Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I get it. It's just that I am not sure those 444 innings entitle him to HE'S IN THE ROTATION NO MATTER WHAT deference is all. He's looking to make the leap from bullpen to rotation, i kinda want to see outs. I want to see a him respond to competition and the challenge.
    Sometime in late March I'll join you in wanting to see something from him that looks like it can thrive in that role. Right now I don't care about whether he gets cuffed around or strikes out the side. My general take on Lorenzen is I don't care if he makes the leap to the rotation because he always can go back to the pen and thrive. Then someone else gets that slot. I doubt he gets a lot of rope.
    Last edited by M2; 03-06-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

HokieRed (03-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Maybe we see some Tampa Bay style usage of pitchers this year. Lorenzen and Miley might both be twice thru the lineup 4 inning guys. Antone and DeLeon could be 2-3 inning guys and you've got the opposition shut down thru 6 or 7 innings using your 4th and 5th spots in the rotation.
    Perhaps. I hate the heck out of that approach, but perhaps. As covered in the shift thread from earlier this off-season, having just turned 50, I am firmly in "old man yells at cloud" mode now. Doesn't help that baseball keeps changing the hell out of the game.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sometime in late March I'll join you in wanting to see something from him that looks like it can thrive in that roll. Right now I don't care about whether he gets cuffed around or strikes out the side. My general take on Lorenzen is I don't care if he makes the leap to the rotation because he always can go back to the pen and thrive. Then someone else gets that slot. I doubt he gets a lot of rope.
    Probably. Just something about his quote rubbed me the wrong way. I don't know that Lorenzen has earned "it's early". Perhaps he has. But didn't sit right to my ear. Not from him, anyway, looking to move into the rotation. Get some outs, meat.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

7. Likes:

BillDoran (03-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Maybe we see some Tampa Bay style usage of pitchers this year. Lorenzen and Miley might both be twice thru the lineup 4 inning guys. Antone and DeLeon could be 2-3 inning guys and you've got the opposition shut down thru 6 or 7 innings using your 4th and 5th spots in the rotation.
    That's what I generally expect. The inning load of long guys in the pen and short duration SPs could be very similar.

9. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-06-2021),Revering4Blue (03-10-2021)

Perhaps. I hate the heck out of that approach, but perhaps. As covered in the shift thread from earlier this off-season, having just turned 50, I am firmly in "old man yells at cloud" mode now. Doesn't help that baseball keeps changing the hell out of the game.
    I agree with you. Covid related or not. It’s a complete turn off from what I enjoyed about the game. Starters who started games with the intention of at least going 7 innings. Not asking for 35-40 starts 15-20 CG and 250-300 innings.
    Just how it was not even 10 years ago where guys could still go 6-7.

Then we can be in game threads reading posters get apoplectic about a starter coming anywhere near 120 pitches. Now it’s horrible that they even do 100. Only the rarest of aces get afforded that.

I even enjoyed the multiple innings relievers when you needed them. The Nasty Boys were not always one and done usage. They would go multiple innings then when you had Sullivan. Graves. Williamson. They did too. Scott had a rubber arm.
    Graves needed to work in order to be more effective.
    Williamson should have been the one inning just throw as hard as possible guy only.
    This always allowed for you to carry the extra bench player who could hit. He was not about how many positions he could play.

That’s the baseball I miss. Minus the steroids that made hitting homers a joke.

I guess if I was my age now in the 50s or 60s I would be deriding where did all the .300 hitters go from the 20s and 30s when whole teams hit close to .300 or in a lot of times did. I never thought HRs could become so boring to me when the unexpected one would be hit.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-09-2021),REDREAD (03-06-2021)

Seems like the rule is becoming you need to be a pretty good pitcher to get a crack at a third pass through the lineup. Guys at the bottom of the rotation are going to be tapping out after 4--5 innings.

13. Likes:

BillDoran (03-08-2021),Ron Madden (03-08-2021)

Charlie Goldsmith, Cincinnati Enquirer
    Because of travel issues from the Dominican Republic in February, Castillo was the last Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher to arrive to spring training and the last one to appear in a game or a simulated game. But after striking out three hitters in two innings of an intrasquad scrimmage on Monday, Castillo said he will be ready to pitch in a spring training game this week.

Castillo said he thought his first simulated game of the year went well.

“I was working on command of my pitches,” Castillo said. I was just working around the zone and making sure I was getting everything ready.”

Castillo’s turn in the rotation will come up Friday, when the Reds face the Seattle Mariners. Castillo could pitch in three or four spring training games before Opening Day on April 1.

This year, Castillo said it doesn’t matter to him if he starts the first or the second game of the regular season.

“Those are all management’s decisions,” Castillo said. “But whoever starts, whether it’s Sonny (Gray) or myself, I’ve done it before, I’d be happy if either one of us started Opening Day.”

If the season started tomorrow, my rotation would be:

Castillo
    Gray
    Antone
    Mahle
    Hoffman

I took a trip down memory lane to 2001, when the starting rotation was:

Elmer Dessens
    Chris Reitsma
    Lance Davis
    Jose Acevedo
    Osvaldo Fernandez

Sort of makes you thankful for who we have now, huh?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

Castillo
    Gray
    Antone
    Mahle
    Hoffman

Elmer Dessens
    Chris Reitsma
    Lance Davis
    Jose Acevedo
    Osvaldo Fernandez

I was think about this last night.

How many years would Mahle have been the staff's de facto "ace"? Antone? Lorenzen? Hoffman?

(The answer is too many, of course, but I'm guessing you could make a pretty convincing list.)

18. Likes:

wolfboy (03-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I was think about this last night.

How many years would Mahle have been the staff's de facto "ace"? Antone? Lorenzen? Hoffman?

(The answer is too many, of course, but I'm guessing you could make a pretty convincing list.)
    I have to laugh when I read the angst of some posters today who whine about the team now. Those of us who were around here twenty years ago, are painfully aware that things could be worse ... a LOT worse.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-10-2021),Ron Madden (03-09-2021)

Castillo
    Gray
    Antone
    Mahle
    Hoffman

Elmer Dessens
    Chris Reitsma
    Lance Davis
    Jose Acevedo
    Osvaldo Fernandez

Elmer Dessens wouldn't be a bad addition to this pitching staff. He was an underrated pitcher on some bad teams. But he did manage 10.1 WAR in three years with the Reds.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-10-2021),HokieRed (03-10-2021),Kingspoint (03-10-2021),UKFlounder (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Elmer Dessens wouldn't be a bad addition to this pitching staff. He was an underrated pitcher on some bad teams. But he did manage 10.1 WAR in three years with the Reds.
    Don’t deny that there were some average starters sprinkled in, but to think of how many spring trainings we pinned our hopes on guys like Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Eric Milton, and Corey Lidle, although to be fair, Corey Lidle was halfway respectable when he left the Reds for Phillyland.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-10-2021),wally post (03-10-2021)

I have to laugh when I read the angst of some posters today who whine about the team now. Those of us who were around here twenty years ago, are painfully aware that things could be worse ... a LOT worse.
    2003, Lorenzen or Miley would have undoubtedly been the ace. Hoffman might have.

I'd have given quite a bit for Tyler Mahle as the would-be ace of the 2004 staff.

So, it appears there now needs to be three designations for Pitchers instead of the traditional two of Starters and Bullpen.

Starters:

Castillo
    Gray
    Mahle
    Miley

Cavalry:

Antone
    Lorenzen
    Hoffman
    Finnegan

Finishers:

Garrett
    Sims
    Bedrosian
    Ramirez
    Santillan
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Did Lorenzen's innings count today or no? Hope someone asks him.

Turn Off Ads?