Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__

Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson says the main pitchers will be “filtered in” to the pitching schedule during the first week, but some of the new pitchers are getting the first look in Spring Training games.

Johnson: “Swing and misses don’t lie. I’d rather have a swing and miss than a ground ball.”
    That’s a big part of the pitching philosophy in 2021.

Johnson put Miley and Lorenzen in different groups.

Johnson on Miley: “My main concern is keeping him healthy… I know for sure Wade can pitch.”

Johnson on Lorenzen: “He wants to start… The difference is a command thing. Can he throw the ball where he wants to more often?"

Johnson says Tejay Antone is a player who has really impressed him and made another step forward by improving his fastball.

He also cites Jeff Hoffman, Hector Perez and Cionel Pérez as “really interesting.” He also praised the jump José De León made over the offseason.

Johnson on relief pitcher Noé Ramirez, who was acquired for Raisel Iglesias: “It feels he’s been in the league for 20 years. True pro.” “He felt really good about what his fastball was doing and his breaking ball.”
    His best pitch, Johnson says, is his changeup.

Johnson reiterates that the Reds aren’t looking at a six-man rotation.

"When you put a sixth guy in your rotation, it takes someone out of your bullpen. I’m not willing to do that."

Johnson says he’s heard and believes that the new baseball feels “spongier” and "softer.”

The biggest thing, he says, is pitchers getting a better feel for the new ball.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (02-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    IIRC Hoffman has a hammer of a curveball, which I know Coors has a negative impact on. His numbers against righties are very bizarre, home and away he is terrible against them. I am optimistic the Reds can at least turn him into a good relief arm.
    The hammer curve from a RHP often gets tagged by RH hitters. It's a very pretty, sometimes ineffective pitch. Reggie Sanders made a whole career out of hitting it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The hammer curve from a RHP often gets tagged by RH hitters. It's a very pretty, sometimes ineffective pitch. Reggie Sanders made a whole career out of hitting it.
    Hoffman's issues are not with his curve though. His fastball is what gets absolutely obliterated. Pretty interesting article here: http://redscontentplus.com/2021/02/c...in-cincinnati/

In short, I think the Reds will tweak his fastball and have him throw it up in the zone and tunnel it with the curveball, improving the outcomes of both pitches. Also, I expect him to throw his curveball considerably more.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-26-2021),M2 (02-26-2021)

I predict Hoffman is outrighted by the end of May.

They traded one guy they had lost any hope in for another guy whose team had lost hope in (and picked up a lotto draft pick in the process)...not going to hurt to see if he can pitch in a new environment. But historically speaking, it'd be an extremely abnormal situation seeing a complete turnaround. Top prospects runs out of options all the time and disappear.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (02-27-2021)

Johnson's comment on Antone v. Lorezen are really interesting. (As well as DeLeon and Cionel Perez.) Penciling Lorenzen into the rotation may prove too early.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (02-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Johnson's comment on Antone v. Lorezen are really interesting. (As well as DeLeon and Cionel Perez.) Penciling Lorenzen into the rotation may prove too early.
    Part of me wonders if we're sleeping on Riley O'Brien.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I suspect O'Brien having options will keep him in Louisville until everyone else has been tried.

13. Likes:

M2 (02-26-2021),Mitri (02-27-2021)

Depending on what shakes out he might see some action later this year. They have a of people to choose from.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

They traded one guy they had lost any hope in for another guy whose team had lost hope in (and picked up a lotto draft pick in the process)...not going to hurt to see if he can pitch in a new environment. But historically speaking, it'd be an extremely abnormal situation seeing a complete turnaround. Top prospects runs out of options all the time and disappear.
    It wouldn't be extremely abnormal. The Rockies are behind the times in terms of pitching and the reds are at the forefront. There are also plenty of cases of failed starters turning into successful relievers, new teams changing pitch mix and immediate success occurring, especially coming from a backwards team (i.e. Dylan Bundy last year).

Nonetheless predicting failure for Hoffman is like saying I bet Barnhart won’t get a hit in his next at bat. Of the two, I’ll put my money on the former first rounder leaving Coors and coming to the Reds pitching system vs the guy who showed flashes but couldn’t gain consistency after two years in the Reds system. Stephenson would have a bazillion ERA if he started in Coors like Hoffman.

Hoffman is nothing more than an interesting flier at this point.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

I'd love to see your annual list of people on the roster (and invites) as far as who has options etc. To me that will (and should) be a big factor as to who makes the club initially. I like taking a look at guys like Hoffman, who have the stuff but haven't put it together. With our staff they have a chance to turn it around. There are plenty of games (win or lose) that have big run differential for him to see action.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Try optimism. It's more fun.
    A pessimist ia optimist with experience!

18. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'd love to see your annual list of people on the roster (and invites) as far as who has options etc. To me that will (and should) be a big factor as to who makes the club initially. I like taking a look at guys like Hoffman, who have the stuff but haven't put it together. With our staff they have a chance to turn it around. There are plenty of games (win or lose) that have big run differential for him to see action.
    https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...pring-Training

Just open the two images I have placed in the initial post of that thread - it has updated 'options' on there.

20. Likes:

JaxRed (02-27-2021),M2 (02-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Johnson says Tejay Antone is a player who has really impressed him and made another step forward by improving his fastball.
    Tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Tasty.
    Tejay is the man this year !!!

The guy really has the stuff and is a perfect fit for the Johnson/Boddy/Bauer way of stepping his game up.

Lol aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Bell just said Antone is going to be in the bullpen this year before ST games have even started. What an idiot.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

24. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?