Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That was in 47 innings though.
    Be that as it may: the idea 2012 Leake would be better than Mahle this year doesn’t really make sense. Leake wasn’t even good in 2012.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Which is not to say that I think Mahle will for sure suck or anything, but he does still have a mid/high-ish 4 career ERA, FIP and xFIP. I’d basically give him the same track record at this point that Mike Leake had in 2012, although Leake had been able to pitch 160-180 or so innings by then.
    Mahle’s career ERA doesn’t really matter for how good he may be now, though. He’s entering his age 26 season after being very good in a SSS in 2020.

Also, his ERA stunk in 2019, but he had a 9.0 k/9 and 2.3 bb/9. Last year his k/9 jumped up to 11.3. He’s clearly becoming a solid SP. I’ve been a Mahle skeptic for some time, but I think you’re underselling his talent. He has the makings of being a very solid 3rd starter.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Mahle’s career ERA doesn’t really matter for how good he may be now, though. He’s entering his age 26 season after being very good in a SSS in 2020.

Also, his ERA stunk in 2019, but he had a 9.0 k/9 and 2.3 bb/9. Last year his k/9 jumped up to 11.3. He’s clearly becoming a solid SP. I’ve been a Mahle skeptic for some time, but I think you’re underselling his talent. He has the makings of being a very solid 3rd starter.
    He might be talented, but I don’t have anymore faith in him than I would Leake at the same point in his career. His 2019/2020 combined stats, he’s got a 4.72 ERA/4.45 FIP over 177 IP. He has some hot stretches in 2019 too, idk if it’s quite the same, but I’m not convinced by 47 innings that he’s a dependable guy as a third starter yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Charlie Goldsmith ---

De Léon’s last four fastballs were clocked at 93, 92, 93, 94.
    Quote Tweet

-------

I'd have like to seen a little higher.
    if he makes the team, we're in even bigger trouble than i thought.

He might be talented, but I don’t have anymore faith in him than I would Leake at the same point in his career. His 2019/2020 combined stats, he’s got a 4.72 ERA/4.45 FIP over 177 IP. He has some hot stretches in 2019 too, idk if it’s quite the same, but I’m not convinced by 47 innings that he’s a dependable guy as a third starter yet.
    definitely more of a solid #5 starter on a contender, so i hear you. but for this reds squad, he's ok as the #3. i'd of course prefer for them to sign jake odorizzi as the #3 starter which would put mahle (and miley) where they should be in the rotation, and would allow lorenzen to stay in the pen, but here we are.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    if he makes the team, we're in even bigger trouble than i thought.
    He’s AAA depth. If he makes the rotation it means at least 2 starters got injured during ST.

He’s AAA depth. If he makes the rotation it means at least 2 starters got injured during ST.
    exactly.

11. Likes:

M2 (02-28-2021),Ron Madden (02-28-2021),SirFelixCat (03-01-2021),Tuff Nut (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Among the reasons for Lorenzen in the rotation is that it allows him to be available for pinch running, pinch hitting, and OF defense 4 out of 5 games. It's like having an extra roster spot.
    That’s what I am afraid of. I’m not that impressed with Lorenzen in the field or at the plate either. Guess that I am not as huge a Lorenzen fan as many folks are.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 02-28-2021 at 11:06 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

13. Likes:

KronoRed (03-01-2021)

In an article about "Ace stuff" some Reds get some love.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pitchers-who-throw-like-aces

They say Mahle has Bauer's fastball.

Lorenzen has Shane Bieber's curve

And Josh Osich who's becoming a household name today has Zach Britton's sinker.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

15. Likes:

757690 (03-01-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Mahle shows all the signs that 2021 will be a breakout year for him.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

He's more than AAA depth. I think it's unlikely we see anyone making 32 starts or 200 innings this year because of the innings increase that would require over 2020.
    They will need 6 or 7 starters more than even in normal years. I'm guessing we'll see Mahle, Castillo, Gray, Miley limited to 4 or 5 innings at times and even skip some starts to get 5 or 6 days rest in July/August. My guess is it's gonna be more like 28 starts and 160 innings max for these guys if they're going to have anything left for a playoff game. Really need some competitive starts from DeLeon, Antone, Hoffman, or maybe Lodolo/Green late in the year. Every team will face this problem.
    Last edited by UPRedsFan; 03-01-2021 at 03:20 PM.

18. Likes:

757690 (03-01-2021),REDREAD (03-01-2021),Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

---
    Last edited by MoneyInTheBank; 03-01-2021 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Deleted - New thread was started on Antone

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I probably see the Lorenzen in the outfield issue differently. If he's a credible fifth starter, do you take a chance on a pulled hamstring by playing him in the outfield?
    Yea, wasn't there some news about Lorenzen having a nagging soreness or tendentious in one of his knees from pinch running and playing the OF? Or those roles bothered his knee. I think it was the knee, it was a leg part.

I just don't see the value in risking one of your rotation starters like that. Remember that knee injury that Browning had
    which ended his career (more or less, he was never the same).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If Mahle sucks, they're screwed (at least in terms of making the playoffs). They should have added another #3 SP type. They didn't and it leaves them thinner than they ideally should be. Their top 3 SPs and their top 4-5 guys in the pen need to pitch well, but that's true of almost every single team.
    Agreed. But that's the fear I have. The top 5 guys in the bullpen are:
    1. Antone
    2. Sims
    3. Garrett
    4. Noe Rameriz (career 4.51 FIP, 4.52 FIP last year, will be 31 years old)
    5. I guess Dolittle?

Bullpen Depth:
    Bedrosian or another journeyman or hope a kid steps up?

That just does not inspire much confidence in the bullpen from me. Keep in mind, Bell uses his bullpen hard.
    He does need a good top 4-5 guys. The top 3 are fine. The rest are very iffy.
    Note, I am glad the Reds signed Bedrosian and Dolittle if that's all they could afford, just saying the top 3 guys are likely
    going to get burnt out quick by Bell.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?