Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Reds players that need to make an impact in 2021

4 Reds players that need to make an impact in 2021

First is Nick Senzel. So much anticipation came with him whe he was drafted. Seems like many put everything on hold until he got to Cincy. He was going to be the savior. Injuries seem to have hampered him but staying healthy is part of the game. It's time for him to live up to the promise.

Second would be Tyler Mahle. He has shown flashes of being really good but lacks consistency. He should have the age and maturity to develop into a solid 3 or 4 starter.

Third would be Nick Lodolo. No play last year might not have helped him but he has tremendous talent and potential. He needs to show some brilliance in the minors this year and maybe a September call up. He is just 23 but he needs to position himself to start in the majors in 2022.

Last, but not least, is Hunter Greene. If there was ever a good time to have TJ surgery it was last year. This needs to be a year of getting in the innings and regaining confidence in his arm. He is still very young but if you are considered a generational talent you have to make a splash early.

2. Likes:

M2 (02-15-2021),REDREAD (02-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4 Reds players that need to make an impact in 2021

I'll go with just 3 - Castillo, Gray, and Mahle....if they don't then the season is almost assuredly lost.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021),Revering4Blue (02-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I'll go with just 3 - Castillo, Gray, and Mahle....if they don't then the season is almost assuredly lost.
    I’ll add Senzel and Antone to that list.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Eugenio Suarez.

He obviously wasn’t 100% last season. If he isn’t close to 100% this season, I think it’s largely inconsequential what the rest of the lineup does.

9. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-16-2021),REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Four picks to click:

1. Nick Senzel
    He has to stay healthy at some point. I suspect he'll go 275/350/450 when he does with above average defense in the field and 20 - 30 stolen bases.

2. Nick Castellanos
    He'll play to the back of his baseball card-- and a bit more. 850 - 900 OPS will lead the team.

3. Tyler Mahle
    If the ball truly does die a bit, he'll be better. Like top 45 starter in baseball better.

4. Tyler Stephenson
    If the Reds give him a legitimate chance, he's going to hit well. The question is whether they'll let him play at least half the games. I suspect not, sadly.

11. Likes:

757690 (02-15-2021),Griffey012 (02-18-2021),M2 (02-15-2021),REDREAD (02-18-2021)

I'm expecting Winker and Suarez and Mahle, will be Winker and Suarez and Mahle. So for me the 4 that could have the biggest impact in improved team performance are:

Senzel for the reasons you all stated
    Castellanos - for the money, he's got to produce at the clip he reached a couple years ago
    Lorenzen - it's his walk year. Golden opportunity to start. Let's see what you can do!
    Antone - if he's in the bullpen he could be a huge boost along with Garrett/Sims, or if he's in the rotation he could be the best #5 starter in the Central

13. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Suarez and Moustakas - they'll be covering lots of ground as there will be no SS in between them in the infield, as the Reds obviously plan to have Castellanos, Winker, Shugo and Senzel play the OF (not sure if it will be LF, LCF, RCF, RF or the usual 3 OF spots and a short fielder moving between the historic SS position and 2b depending on the hitter).

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-16-2021)

Positive or negative impact.

It's possible a 2 or 3 could make a huge impact, negative impact, with lots of PA's or IP, with poor results.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The whole team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Four picks to click:

1. Nick Senzel
    He has to stay healthy at some point. I suspect he'll go 275/350/450 when he does with above average defense in the field and 20 - 30 stolen bases.

2. Nick Castellanos
    He'll play to the back of his baseball card-- and a bit more. 850 - 900 OPS will lead the team.

3. Tyler Mahle
    If the ball truly does die a bit, he'll be better. Like top 45 starter in baseball better.

4. Tyler Stephenson
    If the Reds give him a legitimate chance, he's going to hit well. The question is whether they'll let him play at least half the games. I suspect not, sadly.
    I like this list. Wanted to pick a reliever, but I'm not sure the bullpen hinges on any one guy. They've got a lot arms stacked up there, which is a good thing.

Senzel is #1 with a bullet. If he can do what you listed, the glee factor around here will be high.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Four picks to click:

1. Nick Senzel

2. Nick Castellanos

3. Tyler Mahle

4. Tyler Stephenson
    I agree with the top 3, but I would have to say Miley. He needs to be a solid #4 in the rotation to be able to maximize the guys in the pen. I'd like something like this line 150 innings, 4.3 era and 5.8/6 innings per start. If he needs a rest spot start Antone/Hoffman if need be

20. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I agree with the top 3, but I would have to say Miley. He needs to be a solid #4 in the rotation to be able to maximize the guys in the pen. I'd like something like this line 150 innings, 4.3 era and 5.8/6 innings per start. If he needs a rest spot start Antone/Hoffman if need be
    I suspect both Miley and Lorenzen will be well below average. Lorenzen nibbles too much for a guy with his stuff and HR absolutely kill him. His career BB rate 3.71, and most projections have him somewhere around 4.0/9 this year. That's way too high. The only thing keeping me from kvetching about putting him in the rotation is the possibility of a dead ball. He's not going to allow a bunch of hits. Perhaps his walks will end up not hurting as much, as long as his HR rate stays down. Early in his career, Lorenzen had major issues with the long ball (a HR/FB rate of 15.8% as a rookie starter, plus three other seasons well above the 12% high end of league average). In his career, he averages 13.8% HR/FB. That's crazy high.

Miley is a fifth starter with a bit of upside, but his numbers are similar to Lorenzen's (without the high-end stuff). He's also HR prone and nibbles too much. (He's re-made himself over the past three years or so.) Perhaps the dead ball will help him as well, but his lack of stuff will, I fear, result in lots of big hit games. The good news here, however, is two-fold. The Reds have multiple candidates in case he sucks, and they're almost sure to keep him on a tight leash even when he doesn't.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Votto
    Senzel
    Mahle
    Miley

First two mean the Reds have an offense, second two mean there is rotation depth.

24. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-18-2021),Hoosier Red (02-16-2021),M2 (02-16-2021),REDREAD (02-18-2021),Revering4Blue (02-16-2021)

The entire starting eight need to produce better than Votto's .226 BA that officially led the team.

26. Likes:

klw (02-18-2021),REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Senzel - I am willing to pass over the rookie year and Covid lost year, but it's time for the bat to arrive. That would lengthen the lineup, which is needed with a possible pitchers spot, and little offense from SS and C.

Mahle - Mahle is actually still a young pitcher, and a talented one who dominated the minors. He's actually held his own somewhat, as he is basically a league average pitcher so far in his career. Seems like a guy who.could have a bit of a breakout and give Castillo and Grey some company at the top of the rotation.

Votto - I don't care about the salary. But you have to get some o from the corners. Votto actually looked good to me in 2020, and showed some pop again. He had a really unlucky year. It'd be nice to see a mini renaissance from him... I wouldn't be shocked to so him put up a 120 or so OPS+.

Sims - It's hard to choose one guy from the pile of bullpen arms, who are mainly reclamation projects. The guy who seems most likely to be the bullpen ace they need is Sims. The bullpen may be a revolving door, so it would be key if Sims can be what he was over the short season for a full season...the hammer they can count on.

I would include Shogo if there is the DH and a spot for him in LF. The reds could use the spark plug. I didn't include guys like Castellanos, Moustakas, Suarez, Grey, Castillo and Winker because we pretty much know what to except from those guys over a full season.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 02-18-2021 at 03:14 AM.

28. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?