Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: The Rotation

Three Teams Who Could Sign Jake Odorizzi

https://www.baseballessential.com/ne...jake-odorizzi/

Cincinnati Reds
    The Reds haven’t entered a full-fledged rebuild — yet. As is, they still have a competitive team, and Jake Odorizzi would be a competitive, short-term transaction.

Even with Trevor Bauer leaving town for the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Reds still have a sturdy rotation which includes Luis Castillo, Sonny Gray, and Tyler Mahle. That said, Reds manager David Bell could use an extra rotation arm. Odorizzi would round out their rotation and could gradually return to form in a low-pressure role. Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson helped get Gray and Bauer back on track. Maybe he could do the same with Odorizzi?

If he returns to his old ways, Odorizzi would help the Reds continue to sport one of the premier rotations in MLB. The organization appears to be playing a take-it-by-day approach this offseason, as they’ve lost Bauer and traded closer Raisel Iglesias to the Los Angeles Angels while supposedly being in the mix for standout shortstops.

The National League Central is the St. Louis Cardinals’ to lose, but maybe the Reds could give them a run for their money with some void filling and fine-tuning?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

NC Reds (02-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Three Teams Who Could Sign Jake Odorizzi

https://www.baseballessential.com/ne...jake-odorizzi/
    Odorizzi’s GB rates are extremely low. I’ve never seen the fit for GABP.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-18-2021),M2 (02-17-2021)

Pitcher workloads will be watched
    Like every team, the Reds will be challenged to carefully ramp up the workload of pitchers after last year's unique 60-game season. The Major League leader in innings was Lance Lynn for the Rangers with 84, far from the 175-200 innings most frontline starters can provide.

“We feel great about the work,” Bell said. “I think all the players know that it was a shorter season last year, so there’s been steps taken to compensate for that and make sure that we’re thinking of everything from the health and performance standpoint, and trying to prepare the best we possibly can.”

Starting pitcher Sonny Gray plans to consult with pitching coach Derek Johnson to come up with his innings plan.

“I don’t think anyone truly knows what to expect,” Gray said. “Do you shorten it at the front to be able to continue it at the back? Do you come out guns blazing and just see what happens? What do you do? I’m sure different organizations will have a philosophy on that. I trust D.J. with everything, as you guys know.”
    Mark Sheldon@m_sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Odorizzi’s GB rates are extremely low. I’ve never seen the fit for GABP.
    would still be better than rolling the dice on an unproven starter like lorenzen, antone, etc. also, keeping those guys in the pen will help the pen.

i strongly doubt the reds will sign odorizzi, they are clearly cash strapped, but just saying i would prefer him in the rotation than some of the other options.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    would still be better than rolling the dice on an unproven starter like lorenzen, antone, etc. also, keeping those guys in the pen will help the pen.

i strongly doubt the reds will sign odorizzi, they are clearly cash strapped, but just saying i would prefer him in the rotation than some of the other options.
    I’m not sure if Odorizzi is the answer, but I think the Reds need depth in the rotation.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-18-2021),Revering4Blue (02-18-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Tejay Antone says he prepared for camp as a starter, but he's fine with a role in rotation or bullpen. #Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Rotation goes from a major strength, with Bauer, to solid, without him.

The main risk is the BOR, which involves a bounce back (Miley), conversion from pen (Lorenzen), or unprovens (DeLeon, Antone, Hoffman).

It’s as good as many teams, not the top ones, but good enough in the NL Central, if healthy.
    And, my money is for Antone to take a major step forward and pitch much better than Miley, hopefully taking over for Miley as the 4th Starter before the season is half over.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Pitcher workloads will be watched
    Like every team, the Reds will be challenged to carefully ramp up the workload of pitchers after last year's unique 60-game season. The Major League leader in innings was Lance Lynn for the Rangers with 84, far from the 175-200 innings most frontline starters can provide.

“We feel great about the work,” Bell said. “I think all the players know that it was a shorter season last year, so there’s been steps taken to compensate for that and make sure that we’re thinking of everything from the health and performance standpoint, and trying to prepare the best we possibly can.”

Starting pitcher Sonny Gray plans to consult with pitching coach Derek Johnson to come up with his innings plan.

“I don’t think anyone truly knows what to expect,” Gray said. “Do you shorten it at the front to be able to continue it at the back? Do you come out guns blazing and just see what happens? What do you do? I’m sure different organizations will have a philosophy on that. I trust D.J. with everything, as you guys know.”
    Totally forgot about that. Very important.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Over two big league stints for Cincinnati last season, Antone was 0-3 but had a 2.80 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP in 13 games (four starts).

Antone is preparing again as a starting pitcher, as he has a chance for the fifth spot in the rotation. Other candidates include Michael Lorenzen, Jeff Hoffman and José De León. But Antone could also fit easily in a bullpen role, where he showed dependability in some big spots and earned the praise of manager David Bell.

“I believe he could really serve in any role,” Bell said. “He’s one of those guys that might fall into the category of building him up and giving us the most options, making sure he’s at least prepared to pitch multiple innings out of the bullpen. He’s one of those guys, too, where starting pitching is obviously very important. If it turns out we need him there, great, but you almost hate to lose him out of the bullpen.
    Mark Sheldon reds.com

The Cincinnati Reds will go into the 2021 season without two of last year’s most important pitchers — National League Cy Young Award winner Trevor Bauer and closer Raisel Iglesias.

How manager David Bell will work around those blockbuster departures is the overriding question as his pitchers begin throwing this week during spring training. Without major offseason additions, the cost-conscious Reds are going to have to count on getting more out of some of the guys who have been around a while.

Bell is fine with that. Enthusiastic, even.

“We see our rotation as a strength,” he said. “Obviously we lost Trevor, and we all know what a significant loss that is, but to be able to say our rotation is still a strength is pretty impressive, with the depth that we have.”
    https://apnews.com/article/mlb-raise...905d5535daa653
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-19-2021 at 05:13 PM.

It's this kind of attitude why I think Antone is going to grab a permanent starting spot in the rotation this year (besides the fact that he has the talent to do so).

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/tejay-...date-spin-rate

“Even if I’m a 20-year vet down the road, and I show up to camp and I’m wearing that No. 70, I’m going to remember how it was when I first showed up,” Antone said from Reds camp in Goodyear, Ariz. “You have to grind every single day. Every time I look at No. 70, it reminds me that you have to be that animal that wants that job, that rookie that wants that job and is trying to steal that job from somebody.”

18. Likes:

ochoa30 (02-20-2021),Old school 1983 (02-19-2021),Ron Madden (02-19-2021)

Bell's right. The Rotation is still a strength despite some of the comments from Negative Nancy's on this site.

20. Likes:

CmdrCody (03-01-2021),ochoa30 (02-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Negative Nancy's
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-19-2021),Kingspoint (02-20-2021),KronoRed (02-20-2021),Old school 1983 (02-26-2021),Revering4Blue (02-19-2021),Ron Madden (02-19-2021)

Has Nancy replaced Nelly? we couldn't even sign Nelly??? Yeesh.
    Go Gators!

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-20-2021),Revering4Blue (02-19-2021)

Who’s worse - Negative Nancy or Debbie Downer?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Has Nancy replaced Nelly? we couldn't even sign Nelly??? Yeesh.

Turn Off Ads?