Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldsmith says Winker practicing 1B in pregame

Goldsmith says Winker practicing 1B in pregame

Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Goldsmith says Winker practicing 1B in pregame

Winker at first would help matters considerably. Once the DH returns it would free up Votto for that DH spot. For now, it would allow Shogo to play LF where he was a GG finalist last season. Short term he could be an injury fill in for Votto.

Jesse doesn’t seem to have pro experience at first, let’s hope he can make the transition.

4. Likes:

Mitri (05-08-2021),Old school 1983 (05-10-2021)

Senzel 2B
    Winker 1B
    Catellanos RF
    Moustakas 3B
    Suarez SS
    Naquin CF
    Akiyama LF
    Barnhart C
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Senzel 2B
    Winker 1B
    Catellanos RF
    Moustakas 3B
    Suarez SS
    Naquin CF
    Akiyama LF
    Barnhart C
    Not sure they would be moving Winker to first to accommodate a defensive middle infield of Suarez and Senzel.

Maybe for some games but not as a regular lineup.

Reds probably want Senzel in CF as much as possible. And Suarez at shortstop as little as possible.

Quite striking how much havoc has been caused by the Reds’ decision not to go after a starting shortstop this off-season. Every “solution” presents a problem.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-09-2021 at 08:55 AM.

7. Likes:

goldglover9 (05-09-2021),KeefeCato (05-09-2021),REDREAD (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Quite striking how much havoc has been caused by the Reds’ decision not to go after a starting shortstop this off-season. Every “solution” presents a problem.
    What a surprise this is. Who could have seen this coming?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

9. Likes:

Kc61 (05-09-2021),Red Raindog (05-09-2021),REDREAD (05-10-2021)

Winker at first would help matters considerably. Once the DH returns it would free up Votto for that DH spot. For now, it would allow Shogo to play LF where he was a GG finalist last season. Short term he could be an injury fill in for Votto.

Jesse doesn’t seem to have pro experience at first, let’s hope he can make the transition.
    The biggest problem is that 1B is a lot harder to learn than people think. It's not as demanding physically as other positions, but it takes time to learn roles/positioning.

The Reds have basically turned into a little league team, shifting guys all around the diamond. It shows.

11. Likes:

mth123 (05-09-2021),REDREAD (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Senzel 2B
    Winker 1B
    Catellanos RF
    Moustakas 3B
    Suarez SS
    Naquin CF
    Akiyama LF
    Barnhart C
    Looks good except I’m not a Senzel fan. Definitely not at the top of the order. The only thing he does that I like is run the bases, which is helpful for lead off. But you still have to get on base. Maybe if he can get to .340+ OBP and stay there. I just don’t see it happening.
    Last edited by RiverfrontRed; 05-09-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    The Reds have basically turned into a little league team, shifting guys all around the diamond. It shows.
    I don't know. I think we have to separate moving Suarez to SS with moving Moustakas/Senzel around and Winker taking ground balls at 1B.

Moustakas and Senzel have legitimate positional versatility, which is not a bad thing. I wouldn't overreact to Winker taking ground balls in pregame. Let's face it, that's probably where he ends up as he ages. Suarez to SS? I'll give you that one for sure.

I don’t like jerking players around like this. Winker is developing in LF. Let him continue to do so.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 05-10-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Mitri (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t like jerking players around like this. Winker is developing in LF. Let his continue to do so.
    He was taking ground balls pregame, not making a full time position switch midseason. He's 27 years old and has played almost exclusively corner OF (mostly LF) since he was 18. He's never been particularly good at it, is taking some ground balls going to stunt his growth as an OFer?

17. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-10-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-10-2021)

I think people vastly overstate the difficulty of playing multiple positions.

These are professionals. They play baseball for a living. Coaches can work with them on little nuances. They likely grew up playing many positions.

There's probably a percentage of players that aren't mentally/psychologically able to bounce around positions, but for the most part it's just a different perspective to the game. It's the same skills more or less.

I know this will get tuttuttut'd. But you can't convince me that it's that difficult. Either you can field a ground ball or you can't, you can judge a fly ball or you can't. And most players are mentally sturdy enough to adapt and understand they may struggle early in the change and not fall to pieces.

I think Winker to first base is a great idea. He'll be fine over there. More flexibility for the time-being and likely a defensive home down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think people vastly overstate the difficulty of playing multiple positions.

These are professionals. They play baseball for a living. Coaches can work with them on little nuances. They likely grew up playing many positions.

There's probably a percentage of players that aren't mentally/psychologically able to bounce around positions, but for the most part it's just a different perspective to the game. It's the same skills more or less.

I know this will get tuttuttut'd. But you can't convince me that it's that difficult. Either you can field a ground ball or you can't, you can judge a fly ball or you can't. And most players are mentally sturdy enough to adapt and understand they may struggle early in the change and not fall to pieces.

I think Winker to first base is a great idea. He'll be fine over there. More flexibility for the time-being and likely a defensive home down the road.
    The goal should be a good to excellent defensive team. You’re playing for a championship. You want players at positions at which they are proficient.

Sometimes there’s no choice and first base is not a premium position. If they can move Winker there, ok.

But the goal should not be guys moving all over the diamond to play out of position. Try to make sure positions are covered by players who actually are good at them.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-10-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    He was taking ground balls pregame, not making a full time position switch midseason. He's 27 years old and has played almost exclusively corner OF (mostly LF) since he was 18. He's never been particularly good at it, is taking some ground balls going to stunt his growth as an OFer?
    People keep saying stuff like this every time a player gets moved around again. Meanwhile the Reds continue to give up runs because of bad defense. Everyone is killing Castillo right now and Senzel had multiple bad plays at 2B on Saturday. He gave up an error on Friday that cost Miley a shot at a perfect game. Senzel is a player the reds have been jerking around the Diamond since he was drafted. I was watching the Indians broadcast and they had an entire segment about how every reds player has 2-3 different gloves. Manning made a comment “yeah, but nobody is a great defender at one position...” and he’s absolutely right.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    People keep saying stuff like this every time a player gets moved around again. Meanwhile the Reds continue to give up runs because of bad defense. Everyone is killing Castillo right now and Senzel had multiple bad plays at 2B on Saturday. He gave up an error on Friday that cost Miley a shot at a perfect game. Senzel is a player the reds have been jerking around the Diamond since he was drafted. I was watching the Indians broadcast and they had an entire segment about how every reds player has 2-3 different gloves. Manning made a comment “yeah, but nobody is a great defender at one position...” and he’s absolutely right.
    Agree fully. Having said that, it’s not that unusual for an outfielder to learn to play first base. But overall the Reds have used “positional flexibility” as a substitute for finding good defenders, including at key positions like shortstop.

And it shows.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2021)

But overall the Reds have used “positional flexibility” as a substitute for finding good defenders, including at key positions like shortstop.

And it shows.
    Does it?

So far this season in an extremely small sample size, Eugenio Suarez's SS defense ranks 20th in UZR/150. His UZR is 23rd. His defensive WAR is 0.2 and 22nd.

I'd largely argue that Suarez's glove has been a success.

It's his bat that's gone AWOL.

Turn Off Ads?