Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dumpster Diving 2021

Re: Dumpster Diving 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Christian Arroyo is out of options and might be available for cheap. (Red management's favorite word.) His OPS+ last season was 95, and Arroyo has a fairly long history of hitting well in the minors.

Tim Beckham had a good season a couple of years ago. He's an NRI invite in Chicago. At this point, he wishes he were Jonathan Villar with the glove, but hey, on the bright side, he's also probably not going to sign for $3.5M.

Matt Reynolds is another NRI for the TLR crew. He's probably not any better than what the Reds have, but beggars and choosers, amirite? Reynolds hit as a 28-year-old in the PCL in 2019. Maybe he had a late-career swing change?

Luis Rengifo might be available in the Angels' minor leagues. His minor league numbers are similar to Garcia's, but he has a couple of levels on him. Rengifo really struggled last year after being jerked around as an on-again, off-again trade piece.

Jorge Polanco might be available in Minnesota. Right now, Roster Resource believes he's a bench guy for the Twins. He's out of options. They may want to save some cash there. He's been good offensively and pretty poor defensively. (Bad ankles, IIRC.)

Tzu-Wei Lin played for Boston last year and put up really putrid numbers, but he was a league average bat in limited innings in 2018. Lin's got some interesting minor league numbers too. He's an NRI who's OoO, and, as unappetizing as he might be, his projections are an improvement over what Garcia might bring in 2021. Yay.

Jed Lowrie, in his last full season, enjoyed an 800 OPS. The one before that too. Of course, that was 2018, so the soon-to-be 37-year-old is well-rested. And grizzled. He was an All-Star in 2018 and is an NRI this year in Oakland. If I had to guess, this is the guy Cincinnati will acquire because why not?

Richard Urena was once a fairly interesting prospect for Toronto a couple of seasons ago. He's still toiling away and is only 24. Kid swings an anemic bat, but Marcel likes him enough to project a 718 OPS. Urena at least has upside.

Domingo Leyba had an outstanding 21-game stint in Arizona in 2019. 30 PA and an 807 OPS is more than acceptable. He's out of options and a non-roster invite in Arizona. He wasn't used in 2020 at all. Still just 25, Leyba's interesting enough to think he might have something-- if he gets cut.

Wilmer Difo was a starter for a couple of seasons in Washington. He didn't hit. That bat is probably available at the end of Spring Training. Yay...? As a SS, he's a fine 2B.

Hernan Perez is a veteran who doesn't hit much, has a bit of power, and doesn't walk much at all. He's Dee Strange-Gordon defensively, so that's not great.
    This is why I think Reds will get somebody. There are always names at the end. And sometimes a guy hits the waiver wire, or loses his job and is traded at the end.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-12-2021 at 04:41 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Half of those names can't really play SS. The one I'd be interested in is Rengifo.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Arroyo was placed on waivers by Cleveland last summer. I'd look at the SS they chose to keep over Arroyo: Yu Chang. His upside is likely a utility player at the major league level but is competent at short, will take a walk and has some pop. His OPS in the minors is around .740. He already has about 100 at bats at the major league level. Though he struggled, now 25, he is either ready to produce or just be a utility guy whom can play all around the infield. If Cleveland keeps Rosario, Chang will be destined for AAA where they will want to play Owen Miller and Clement. Reds should discuss both options with them. They should also ask about Miller as he has good upside. Could play short for a year and move over to 2B when Garcia is ready.
    Last edited by Bill; 02-13-2021 at 11:05 AM.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (02-14-2021)

I think Gordon has a shot of being just as good if not better than most of that list. We just wanted better so we have to pretend he’s not been a successful major league player.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I think Gordon has a shot of being just as good if not better than most of that list. We just wanted better so we have to pretend he’s not been a successful major league player.
    Always liked Gordon as a player. Willing to see him with a utility role. Farmer and Gordon as utility gives them a RHH and a LHH and both play several positions. Even with Gordon’s recent decline statistically.

But as a starting shortstop?

Even in his prime, Gordon was primarily a second baseman. His fielding stats were better at second. The notion that - at this stage - he is a real candidate for starting shortstop is far fetched.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-13-2021 at 11:39 AM.

8. Likes:

mth123 (02-13-2021),REDREAD (02-14-2021),Revering4Blue (02-13-2021)

I think Blandino has a chance of making the roster as a SS option. He played it quite a bit in the minors and he’s shown some on base skills.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I think Blandino has a chance of making the roster as a SS option. He played it quite a bit in the minors and he’s shown some on base skills.
    Was surprised last year that Alex didn’t make the club and for the most part was at Prasco/taxi squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Always liked Gordon as a player. Willing to see him with a utility role. Farmer and Gordon as utility gives them a RHH and a LHH and both play several positions. Even with Gordon’s recent decline statistically.

Even in his prime, Gordon was primarily a second baseman. His fielding stats were better at second. The notion that - at this stage - he is a real candidate for starting shortstop is far fetched.
    This is what is perplexing to me. The Reds have brought in quite a few guys who might be depth at 2B or 3B, but none of those guys, exceot maybe Holder should be an option at SS. Shrock, Gordon, Cheslor Cuthbert, not a SS among them.Alex Blandino is probably a better option than any of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I think he's a better option than the guys they brought in.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-13-2021 at 04:32 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-13-2021)

Yes. I like him as a utility player too. Problem with the list in this thread is that most of these guys aren’t really SS either. And none of them have showed a semblance of being as good as Gordon in their careers. I’d just as soon as say ok Dee, show us what you got of those guys listed were the only options.

Dee Gordon was ok 5years ago. Look at his stats recently. He has not opsed .700 in three years. You are better off throwing Garcia out there who can play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Dee Gordon was ok 5years ago. Look at his stats recently. He has not opsed .700 in three years. You are better off throwing Garcia out there who can play defense.
    Likely. I was just referencing the list in this thread. I’d move Dee around a bit. If his bat gets hot, then give him the starts at SS. If not, you’re likely correct.

16. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (02-13-2021)

Speaking of dumpster diving, Jay Bruce signs with the Yanks and Billy Hamilton with the Indians. Both are minor league deals.

Was surprised last year that Alex didn’t make the club and for the most part was at Prasco/taxi squad.
    I was more than surprised... wondering if he did or said something that got him on the #$*#list?

He's a disaster defensively at SS and hasn't hit since 2017.

I figured Bell just hates Stanford Cardinal Baseball.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?