Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incoming snowpocalypse in Cincinnati Monday night

Re: Incoming snowpocalypse in Cincinnati Monday night

Hopefully one of the things that happens long term is more interconnectivity of national grids. While Texas was freezing Florida had 80 temps yesterday and could have been pouring electricity into that state.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Texas is a disaster, and as predicted everyone in the country wants to turn this into a political thing. For goodness sakes, will we ever get to the point where solutions to complex problems can once again be solved by the people with horn rimmed glasses, white short sleeved shirts and pocket protectors?
    Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Hopefully one of the things that happens long term is more interconnectivity of national grids. While Texas was freezing Florida had 80 temps yesterday and could have been pouring electricity into that state.
    Texas wants privatized non regulation utilities, can’t/won’t happen
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Texas wants privatized non regulation utilities, can’t/won’t happen
    That is 100% irrelevant.

How is that irrelevant?

6. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-19-2021)

Whether utilities are public or private they all buy/sell electricity on the open market. Happens thousands of times every day all over the country/world. The problem is that the various national grids (I think there are 4 or 5) don't "talk" well with each other so the buying/selling all takes place within the local grid.

They need to be able to go from grid to grid. This isn't a Texas thing. All of the various grids are isolated.

I read a news article about a project called SEAMS that was supposed to allow them to buy/sell nationwide but politics (at national level) shot it down. Hopefully this gets it going again.

But that's a long term deal. like at least 5 years I assume.

Whether utilities are public or private they all buy/sell electricity on the open market. Happens thousands of times every day all over the country/world. The problem is that the various national grids (I think there are 4 or 5) don't "talk" well with each other so the buying/selling all takes place within the local grid.

They need to be able to go from grid to grid. This isn't a Texas thing. All of the various grids are isolated.

I read a news article about a project called SEAMS that was supposed to allow them to buy/sell nationwide but politics (at national level) shot it down. Hopefully this gets it going again.

But that's a long term deal. like at least 5 years I assume.
    Ok, so if electricity was nationalized wouldn’t the grids not be isolated? Texas would never go for that.

Nationalized? Like in Mexico or Venezuela?

Nationalized? Like in Mexico or Venezuela?
    Isn’t that what you are calling for basically?

100% no. Couldn't be any more removed. It's actually a free market where anyone with excess electricity sells to anyone with a need for electricity. Right now it takes place within one grid. If the barriers were removed, anyone could sell anywhere. North Dakota could sell wind power at 7 PM ND time to California's peak demand at 5 PM.

A nuke plant could be selling to Texas.

100% no. Couldn't be any more removed. It's actually a free market where anyone with excess electricity sells to anyone with a need for electricity. Right now it takes place within one grid. If the barriers were removed, anyone could sell anywhere. North Dakota could sell wind power at 7 PM ND time to California's peak demand at 5 PM.

A nuke plant could be selling to Texas.
    Interesting, so what barriers are you referring to?

The ability to send power from one grid to another doesn't exist now. Physically. Removing those barriers is/was a political issue. But hopefully that now gets resolved over next few years.

14. Likes:

M2 (02-19-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-19-2021)

So the electrical part of the crisis is lessening. The Grid operator no longer says they are in a grid emergency. They've gone from 4.3 million homes without power to 185K. And they think a substantial portion of those will be resolved by tonight.

But 14 million without water !!

The freight industry, and I am not exaggerating is completely ****ed right now. There is no capacity out there to move loads. The rail was shut down for 3 days this week, our rail SME has been doing this for 30 years and said that’s never happened in his career. There is so much freight just sitting on docks right now. This includes many household products you use on a daily basis.

I was just talking to a coworker of mine that has been in freight industry for 25 years. He said this is the worst he has seen capacity in his career (we work for a top 5 freight broker in the world for reference). He told me straight out:

“I don’t mean to be doom and gloom but if you’re low on things like toilet paper, go to the store today and get more. The shelves are going to be empty by middle of this upcoming week and it’s going to take a long time for trucking market to normalize, especially with produce season starting in the coming weeks.”

Here in Montana, we went through 10 straight days of below zero weather, which included a stretch where temps didn't crack zero for 4 days in a row. Our mild winter suddenly bacane a typical winter. We went from 58% of normal snowpack to 104% in those 10 days. Folks who make a living plowing driveways went from virtually no work to logging overtime hours.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

My wife’s uncle lives in Houston. Since Kenya has relaxed travel restrictions, he decided to go home for a couple weeks. He flew out a couple days before this all hit. Talk about timing.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?