Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Barring injury or some other weird situation, that was always going to be the case.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

REDREAD (02-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Barring injury or some other weird situation, that was always going to be the case.
    How so? Only 3 spots are decided right now (or at least should be) - Gray, Castillo, and Mahle. Why was it a foregone conclusion Antone would be in the bullpen? I’m calling BS on that.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Barring injury or someone completely falling off a cliff, this is the rotation; Gray, Castillo, Mahle, Miley, Lorenzen.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

6. Likes:

REDREAD (02-27-2021)

If you’re correct about Lorenzen (and Miley really) being a lock already Derek Johnson isn’t as great as we think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If you’re correct about Lorenzen (and Miley really) being a lock already Derek Johnson isn’t as great as we think he is.
    You’re not really making any sense. Calm down. It’s been pretty clear that Miley (because of his contract) and Lorenzen (because of his tenure/salary/success in 2020) would fill out the rotation. Should they falter, Antone may get his chances.

Personally I believe Tejay is best suited as a 3-6 out hammer in the pen, the guy who gives us the most innings in the pen. Also, both Miley and Lorenzen will be on new teams in 22, which means Antone may already have a lock on a spot in one year. Patience.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (02-27-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Barring injury or someone completely falling off a cliff, this is the rotation; Gray, Castillo, Mahle, Miley, Lorenzen.
    Woof

no it just means you're not living in reality. miley is making $7.5M this year. he's a lock for the rotation. lorenzen is making north of $4M. he's also a lock for the rotation.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (02-27-2021)

Haven't read the article, but it's a damn bad sign if the Reds are committing to guys because of their salaries.

It's one thing to pay Votto MVP money and have to run him out there. It's an entirely different thing to pay Michael Lorenzen $4.4 million and resort to giving him 150 IP (especially since he's a complete unknown as a starter).

It may work out. They obviously have lots more info and data on these guys, but even Johnson's quotes above seem less than convinced on Lorenzen. It's just such a loser tendency to let salary commitments dictate roster and playing decisions. What a painful offseason.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-28-2021),membengal (02-28-2021),REDREAD (02-27-2021),tripleaaaron (02-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    You’re not really making any sense. Calm down. It’s been pretty clear that Miley (because of his contract) and Lorenzen (because of his tenure/salary/success in 2020) would fill out the rotation. Should they falter, Antone may get his chances.

Personally I believe Tejay is best suited as a 3-6 out hammer in the pen, the guy who gives us the most innings in the pen. Also, both Miley and Lorenzen will be on new teams in 22, which means Antone may already have a lock on a spot in one year. Patience.
    Calm down? Can people stop saying “calm down” when people simply state an opinion?

I mean, isn’t it beyond a fact that a starter is way more valuable than a reliever at this point over the course of a 162 game season? I feel way more confident in Tejay than Lorenzen.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    no it just means you're not living in reality. miley is making $7.5M this year. he's a lock for the rotation. lorenzen is making north of $4M. he's also a lock for the rotation.
    I agree Miley is effectively a lock because of his salary (that’s why I put it in parenthesis after Lorenzen. Lorenzen should absolutely not be a lock already. That’s absurd.

I'm Swiss on whether Lorenzen or Antone should be a short duration SP or a long reliever. Slightly more innings for the former, probably higher leverage for the 2nd.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm Swiss on whether Lorenzen or Antone should be a short duration SP or a long reliever. Slightly more innings for the former, probably higher leverage for the 2nd.
    I agree with this. Ideally, you'd let the guy who has the better spring have the higher leverage/more IP spot. Neither has earned the spot yet.

If Krall or Castellini or whoever is dictating things from the top like Lorenzen's got the spot because of his arbitration money--and given the events of the offseason, this seems plausible--we're more boned then we already know.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 02-27-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I agree with this. Ideally, you'd let the guy who has the better spring have the higher leverage/more IP spot. Neither has earned the spot yet.

If Krall or Castellini or whoever has already decided Lorenzen's got the spot because of his arbitration money--and given the events of the offseason, this seems plausible--we're more boned then we already know.
    That’s exactly my point: David Bell is already saying Antone is going to be a reliever before they’ve even played one inning of spring training baseball. This is one of the more alarming developments of the offseason to me. Krall spent the offseason saying there’s going to be a lot of competition for the back end of the rotation and before even 1 pitch of spring training is thrown Bell is basically saying “lol PSYCH!”

That’s exactly my point: David Bell is already saying Antone is going to be a reliever before they’ve even played one inning of spring training baseball. This is one of the more alarming developments of the offseason to me. Krall spent the offseason saying there’s going to be a lot of competition for the back end of the rotation and before even 1 pitch of spring training is thrown Bell is basically saying “lol PSYCH!”
    Nevermind the fact that they brought in no pitching help outside of Doolittle. Just a dog's breakfast of AAAA and never-beens.

I'm not sure if it's where I am personally or the actual events of the offseason, but I can't remember being this frustrated with the Reds. Between the normal cheapo stuff with Casali and Bradley, the big-talk no-action SS game and shining-em-up spring talk, every word and move has me ready to write a stern letter to Uncle Bob in ALL CAPS.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-28-2021),REDREAD (02-27-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-27-2021),wally post (02-27-2021)

Not sure what’s so unclear about the Reds’ economics.

At $4.4 million Lorenzen is getting every chance to start. They aren’t paying relievers this year.

If the Reds thought he couldn’t start, he’d have been traded or non-tendered. They dumped two closers - one with a similar salary - why would they pay Lorenzen?

If Mike doesn’t make the rotation good chance he’ll be dealt by the deadline.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-27-2021 at 08:32 PM.

23. Likes:

JFLegal (02-27-2021),mth123 (02-28-2021),REDREAD (02-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?