very good players in top euro leagues. I could see Young playing for some Spanish team for 15 years or something haha. I could also see Ahrens going a poor man’s Duncan Robinson route and playing in the NBA for a few years.
    I think Liddell can be a NBA guy, but he isn't there yet. Ahrens is a very good college player, I don't see him having quite the release that Duncan Robinson has.

Guys like Sueing, Washington, Walker, Young all are probably euro type of players. Towns probably falls into that mix, but you don't know how healthy he will be in the future, nor do you know if he wants to go that route.

Its an unique team in that they have multiple guys who can carry the team on a given night, but don't have that go to guy when they need a bucket. There are some things that worry me about this team, but right now they are clicking and a pleasure to watch.

Also I would love to have Holtman mic'd up when Washington does something only Washington does.

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-09-2021)

CJ Walker getting hurt was a key factor in getting the season turned around. Not that Walker is that bad, but it forced Holtmann to play Ahrns more minutes.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-09-2021)

I think Liddell can be a NBA guy, but he isn't there yet. Ahrens is a very good college player, I don't see him having quite the release that Duncan Robinson has.

Guys like Sueing, Washington, Walker, Young all are probably euro type of players. Towns probably falls into that mix, but you don't know how healthy he will be in the future, nor do you know if he wants to go that route.

Its an unique team in that they have multiple guys who can carry the team on a given night, but don't have that go to guy when they need a bucket. There are some things that worry me about this team, but right now they are clicking and a pleasure to watch.

Also I would love to have Holtman mic'd up when Washington does something only Washington does.
    This team is kind of playing with house money in my book. They are not expected to be great. If they make it to the sweet 16 I would view it as a successful season. If they make it to the final four I wouldn’t exactly be shocked, but it would be a nice surprise.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Lacking the element of an elite, NBA type player may be overstated for this season. In fact, most of the projected (as of now) first round contains players from teams not projected to even qualify for the tournament and current G-League players. Michigan's Franz Wagner is the lone BIG player currently projected as a first round pick. http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

But you're absolutely correct about the Buckeye's depth. And it isn't simply comprised of players allowing Holtmann to steal minutes to rest starters; they all regularly contribute more than virtually any team I've viewed this season. Believe me, depth is a huge factor today, even in the NCAA tourney with its numerous TV timeouts. I see regular discussions about depth on other boards and it seems as though most old school fans believe that depth is overrated - they cite starters of yesteryear playing nearly the entire game as 'evidence' to support their claims, but their bunk. Their claim may have been true before the advent of the shot clock or when the shot clock was 45 seconds, as players could 'rest' on defense in those days, but not today with the floor spaced, requiring players to guard a greater area of the floor, even when playing a zone defense.

In short, health-permitting, the Buckeyes are in good shape moving forward, with a legitimate shot at winning it all.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-09-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I haven't seen a lot of the Bucks play so far this year. But I will get to this week end.
    It is in Columbus? I am guessing about a 5.5 point spread?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Lacking the element of an elite, NBA type player may be overstated for this season. In fact, most of the projected (as of now) first round contains players from teams not projected to even qualify for the tournament and current G-League players. Michigan's Franz Wagner is the lone BIG player currently projected as a first round pick. http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

But you're absolutely correct about the Buckeye's depth. And it isn't simply comprised of players allowing Holtmann to steal minutes to rest starters; they all regularly contribute more than virtually any team I've viewed this season. Believe me, depth is a huge factor today, even in the NCAA tourney with its numerous TV timeouts. I see regular discussions about depth on other boards and it seems as though most old school fans believe that depth is overrated - they cite starters of yesteryear playing nearly the entire game as 'evidence' to support their claims, but their bunk. Their claim may have been true before the advent of the shot clock or when the shot clock was 45 seconds, as players could 'rest' on defense in those days, but not today with the floor spaced, requiring players to guard a greater area of the floor, even when playing a zone defense.

In short, health-permitting, the Buckeyes are in good shape moving forward, with a legitimate shot at winning it all.
    I haven't really payed attention to CBB other than OSU this season. I may watch a few minutes here or there, but just don't have the time. Heck normally I watch a little more UC and XU but have probably see less than a half of their basketball combine.

OSU really has one position that they are short at, and that is point guard. CJ Walker is a very good PG, but there is limited depth behind him. Sueing and Washington are often times forced into playing PG when Walker needs a rest. Holtman has been working Meechie Johnson into the rotation, but the kid should be playing HS ball right now, combine that with him missing his entire last season, and dude is raw trying to play in the B1G. He may very well be a good PG as he matures, but isn't anywhere near that right now. If I were an opposing coach, I would press the heck out of OSU, especially when Walker isn't on the court.

I give Holtman credit because he often settles on a rotation that keeps the guys who are "hot" in the game and rests the guys who are having an off night. When/If they play Michigan, it should be a very good game to watch.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-10-2021)

I have to admit I haven't followed, on a consistent basis, OSU basketball in years. But then, I'm not the biggest basketball fan anyway. But I've watched them a few times this year, their maturity is showing, and they're doing what they have to do. They have a strong bench.

I do follow the tourney, and that's where the regular season means very little (other then placing). I was reading this the other day ....

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...the-final-four
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    It is in Columbus? I am guessing about a 5.5 point spread?
    Yes, and I don't know the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yes, and I don't know the spread.
    that was my guess....usually do not release spread until 24 hours out
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?