Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    I will never ever forgive Bryan Price for night after night after night running our "closer" J.J. Hoover out there and without a doubt blowing any lead and any game.
    Bryan Price is one of the worst Reds managers of all time. If not the worst.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I will never ever forgive Bryan Price for night after night after night running our "closer" J.J. Hoover out there and without a doubt blowing any lead and any game.
    It seemed like it lasted for months on end. 6 saves in 23 chances, and even the games he saved, he still gave up a few runs.

It seemed like it lasted for months on end. 6 saves in 23 chances, and even the games he saved, he still gave up a few runs.
    I literally had to stop watching baseball for an entire season because of those two men.

Be careful. That takes in a lot of territory.

It always made me shake my head at how bad he was at managing a pitching staff. In contrast Dusty, who had a reputation of ruining pitchers before coming to Cincinnati, I felt did a very credible job of running the pitching staff.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (04-13-2021)

I'm wondering what's up with this plan to stretch out Antone. Does that mean they want him in the rotation? Sonny's coming back this week. So that would chew up both De Leon and Hoffman's slots. I suppose Hoffman could settle into a long-man role in the pen. And Lorenzen would have to go back to the pen under that scenario.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm wondering what's up with this plan to stretch out Antone. Does that mean they want him in the rotation? Sonny's coming back this week. So that would chew up both De Leon and Hoffman's slots. I suppose Hoffman could settle into a long-man role in the pen. And Lorenzen would have to go back to the pen under that scenario.
    Yeah hard to tell what the plan is though I imagine Lorenzen isn't really factoring into things right now with how long he's expected to be out.

Personally, I think I might like Antone better in a Josh Hader 2-3 inning shutdown guy role than as a starter.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

M2 (04-13-2021),Mitri (04-13-2021),mth123 (04-13-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021),Ron Madden (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah hard to tell what the plan is though I imagine Lorenzen isn't really factoring into things right now with how long he's expected to be out.

Personally, I think I might like Antone better in a Josh Hader 2-3 inning shutdown guy role than as a starter.
    Given that good SPs only go 6 these days, I tend to agree about using Antone as that lockdown guy in the pen. He can chew up those medium leverage innings. It's already got him 3rd on the pitching staff in win probability.

13. Likes:

Mitri (04-13-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021),Ron Madden (04-13-2021),Tom Servo (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Be careful. That takes in a lot of territory.
    Vern Rapp says hold my beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

15. Likes:

757690 (04-13-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021)

I much prefer Antone in the 2-3 inning, medium leverage role. He'll still get 110 innings or so, and it seems very well suited to his strengths. Hoffman deserves a least another 2-3 starts, and Lorenzen will be sorely needed in the later innings.

17. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Vern Rapp says hold my beer
    Vern Rapp's winning percentage with the Reds - .421
    Bryan Price's winning percentage with the Reds - .419

And Price got 4+ seasons to amass that nauseating figure. Rapp got the heave after 121 games. As bad as the Lost Decade was, only one season (2001) was worse than the average Price season, and only other (2003) came close.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (04-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Vern Rapp's winning percentage with the Reds - .421
    Bryan Price's winning percentage with the Reds - .419

And Price got 4+ seasons to amass that nauseating figure. Rapp got the heave after 121 games. As bad as the Lost Decade was, only one season (2001) was worse than the average Price season, and only other (2003) came close.
    Winning percentage almost identical. But Rapp was by far the least respected manager by the players the Reds have had in my lifetime. Give Rapp 4+ seasons, and he would make everyone forget about Price.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Winning percentage almost identical. But Rapp was by far the least respected manager by the players the Reds have had in my lifetime. Give Rapp 4+ seasons, and he would make everyone forget about Price.
    Fortunately, no one was that insane. I still can't explain the modern insanity regarding Price.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (04-16-2021)

I prefer Antone in the rotation getting 150+ innings to him relieving getting less than 100 innings (I am greatly skeptical any Reds reliever will throw 100 or more innings). He's third on the staff in WPA because he has pitched really well and he'll move up even higher on that list if he pitches really well for more innings...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I prefer Antone in the rotation getting 150+ innings to him relieving getting less than 100 innings (I am greatly skeptical any Reds reliever will throw 100 or more innings). He's third on the staff in WPA because he has pitched really well and he'll move up even higher on that list if he pitches really well for more innings...
    Though it's also because he's getting used in situations where he's got some leverage. Scores real high in WP/LI and RE24 too. There is extra value to thriving in the innings where he's pitching. Also, the slightly shorter outings in the pen allow him to go full-tilt. So the tradeoff is higher leverage and probably better performance for fewer IP. FWIW, I'm fine either way they want to use him, but I'd keep him as a bullpen hammer.

26. Likes:

HokieRed (04-13-2021),Mitri (04-13-2021),REDREAD (04-16-2021),Tom Servo (04-13-2021)

Turn Off Ads?