Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumpster Diving 2021

Dumpster Diving 2021

Sigh.

Obviously the Reds need a SS. Desperately. They could also use some relief arms and/or a starting pitcher. There's a bunch of pitching still available on the open market, but Krall, Castellini, and the Red braintrust have decided to use Judge Potter as a model and greed their way through the season.

So what's left for fans to look forward to?

The Annual, Ownership Is Full of Greedy Crapheads Who Don't Care About the Integrity of the Game, the Fans, or the Team Beyond the Money It Can Make Them Thread-- AOIFGCWDCAIGFTB$, for short. (I really have to work on my acronyms.)

So who's likely to be available? What teams might be short roster spots?

A few candidates:

Shortstop
    We already know Adames and Rosario are in various stages of ready and Story might be. Beyond that, things get murkier.

Boston has three guys signed on the MLB roster who can play SS. Christian Arroyo is out of options and might be available for cheap. (Red management's favorite word.) His OPS+ last season was 95, and Arroyo has a fairly long history of hitting well in the minors.

Tim Beckham had a good season a couple of years ago. He's an NRI invite in Chicago. At this point, he wishes he were Jonathan Villar with the glove, but hey, on the bright side, he's also probably not going to sign for $3.5M.

Matt Reynolds is another NRI for the TLR crew. He's probably not any better than what the Reds have, but beggars and choosers, amirite? Reynolds hit as a 28-year-old in the PCL in 2019. Maybe he had a late-career swing change?

Luis Rengifo might be available in the Angels' minor leagues. His minor league numbers are similar to Garcia's, but he has a couple of levels on him. Rengifo really struggled last year after being jerked around as an on-again, off-again trade piece.

Jorge Polanco might be available in Minnesota. Right now, Roster Resource believes he's a bench guy for the Twins. He's out of options. They may want to save some cash there. He's been good offensively and pretty poor defensively. (Bad ankles, IIRC.)

Tzu-Wei Lin played for Boston last year and put up really putrid numbers, but he was a league average bat in limited innings in 2018. Lin's got some interesting minor league numbers too. He's an NRI who's OoO, and, as unappetizing as he might be, his projections are an improvement over what Garcia might bring in 2021. Yay.

Jed Lowrie, in his last full season, enjoyed an 800 OPS. The one before that too. Of course, that was 2018, so the soon-to-be 37-year-old is well-rested. And grizzled. He was an All-Star in 2018 and is an NRI this year in Oakland. If I had to guess, this is the guy Cincinnati will acquire because why not?

Richard Urena was once a fairly interesting prospect for Toronto a couple of seasons ago. He's still toiling away and is only 24. Kid swings an anemic bat, but Marcel likes him enough to project a 718 OPS. Urena at least has upside.

Domingo Leyba had an outstanding 21-game stint in Arizona in 2019. 30 PA and an 807 OPS is more than acceptable. He's out of options and a non-roster invite in Arizona. He wasn't used in 2020 at all. Still just 25, Leyba's interesting enough to think he might have something-- if he gets cut.

Wilmer Difo was a starter for a couple of seasons in Washington. He didn't hit. That bat is probably available at the end of Spring Training. Yay...? As a SS, he's a fine 2B.

Hernan Perez is a veteran who doesn't hit much, has a bit of power, and doesn't walk much at all. He's Dee Strange-Gordon defensively, so that's not great.

And that's really about it, unfortunately. Any of these guys look better than others? Any you'd like to target?

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-12-2021),dfs (02-14-2021),DocRed (02-12-2021),MoneyInTheBank (02-12-2021),NebraskaRed (02-12-2021),paintmered (02-12-2021),REDREAD (02-12-2021),SErebel11 (02-13-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (02-12-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dumpster Diving 2021

I think Lowrie signed with the A’s a couple days ago.

As for the rest of this list: might as well just roll with Garcia.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Mitri (02-12-2021),Ron Madden (02-12-2021)

Maybe the Reds can bring back Leatherpants to find them a cheap five tool shortstop. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

I actually like that Christian Arroyo idea. He's hit pretty well in the minors at times, and been a solid, but not flashy defender. He's 25 and coming into his prime, might be due for a mini breakout. Most projection systems actually see him as about a 1 WAR guy over 200 atbats. Could be a candidate to follow the Zack Cozart career arch (arrives later, is a cheap second division starter and pops for a couple career seasons at back end of prime years).

Added bonus that he probably at least produces equivalent to Garcia, while not wasting control time on the better long term asset that requires further minor league time.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

8. Likes:

CySeymour (02-12-2021),Old school 1983 (02-12-2021),REDREAD (02-12-2021),Revering4Blue (02-12-2021)

Christian Arroyo isn't a great option but he's only 25, has high contact batting skills in his recent high minors stints, and measures decently with the glove. I'd rather have him floating around than Dee Gordon.

10. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-12-2021),goldglover9 (02-13-2021)

Another guy who is super not exciting and a fringy SS is Eric Sogard. Since 2017, he seems to be on an every other year plan with the bat, which means 2021 will be good

12. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-12-2021),Old school 1983 (02-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Another guy who is super not exciting and a fringy SS is Eric Sogard. Since 2017, he seems to be on an every other year plan with the bat, which means 2021 will be good
    With the glasses, maybe he can channel his inner Roy McMillan.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-12-2021),Number_Fourteen (02-12-2021)

Solid thx for the work

Could The Reds sign Brad Miller as a stop-gal at SS?
    Miller came to the majors as a shortstop and can play anywhere in the infield, including first base.

Miller, 31, spent part of the 2019 season with the Phillies and impressed with his left-handed bat. In 66 games, he hit .263 with a .941 OPS, 12 homers and 21 RBIs in 130 plate appearances. He spent the shortened 2020 season with St. Louis and hit .232 with an .807 OPS

I would love to have either Lourdes Gurriel Jr. from Toronto or Jake Cronenworth from San Diego.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Could The Reds sign Brad Miller as a stop-gal at SS?
    Miller came to the majors as a shortstop and can play anywhere in the infield, including first base.

Miller, 31, spent part of the 2019 season with the Phillies and impressed with his left-handed bat. In 66 games, he hit .263 with a .941 OPS, 12 homers and 21 RBIs in 130 plate appearances. He spent the shortened 2020 season with St. Louis and hit .232 with an .807 OPS
    I think Miller just signed with the Phillies, but even if he hadn’t he is so bad defensively at SS it would be similar to putting Votto at short.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Wonder what it would take to pry away Zack McKinstry from the Dodgers? He's 25, and in 1400 minor league PA's, he's hit .270 with OPS of .773. He's only had 7 major league AB's, so those are useless.

He's more of a 2B, but he can play pretty much everywhere. Granted, his real value will be a utility player, but he has played over 620 innings at SS in the minors.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nico Goodrum: Last year didn't do much from either side of the plate.

Willi Castro: Supposedly going to take over from Goodrum, but might be available.

Joey Wendle: Backup MI for the Rays, might be available for cheap. Has played SS in limited stints over the past few years, but OBP was above .350 for 3 of the past 4 seasons.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Joey Wendle: Backup MI for the Rays, might be available for cheap. Has played SS in limited stints over the past few years.
    Wendle is a phenomenal target, but I doubt he's available, sadly.

Nice post. I can't be sure this is more work than Krall has put in, but the results are better. At least I have something to look at.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

23. Likes:

REDREAD (02-14-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?