Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incoming snowpocalypse in Cincinnati Monday night

Re: Incoming snowpocalypse in Cincinnati Monday night

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    My parents have had a high school kid do their landscaping/shoveling for a few years. He is a senior this year and has about 10 other kids working off and on for him. He told my mom he made $50k in 2020. There are still some hustlers out there.
    My senior year of HS in Cincinnati (2001) I got screwed by basically no snow, but the year before I made about $10k. I also umpired baseball and my main job was working in a restaurant. I used to go into 5/3 Bank to make these cash deposits a couple times a week and I'm pretty sure the lady there thought I was a drug dealer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I wish I was a kid again, and not in my mid-60s (LOL). Not just going sledding, with all the hills around here, but I raked it in shoveling sidewalks. Kids don't seem to want to do that these days.
    I like tromping a new path through fresh snow, especially at night when the streetlights have everything illuminated.

My son made some bank shoveling, though he burned out six years ago when we got a record snowfall. The snow was piled eight feet high along the streets and sidewalks. I stayed away from the shoveling-for-dollars gig in my teen years. We had a driveway with a steep upward angle to the street. Had to keep it manicured just to get a car up the thing. By the time I was done getting that slope pristine the last thing I wanted to do was more shoveling. I even kind of like shoveling, but I wasn't looking to make it a lifestyle.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

As a freight broker: this week is going to suckkkkkkkkk
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    As a freight broker: this week is going to suckkkkkkkkk
    Funny. One of my best friends is one too. He just said the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like tromping a new path through fresh snow, especially at night when the streetlights have everything illuminated.

My son made some bank shoveling, though he burned out six years ago when we got a record snowfall. The snow was piled eight feet high along the streets and sidewalks. I stayed away from the shoveling-for-dollars gig in my teen years. We had a driveway with a steep upward angle to the street. Had to keep it manicured just to get a car up the thing. By the time I was done getting that slope pristine the last thing I wanted to do was more shoveling. I even kind of like shoveling, but I wasn't looking to make it a lifestyle.
    Shoved a bunch as a kid, a bunch yesterday, with layers of ice at the bottom still not the funniest thing I've done outside. I do love to walk in the snow in the dark alone, the sound is amazing

7. Likes:

M2 (02-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Funny. One of my best friends is one too. He just said the exact same thing.
    Yeah, pretty much all the LTL terminals in half the country were either closed today or had limited operations. On the truckload side pretty much no carriers are looking for loads until I am assuming Thursday. I usually end my day with most of my full truckloads covered and roll 1 or 2 tops to the next day. Today I had 24 full trucks uncovered and rolled them all to Wednesday pick. I did this early hoping to get them covered, but I logged off this afternoon with all 24 still uncovered.

Not great Bob.

Watching the news the past few days makes me appreciate living in a region equipped to handle winter.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-19-2021),Chip R (02-17-2021),westofyou (02-17-2021)

I was in Myrtle Beach during the winter of 1989 for Hurricane Hugo. They had a freak snowstorm Christmas week, dumping around a foot of snow.

There's not a snow tire or snow plow in eastern South Carolina.

The head of the state road commission came on TV and was asked what his plan was to remove the snow.

He thought for a second and said "well, we're hoping it's going to melt". That was the plan. And it took about 2 weeks before it melted.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

12. Likes:

M2 (02-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I was in Myrtle Beach during the winter of 1989 for Hurricane Hugo. They had a freak snowstorm Christmas week, dumping around a foot of snow.

The head of the state road commission came on TV and was asked what his plan was to remove the snow.

He thought for a second and said "well, we're hoping it's going to melt". That was the plan. And it took about 2 weeks before it melted.
    To be fair: all the stuff we do to remove snow for a couple days has been absolutely horrible for the environment.

Not saying that’s why he said that, but it’s not like snow is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Atlanta in late 90's same thing, took a week

We don't do salt in the PNW, just on major highways, so lots of sand and waiting. I am lucky to live in a walkable neighborhood so trips to the stores are easy

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    My wife sent me a pic of 95% of the bread was sold out at the local Kroger. I keep thinking the general public is generally smarter than people think, but these type of events really make me rethink things.
    We went shopping on Friday because we knew Saturday would be crazy and my fiancee works on Saturday and Sunday and has the car. Kroger seemed to be low on eggs in dozens containers and oddly enough, yogurt. Funny thing is they were low on yogurt the week before. The weekend that was open before the Super Bowl there was no queso dip to be found and no turkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Watching the news the past few days makes me appreciate living in a region equipped to handle winter.
    My parents are in Austin without any running water for the last few days. They've lived in the upper midwest their whole lives, so they can roll with the cold and snow. But it sounds like quite the clutser down there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    We went shopping on Friday because we knew Saturday would be crazy and my fiancee works on Saturday and Sunday and has the car. Kroger seemed to be low on eggs in dozens containers and oddly enough, yogurt. Funny thing is they were low on yogurt the week before. The weekend that was open before the Super Bowl there was no queso dip to be found and no turkeys.
    This is why you've got to have Ro-Tel and Velveeta on hand at all times as part of a home disaster preparedness kit.

18. Likes:

Chip R (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    My parents are in Austin without any running water for the last few days. They've lived in the upper midwest their whole lives, so they can roll with the cold and snow. But it sounds like quite the clutser down there.
    My BIL says the southerners need to stay off the roads and the northerners there need their heavy coat. The folks I know in Dallas have no water or electricity, plus it's 21 degrees. Anyone who has ever lived in a warm weather region knows how terrible the insulation on homes are when the weather gets freezing, many only have wall/baseboard heating and that sucks when the electric works.

- - - Updated - - -

This is why you've got to have Ro-Tel and Velveeta on hand at all times as part of a home disaster preparedness kit.
    I have a can of Ro-Tel

Texas is a disaster, and as predicted everyone in the country wants to turn this into a political thing. For goodness sakes, will we ever get to the point where solutions to complex problems can once again be solved by the people with horn rimmed glasses, white short sleeved shirts and pocket protectors?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

21. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-19-2021),Sea Ray (02-19-2021),WrongVerb (02-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?