Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who Is To Blame For Not Acquiring a Shortstop?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Krall

18 21.18%
  • Bob C

30 35.29%
  • Krall and Bob

30 35.29%
  • Still going to get a SS/no blame

7 8.24%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is To Blame For Not Getting a Shortstop?

Who Is To Blame For Not Getting a Shortstop?

I have noticed there seems to be 4 takes on who is to blame foe the failure of not acquiring a competent major league shortstop this offseason. Some seem to blame Bob C, some blame Krall, some blame both, and a very small number blame nobody and think they will still get the shortstop. I am curious who the majority blames for this inexcusable failure. Please explain your choice below if you’d like.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Is To Blame For Not Getting a Shortstop?

I personally blame Krall.

I understand Bob/ownership likely told Krall he had to get to a certain payroll figure. However, at the end of the day it is the GM’s job to figure out a way to field a competitive major league roster with what he or she has to work with. Krall could have found a way to get creative and he just didn’t do it. Instead he has been dumpster diving for relievers all winter and for some reason Dee Strange-Gordon.

4. Likes:

DocRed (02-09-2021),REDREAD (02-09-2021)

No Williams? aren't we still blaming him?
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-10-2021)

I voted Krall. If you can't talk your owner into a $10M starting shortstop you aren't good enough to do this job. Part of your skills need to be upward communication.

8. Likes:

DocRed (02-09-2021),joshua (02-10-2021),RedsFanInMS (02-10-2021)

They call me "chef"

Relax. Reds have all of Spring Training and 161 regular season games to find a SS for 2021.

Isn’t the answer always Bob Boone?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

klw (02-10-2021),marcshoe (02-09-2021),paintmered (02-11-2021),Red Raindog (02-10-2021),Ron Madden (02-09-2021),Roy Tucker (02-10-2021),savafan (02-11-2021)

As an aside: I always find it interesting when I click on the numbers to see who voted for what and see names I don’t recognize lol.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It’s like 95% Castellini, 5% Krall

I understand the GM has restraints to work with, but no one would be able to build a winner if they were told “hey we need you to suddenly cut 40 million dollars from the payroll, good luck.”

That just isn’t reasonable on the ownership’s behalf.

14. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (02-10-2021),Coopdaddy67 (02-10-2021),Griffey012 (02-10-2021),Mitri (02-10-2021),ochoa30 (02-09-2021),The Operator (02-09-2021)

I blame Krall because it seems the issue might have been thinking there were other options, while one by one they all just fade away.

But I'm holding out hope for the last option. Not a lot of hope, but it's still a possibility.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

50% to covid and the other half to short sighted deals from the FO.

End of the day, Bob needs to revamp development and drafting so as not to push the FO into poor decisions.

Gonna see what plays out before the season myself. But blame for roster building should fall on the guy building the roster. Nonetheless the Reds have had SS issues for the past 16 seasons outside an inconsistent Cozart era, its become an Achilles Heel for them

18. Likes:

757690 (02-10-2021),HokieRed (02-10-2021)

There is way too much information we don’t know make any judgements. We don’t know what the Reds payroll really is, what money Krall had to deal with, what offers were made, why players chose other offers, what trade offers have been discussed and so on.

If money is the issue, then the problem mostly lies with ownership. If Krall was given enough money to sign someone, then the problem mostly lies with Krall. But Krall could have been given enough money, offered enough to sign the players, and they just chose to sign elsewhere, in which case, it’s the long history of the Reds being losers being the problem.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

20. Likes:

MikeS21 (02-10-2021)

i blame RedTeamGo.

22. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (02-10-2021),Patrick Bateman (02-10-2021)

I blame Krall because he had all winter to engineer a trade for a SS or sign a reasonably priced vet.
    Instead, he pretended he had a competitive offer to the big 3 FA SS, when he was probably nowhere close.
    If he thought one of the "big guys" was going to sign for about 4-5 million, then he's insane. (that's about what they spent on Dolittle, Gordon + what they offered to Villar, so I assume that's about how much money he had to play with).

Or he could have traded off a high priced player to free up money.

Yes, Bob made it difficult, but Krall knew what he was getting into when he took this job.
    Williams saw the writing on the wall and bailed. I don't blame him.

It would be easier to forgive Krall if he had done more than sign Dollittle and Gordon this offseason.
    Krall clearly had no plan.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

24. Likes:

joshua (02-10-2021)

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

I'd guess that Bob is too indecisive to commit to funding a quality roster if it doesn't immediately perform. At the root, this is likely one of the biggest problems for the franchise.

That said, Krall put this roster together and owns it. If he didn't think he could put a major league roster together with the constraints given, he should haven't accepted the position. Without a SS, this isn't a major league roster.

26. Likes:

joshua (02-10-2021),REDREAD (02-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?