Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think the concern here though is Miley's injury history. There's a very real chance he won't be healthy enough to pitch enough innings to just be slotted into the 4th slot. The others, IMO are a crapshoot to be meaningful contributors in the rotation. This also doesn't even account for the fact that Mahle as a 3 is pretty risky too (I'd feel better if he were the 4 or even 5 guy). It could work out, but I'd sure feel a lot better if there was at least one more surer bet in the rotation.
    I wanted that #3 starter too. Get that and a quality reliever (or just keep Archie Bradley) and we're all probably pretty stoked about this pitching staff. Yet you've got to at least profile as decent for that to be the case. So, yeah, stuff could go wrong. Always could. It could also go right, and we've been through too many seasons where that wasn't the case.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's literally not injured. I'm perfectly willing to recognize Miley could get injured or have a bad season, but he's also capable of being something like his 2018-19 form.
    You understand how aging works though. You start breaking down. Pitching is an unnatural motion. Unless your Bronson Arroyo, you only get so many pitches before things start going to hell.

Miley has already showed some pretty clear signs of wear. If we're being honest with ourselves, we're hoping Miley has one more good season left in him. And he may very well, but given the nature of the human body, it's probably likely that he's going to limp through this season. Here's hoping Miley can capture the magic of the last time him and Johnson teamed up (but even then, it was an 80 IP season).

5. Likes:

Kinsm (02-28-2021),membengal (02-28-2021),REDREAD (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    You understand how aging works though. You start breaking down. Pitching is an unnatural motion. Unless your Bronson Arroyo, you only get so many pitches before things start going to hell.

Miley has already showed some pretty clear signs of wear. If we're being honest with ourselves, we're hoping Miley has one more good season left in him. And he may very well, but given the nature of the human body, it's probably likely that he's going to limp through this season. Here's hoping Miley can capture the magic of the last time him and Johnson teamed up (but even then, it was an 80 IP season).
    I understand that he's 34, which isn't particularly old, and you're putting way too much weight on 2020. My basic take on Miley is he never had a lot of stuff, so I'm not worried about him losing it. Just make sure he's loaded up with the sticky stuff to give him a spin rate. I'm guessing the Reds won't let him see a lineup the third time through all that often. Throw 5 and grab a shower.
    Last edited by M2; 02-28-2021 at 01:13 AM.

I'm totally cool with the rotation as is and ready to see how they do. Few teams have a 1-2 TOR like Castillo & Gray and none of those teams are in the NL Central. Most here seem to be good with Mahle and I am too. I think he has another level of upside he can reach to become as fearsome as Luis and Sonny.

For the last two rotation spots I see 4 realistic options: Miley, Lorenzen, Antone, and Lodolo. I think we are neglecting to include Lodolo in the rotation conversation. If Miley falls flat and Bell wants a lefty Lodolo can slide ride in assuming he's doing well in the minors at the start of the season. He was anticipated to be fast tracked through the minors and last year at Prasco is similar to me of his A+/AA development year. If he shows out in spring training it wouldn't shock me to see him break camp in the rotation if one of Lorenzen & Miley are hurt or just downright awful.

I just don’t see the appeal of Lorenzen in the rotation. I was never impressed with him as a starter. I see him more as a one inning 8th or 9th inning guy.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I'd be really, really surprised if Lodolo broke camp with Reds. The depth of the pitching is such, that if Miley (or someone else) comes up lame we have at least 3 guys in the pen that can fill the bill. DeLeon, Hoffman and Antone. And we have relievers on the 40 ready to replace them on the 26 like the Perez's.

I'm guessing that Reds would consider Romano in that 5th spot. For some reason, the Reds seem to like him more than his stats would indicate.

Lodolo has never officially pitched above A ball and would require a 40 man roster spot.

I'd consider the odds slim.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I just don’t see the appeal of Lorenzen in the rotation. I was never impressed with him as a starter. I see him more as a one inning 8th or 9th inning guy.
    Lorenzen’s K rate has improved under the new pitching coaches. I don’t think he’s the same pitcher, quite experienced now, is missing more bats. Worth a try. Highly motivated, a FA after the season.

I’m more concerned with Wade Miley who has had persistent injuries, particularly a groin injury.

For these BORs, even a good 4 inning stint is ok in today’s game. Even aces Gray and Castillo averaged under 6 innings per start last year and in 2019, although Castillo was just under 6.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-28-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    What I keep coming back to is if someone else is going to be better in that role than he is, then he slots quite nicely into the pen.

I'm hoping DeLeon shows up like he did in Puerto Rico and makes it obvious he belongs in the rotation.

Lorenzen can then become a set-up (or closing?) arm in the bullpen.

I just picture Lorenzen as a closer. A slow walk to the mound to some Metallica with a sleeveless shirt on, a quick flex, puts jersey on and max effort on every pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What I keep coming back to is if someone else is going to be better in that role than he is, then he slots quite nicely into the pen.
    Mike Leake?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Mike Leake?
    Has he opted in for this season?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Among the reasons for Lorenzen in the rotation is that it allows him to be available for pinch running, pinch hitting, and OF defense 4 out of 5 games. It's like having an extra roster spot.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

17. Likes:

M2 (02-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Among the reasons for Lorenzen in the rotation is that it allows him to be available for pinch running, pinch hitting, and OF defense 4 out of 5 games. It's like having an extra roster spot.
    That's definitely a nice bonus and it's a fair enough reason to give him primary consideration. Yet he's got to deliver on the pitching side of it. The late inning OF defense takes a leap forward if Lorenzen's available 80% of the time.

BillDoran on point in this thread.

Team BillDoran.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-28-2021),Revering4Blue (02-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?