Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

I’m not sure they’ll get that from Mahle, definitely not from Miley. If they do, they’ll be alright.

Hoping on a pitcher like De Leon to fill the gaps is a problem, though.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (04-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The fifth starter can be skipped with off-days. Last year Reds had one weak starter spot, the Disco/Miley/Antone/Lorenzen spot overall didn’t do that well. It didn’t matter much, the starter numbers were still very strong.

Lorenzen should be OK in that spot if healthy. If he fails, they can switch to somebody else.

The more important issue is to get a solid, consistent 170 innings on average from each of starters 1-4.
    I don't think this is the year to be skipping the 5th starter after only having a 60 game season last year.

5. Likes:

mth123 (04-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I don't think this is the year to be skipping the 5th starter after only having a 60 game season last year.
    Pitchers 1-4 still get four days’ rest with off days. If not, they can keep the fifth guy on a short leash, throw him 3-4 innings. A number of things they can do if needed to protect that fifth pitcher from too much exposure. Just don’t see the fifth starter as a major concern. Few teams have five solid starters.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-01-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Sonny Gray had an inning yesterday where he struck out the side in 11 pitches. #Reds still hopeful for a mid-April return. https://cincinnati.com/story/sports/m

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-07-2021),Edd Roush (04-01-2021),OGB (04-06-2021)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    For the second straight day, the Reds are getting a really nice start from a new pitcher.
    This time, it’s nine strikeouts in five innings from De León.

Reds have to be thrilled with the way De León and Jeff Hoffman have pitched on back-to-back days.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-06-2021 at 01:28 AM.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-06-2021),HokieRed (04-06-2021),OGB (04-06-2021),Revering4Blue (04-06-2021),Tom Servo (04-06-2021)

Would be great if the Reds brain trust was indeed able to find depth on the cheap, but obviously it’s a long season. Will be great to get Sonny back soon.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-06-2021),Griffey012 (04-06-2021),HokieRed (04-06-2021),REDREAD (04-16-2021),Ron Madden (04-06-2021)

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    Sonny Gray threw 60 pitches in Louisville tonight. He lobbied for more, but that's what he was allowed

14. Likes:

HokieRed (04-06-2021)

When Gray comes back - I think De Leon gets sent down no matter what - because he has that magical four option. De Leon needs to start every five days to build his confidence and will be the first man in if an injury occurs in the rotation.

De Leon, Lodolo and Greene would appear to be the future of the rotation for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    When Gray comes back - I think De Leon gets sent down no matter what - because he has that magical four option. De Leon needs to start every five days to build his confidence and will be the first man in if an injury occurs in the rotation.

De Leon, Lodolo and Greene would appear to be the future of the rotation for now.
    You might be right about how they shuffle things when Sonny returns, but De Leon is older than Luis Castillo. He's currently the 2nd oldest guy in the rotation (Mahle's the youngest). If he's going to be good, I'm all for him sticking around for a while, but I'd categorize him more as a help now guy than a future asset.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-06-2021),sdwagers (04-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You might be right about how they shuffle things when Sonny returns, but De Leon is older than Luis Castillo. He's currently the 2nd oldest guy in the rotation (Mahle's the youngest). If he's going to be good, I'm all for him sticking around for a while, but I'd categorize him more as a help now guy than a future asset.
    It depends on how much they like Romano and Fulmer. Those are the weakest link on the pitching side. Barring injury, either JDL gets sent down for starts in AAA or they try to pass one of Romano/Fulmer through waivers. With the way these guys are turning out, I doubt either of them would make it through. Some teams are going to try and get a taste of what DJ is cooking.

I would keep De Leon up in the bullpen, let him eat innings whenever possible, and say arrivederci to Sal.

So how long of a leash does Miley get if he goes out and gets shelled? Who goes when Gray and Lorenzen return? Isn’t De Leon the only one with options left? Maybe Perez, but there’s no way I’m putting him in AAA.

Cionel and JDL are the only relievers with an option remaining, I believe.

If Miley goes out and gets shelled, they have plenty of rested arms available. Cionel probably gets the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    It depends on how much they like Romano and Fulmer. Those are the weakest link on the pitching side. Barring injury, either JDL gets sent down for starts in AAA or they try to pass one of Romano/Fulmer through waivers. With the way these guys are turning out, I doubt either of them would make it through. Some teams are going to try and get a taste of what DJ is cooking.

I would keep De Leon up in the bullpen, let him eat innings whenever possible, and say arrivederci to Sal.
    I think most likely Romano gets DFA’d when Gray comes back, Hoffman to bullpen, JDL stays in rotation. I would bet both will get another start regardless. I know the Gray reports were good, but I bet he gets another warm-up.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

HammerTime (04-06-2021),Mitri (04-06-2021),Revering4Blue (04-06-2021),Tom Servo (04-06-2021)

I too feel Romano is the most likely to depart. He’s the most expendable. It’s too bad, I’d like to see him succeed as a Red, but his upside is likely lower than Fulmer, Hoffman, DeLeon.

I’m not a big fan of sending MLB capable guys to the minors. So I hope Reds are able to keep as many of these three as possible, let them sink or swim. DeLeon may have an option but at this point he needs to prove himself in the bigs.

Pitching is so different today, with five inning starts there are lots of available innings. There are innings available for these guys to prove themselves even in a relief role.

Romano has looked a lot better lately.
    Looks like a tough decision

25. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (04-06-2021),Shoeless Jeff (04-06-2021)

Turn Off Ads?