Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/2021 Ohio State Mens Basketball

Re: 2020/2021 Ohio State Mens Basketball

This is a team hitting on all cylinders right now. Indiana is having to work extremely hard for every bucket.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ha, should have kept my mouth shut

Zed Key is the most underrated player in the B1G. He’s going to be an absolute menace to the rest of this conference the next 3 seasons. A true freshman, plays like a 5th year senior.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Zed Key is the most underrated player in the B1G. He’s going to be an absolute menace to the rest of this conference the next 3 seasons. A true freshman, plays like a 5th year senior.
    He's 19 or 20 but plays like he's 45. Got a big butt and long arms.

This year's Ohio State squad has no stars, but just a roster deep with dudes who know how to play.

In unrelated news, it came out this week that Holtmann was offered the OSU job while he was in surgery (or just after) for hair plugs.

6. Likes:

goreds2 (02-15-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-13-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I am trying to figure out how you guys got beat by Purdue twice. Makes no sense.

I don’t follow OSU hoops closely, but I was a little surprised to see them projected as a #1 seed in the NCAAs.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

goreds2 (02-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I am trying to figure out how you guys got beat by Purdue twice. Makes no sense.
    I didn’t see the first one, but the second was a little flukey. Buckeyes had a 6 point lead late and Purdue hit 3 consecutive 3 pointers including the game winner. Was really a toss up game that they should have won with a couple better possessions down the stretch.

I love that guy. He’s playing with a lot of confidence now too. Early on they struggled when Liddell came off the floor a lot of the time, and since Key has stepped up its solved that problem.

I remember a time when a poster who should remain nameless, RedTeamGo!, was quite animated that OSU got waited too long in firing Thad and let Archie get away. In watching the game Sat, I can say without a doubt that Holtman is a much, much better coach than Archie. What surprised me was not OSU winning by 20, but OSU couldn't guard that IU big man in the post. Whenever they went to that play, they scored. I was watching the game thinking, well thank god they aren't going into the post again.

This is Holtman's most complete team and a team that I think fits the vision of how he wants to play. This isn't a plodding team like they were with Wesson in the post, rather a team that can get up and down the court, has wings who can score and is the deepest team I have seen in a long time.

I don't think they end up with the 1 seed, they have a tough schedule ahead of them, but still think they should get a 2 seed. This tournament will be interesting because a lot of talent, and a lot of bluebloods will be on the bubble. Could you imagine Duke playing in the play in game? Or UNC getting a 12 seed, drawing Kansas as a 5 seed in your region? This tournament may be the most up for grabs in a long time, especially if Gonzaga or Baylor get knocked off.

The remaining schedule is:

@ Penn State
    Michigan
    @ Michigan State
    Iowa
    Illinois
    Big Ten Tournament

So still have 3 top 15 teams left to play, but they do get to play them all at home FWIW. Probably need to go 4-1 and then not lose their first game in the Big Ten Tournament to get a 1 seed.

Pretty excited for that Michigan game.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I remember a time when a poster who should remain nameless, RedTeamGo!, was quite animated that OSU got waited too long in firing Thad and let Archie get away. In watching the game Sat, I can say without a doubt that Holtman is a much, much better coach than Archie. What surprised me was not OSU winning by 20, but OSU couldn't guard that IU big man in the post. Whenever they went to that play, they scored. I was watching the game thinking, well thank god they aren't going into the post again.

This is Holtman's most complete team and a team that I think fits the vision of how he wants to play. This isn't a plodding team like they were with Wesson in the post, rather a team that can get up and down the court, has wings who can score and is the deepest team I have seen in a long time.

I don't think they end up with the 1 seed, they have a tough schedule ahead of them, but still think they should get a 2 seed. This tournament will be interesting because a lot of talent, and a lot of bluebloods will be on the bubble. Could you imagine Duke playing in the play in game? Or UNC getting a 12 seed, drawing Kansas as a 5 seed in your region? This tournament may be the most up for grabs in a long time, especially if Gonzaga or Baylor get knocked off.
    Holtmann is clearly better than Archie and am glad he’s the coach. With that said, I think the team this year absolutely proves I was right about Matta. As I’ve always said: Matta is a great recruiter, terrible coach. Holtmann is a decent recruiter, but elite coach. I’ll take the elite coach every single day at college level. The style of play with the Buckeyes right now is EXACTLY what I wanted from all those Matta teams. They actually have a plan on offense, run plays, and spread the ball around.

I feel like you’re post is supposed to be some kind of gotcha at me, but I view it as showing I was right about Matta having to go.

Holtmann is clearly better than Archie and am glad he’s the coach. With that said, I think the team this year absolutely proves I was right about Matta. As I’ve always said: Matta is a great recruiter, terrible coach. Holtmann is a decent recruiter, but elite coach. I’ll take the elite coach every single day at college level. The style of play with the Buckeyes right now is EXACTLY what I wanted from all those Matta teams. They actually have a plan on offense, run plays, and spread the ball around.

I feel like you’re post is supposed to be some kind of gotcha at me, but I view it as showing I was right about Matta having to go.
    Na, I just remember the time when Matta was hanging around, Miller was the hot commodity, and people (you are really the only one I remember) were clamoring for Archie.

I don't want to relitigate the Matta era, but I think he needed a reset. His last two big recruiting classes were epic failures. The Williams, Scott, etc. class never developed and his final class was all gone within a season or two. I do think Holtman is a far better schemer than Matta was, Matta often times was going to out talent a lot of guys. That said, when he has things rolling they were a threat to win the B1G every season. Holtman's teams haven't been that so far.

I am interested to see how Holtman continues to build going forward. Will it be a mix of recruits and transfers? Will they continue to lose players to transfer? Last season I could have sworn that Muhammad and Carton would have been key pieces this season, but they both are gone. And FWIW I watched a little of the Marquette game and Carton didn't look like the same player he was last season. Will he build teams like Mike Bray does at ND with a mix of transfers and recruits? He wants to get old quickly to compete in the ACC.

Matta was an elite defensive coach until the botched surgery left him with the limp. I won't argue that he was an offensive guru and his post 2012 teams were at time painful to watch. But Matta was a fine coach, not just a recruiter. Holtmann will do well to come close to matching Thad's OSU resume.

Archie would have done well at Ohio State. I wouldn't trade him for Holtmann, but it is obvious at this point that Ohio State is a better job than Indiana.

Solid win against Penn St. Michigan is next up Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Solid win against Penn St. Michigan is next up Sunday afternoon.
    While PSU is better than their record indicates, that was a game they had to win if they want to stay on the 1 line. And about 5 minutes into the 2nd half I thought PSU may get them. Everything they threw up went in, and too often those types of games are hard to overcome. That said, OSU was ready to pounce when they started to miss.

Turn Off Ads?