Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The DJ quote you posted earlier expressed his preference for bat missing to ground ball throwing. I fully agree with that.

And I know DJ wants pitchers to emphasize their strengths. I agree with that, even if it means more fly balls.

But - 29% GB rate and 50% fly balls for a GABP pitcher are extreme numbers. Unless you have the stuff and mastery of a Bauer or a Chapman it isn’t going to work over the longer term and I doubt Mahle wants those percentages in 2021.
    So the quote about the ballpark doesn't apply because??? I'm just saying, don't hold your breath on a ground ball emphasis for Mahle or anyone else

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Reds should really be thinking about adding another arm to the mix. Odorizzi or Porcello for the rotation. Shane Greene is still looking for work. They're going to need at least another reliable guy who can give them 50 innings in the bullpen or it's going to be a long season.
    Yep, Sonny is always on the verge of time on the injury list and if that happens ... and with Miley's history and Lorenzen as a crap shoot in the rotation until he proves differently, they are at least a proven arm short.

4. Likes:

Mitri (03-02-2021),REDREAD (03-06-2021),Revering4Blue (03-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    So the quote about the ballpark doesn't apply because??? I'm just saying, don't hold your breath on a ground ball emphasis for Mahle or anyone else
    I doubt DJ meant to be expressing favor for a an extreme fly ball tendency for his pitchers at GABP.

Iglesias’ 2019 extreme fly ball rate declined dramatically last year. I doubt that was an accident. I’m sure the pitching coaches helped bring about that result. I expect a similar normalization of batted ball rates from Mahle in 2021.

Castillo, Gray, Miley, and Lorenzen all have ground ball tendencies, to a greater or lesser extent. So this issue doesn’t arise with that group.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-02-2021 at 02:44 PM.

I doubt DJ meant to be expressing favor for a an extreme fly ball tendency for his pitchers at GABP.

Iglesias’ 2019 extreme fly ball rate declined dramatically last year. I doubt that was an accident. I’m sure the pitching coaches helped bring about that result.

I don’t DJ to cause Mahle to have a ground ball emphasis. I do expect Mahle to try and reduce his FB rates to a more normal level.
    You're twisting my words. I didn't say DJ wants extreme fly ball numbers. Mahle will almost assuredly "regress to the mean" a bit with his fly ball rate in 2021 but it's not going to be some emphasis of the coaching staff. Until it becomes a problem, it doesn't make sense to start tinkering when he's having success

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You're twisting my words. I didn't say DJ wants extreme fly ball numbers. Mahle will almost assuredly "regress to the mean" a bit with his fly ball rate in 2021 but it's not going to be some emphasis of the coaching staff. Until it becomes a problem, it doesn't make sense to start tinkering when he's having success
    My expectation is the pitching coaches will work with Mahle to improve, including focus on the batted ball tendencies against him. Mahle is improving but not a finished product. I don’t think DJ meant to imply anything different.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-02-2021 at 03:09 PM.

My expectation is the pitching coaches will work with Mahle to improve, including focus on the batted ball tendencies against him. Mahle is improving but not a finished product. I don’t think DJ meant to imply anything different.
    Again, I'm not saying the coaching staff is going to stop coaching Mahle for some unknown reason. I think it is clear by DJ's comments he is agnostic about where batted ball outs come from, regardless of their home park. Option A appears to be missing bats, so they will continue working with him on that. I'm sure they will be looking at batted ball stuff but, based on his comments, I expect they will be much more concerned with exit velocities and hard hit rates than his GB/FB rates

Solid article by Sheldon breaking down the rotation of each team in the NL Central. Long Story Short... All have major questions marks, but the Reds easily have the best 1-2 punch at the top:

https://www.mlb.com/news/nl-central-...kdown-for-2021
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

HammerTime (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Absurd.
    So far he really hasn’t shown that he is much more than a 5th/swing guy. He might take a step forward this year. Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    So far he really hasn’t shown that he is much more than a 5th/swing guy. He might take a step forward this year. Dunno.
    Maybe if you just completely ignore what he did and how he looked in 2020.

I have been one of Mahle’s harshest critics on this board over the past 3-4 years. I was wrong.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Maybe if you just completely ignore what he did and how he looked in 2020.

I have been one of Mahle’s harshest critics on this board over the past 3-4 years. I was wrong.
    He hasn’t really racked up enough innings to be considered anything more than a 5th starter. Let’s see what he can do for a 120-130 innings before we declare him anything else.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He hasn’t really racked up enough innings to be considered anything more than a 5th starter. Let’s see what he can do for a 120-130 innings before we declare him anything else.
    That’s fair, but you can’t just scout the stat line. He has MOR stuff. K’s a lot.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The Reds are confident Lorenzen can be effective in either role, but several factors will determine where he starts the season.

“There’s a pretty large sample size with what the hitters do with my stuff. If you’re relying on Spring Training to make a decision, it’s pretty foolish,” Lorenzen said. “I don’t think that that’s what they’re going to do. We’re a lot better than that. With [Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson] and David [Bell], they’re really smart and so they’re not going to make that decision based off of this. They had the belief in me to make two starts in do-or-die situations late down the stretch. I don’t think they’re going to make a call based off of Spring Training numbers of whether or not I’m in the rotation.”
    Jesse Sanchez reds.com

Gray
    Castillo
    Mahle
    Antone
    Lodolo

Lorenzen and Miley in pen as back up options

Seems pretty easy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Solid article by Sheldon breaking down the rotation of each team in the NL Central. Long Story Short... All have major questions marks, but the Reds easily have the best 1-2 punch at the top:

https://www.mlb.com/news/nl-central-...kdown-for-2021

Easily the best in the central.

But the back 3 really are a bunch of wild cards. It could get ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Ash11 View Post
    Gray
    Castillo
    Mahle
    Antone
    Lodolo

Lorenzen and Miley in pen as back up options

Seems pretty easy to me.