Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs: “Cincinnati’s Winter Has Been a Disaster”

Fangraphs: “Cincinnati’s Winter Has Been a Disaster”

In other words: Yep, this is as good as it gets. This future is extremely speculative, not even written in pencil at this point. But the trajectory the Reds are following is a negative one, and there’s a real risk that without the front office being smart and aggressive, this team has already hit its high-water mark.
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/cincinna...en-a-disaster/

This is a very depressing read. Basically the reds are treading water somewhat right now, while slowly sinking. The worst part is there is no cavalry coming. The farm sucks.

What a bummer.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-09-2021),DocRed (02-09-2021),Griffey012 (02-09-2021),REDREAD (02-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fangraphs: “Cincinnati’s Winter Has Been a Disaster”

Symborski has been trashing the Reds forever. Before I clicked on it, I knew it was him. Check out his twitter feed, it’s even more petty. This is rather predictable.

Edit: Here is a recent tweet from him:

Dear people who don't like me,

For the sake of uniformity, can you guys come to some sort of agreement about what precise importance of moves I'm allowed to criticize and under what exact timeframe I have to express dislike?

Thanks,

Dan
    This is response to the pushback he received when he said the Reds should play Senzel at SS. Just a terrible, terrible idea.

Hard to take him seriously.
    Last edited by 757690; 02-09-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

DocRed (02-09-2021)

I don’t see much trashing in the article. What exactly, in the article, did he say about the current state of affairs that is not fair?

7. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-09-2021),joshua (02-09-2021),tripleaaaron (02-09-2021)

They call me "chef"

That guy is a hater. And that’s all I have to say about the current state of the Reds.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-09-2021),DocRed (02-09-2021)

I put no stock in 2023 projections. That’s an eternity in sports. And I don’t like the word “disaster” which is overly dramatic.

But be prepared for more articles like this. If anyone is disturbed by this kind of thing, probably a good idea not to open the link. Can’t see Reds getting passable grades in any of these off-season wrap ups.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-09-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Last edited by klw; 02-09-2021 at 03:32 PM.

12. Likes:

M2 (02-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t see much trashing in the article. What exactly, in the article, did he say about the current state of affairs that is not fair?
    He's probably been "trashing the Reds" forever because well, the Reds have been making largely trash decisions going back to the beginning of the so called rebuild. And he has remained consistent with those stances, such as how he mentioned their lack of ability to trade off a player before their value hits rock bottom. I'd have to dig back through tweets and articles, but I feel like he was mildy optimistic about the Reds in 2019 and 2020.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

14. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (02-09-2021),cincinnati chili (02-10-2021),drowg14 (02-09-2021),Falls City Beer (02-09-2021),joshua (02-09-2021),jup (02-09-2021),mth123 (02-09-2021),REDREAD (02-09-2021),Redsfaithful (02-09-2021),Redsfan08 (02-22-2021),Revering4Blue (02-09-2021),Rojo Rijo (02-10-2021),Roy Tucker (02-09-2021),Tom Servo (02-09-2021)

Well written by Dan. He said it better than I could have and he has some data to back it up. Thanks for sharing the link!

16. Likes:

tripleaaaron (02-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I put no stock in 2023 projections. That’s an eternity in sports. And I don’t like the word “disaster” which is overly dramatic.

But be prepared for more articles like this. If anyone is disturbed by this kind of thing, probably a good idea not to open the link. Can’t see Reds getting passable grades in any of these off-season wrap ups.
    The Reds have had a poor offseason so far, no doubt. But no serious journalist would write an article criticizing an offseason with a month left to go, especially when so many teams had to wait to make moves and had to cut payroll due to the Covid situation. And let’s be clear, Symborski is no journalist, never has been. He’s a stat guy who writes stuff on a website. His analysis has been poorer than the Reds offseason so far.

Let him trash all he wants. The Reds should just change paths and buy hard on pitching. Plenty left out there. Roll with what they have at short unless they can pull of a heist of a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds have had a poor offseason so far, no doubt. But no serious journalist would write an article criticizing an offseason with a month left to go, especially when so many teams had to wait to make moves and had to cut payroll due to the Covid situation. And let’s be clear, Symborski is no journalist, never has been. He’s a stat guy who writes stuff on a website. His analysis has been poorer than the Reds offseason so far.
    Pitchers and catchers report in 9 days.

20. Likes:

joshua (02-09-2021),REDREAD (02-09-2021),RedsBrick (02-09-2021),Rojo Rijo (02-10-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Not if I have anything to say about it.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

22. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-09-2021)

Pretty much all he does is show that the Reds would have been better off with the other SS options than with what they have now. Duh?

The fact that he includes Strange-Gordon as a SS option says it all. Any decent journalist would have done the research to know that he is not an option for the Reds starting SS job. Putting it in the article removes any respectability from the article. This is banana phone stuff.

As stated before, using 2023 projections is an mistake, never should be done in an article like this. Way too much can happen, no one would consider them legit. No legit journalist would use them.

The article also ignores that the Reds tried to sign the guys mentioned, made competitive offers, but the players signed elsewhere. He makes it seem like the Reds have been twiddling their thumb, doing nothing, and never tried to improve.

It’s just a poor article, more of a click bait hit piece than anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, plenty of talent still out there, plenty of moves to be made by nearly every team. No one thinks this off season is near over.

24. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (02-09-2021)

"Stat guys" can be journalists, but not *serious* journalists. Especially if they've ever written something mean. No, it doesn't count as *serious* journalism if they were paid by ESPN to write about baseball. And *serious* journalists would never try to come to a conclusion about the offseason on February 9th. If you peruse the *serious* baseball journalism out there, none of them will be doing this. I'm also going to criticize his ability to analyze *his own ZiPS projections* because, again, he can be a meany.

26. Likes:

joshua (02-09-2021),jup (02-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    One can critique his analysis, but he has a perfect right to comment at this point. The trucks have left for Arizona. Pitchers and catchers report next week. It’s the fifth month of off-season. Every other team seems to have done its off-season business, or much of it. Even with COVID around.

Reds are fair game for criticism for their off-season, if that’s one’s view.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-09-2021 at 04:19 PM.

28. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-09-2021),joshua (02-09-2021),REDREAD (02-09-2021),RedsBrick (02-09-2021),Revering4Blue (02-09-2021),Rojo Rijo (02-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?