Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part XI - Rounding Third?

temp

I see the "experts" are still telling us folks who have received both vaccine doses to social distance, stay away from crowds etc, etc. OK, I'd like for them to think about the numbers as in statistical probability that one would:

1) carry the virus
    2) get sick from the virus
    3) get ill from the virus (as in need hospital care)

My guess is that #2 and #3 are less risky than getting struck by lightning and probably also less likely than getting seriously injured driving your car on I-75. #1 we really don't know for sure but we do know that except in really rare cases, you're only carrying the virus for 10 days of your entire life, assuming you catch it at all.

Which leads me to my final point. Seeing as these numbers are very, very remote, how can we justify continuing to let this virus alter our lives? This is the bottom line that I'm continuing to struggle with. Please folks, help me out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: State Covid Vaccine Dashboards

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    More good news from Israel:

Attachment 16971
    Unfortunately that article doesn't tell the whole story. I'd like to know more about the 5%. Did they go to the hospital? Did they die? In the original Pfizer trails, even in that 5%, nobody needed a ventilator and nobody died. It was 100% effective at preventing serious life threatening illness

Covid-19, Part XI - Rounding Third?

Figured I'd start us off to discuss anything not related to the numbers of vaccines and/or daily infections.

Re: Covid-19, Part XI - Rounding Third?

It will be interesting to see what this week does to numbers with people being snowed in for a few days. It may slow vaccination but it also may serve as a mini lockdown.

Heard a local news report where they said they are naming new variants after birds. New one for me.

Robin - 1
    Robin -2
    Pelican 1

These were US variant. I can only assume the 2 Robins were close to each other so that's why they weren't given different names.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-16-2021 at 12:08 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    This shouldn’t be news to anyone that is remotely following things. There were similar findings in the vaccination studies. As said, the FOUR people had no or mild symptoms. That’s great.

If you were presenting this as a “just news” post I apologize for being curt. If this is being presented as part of a broader theme I’m curious at to what you are driving at.
    Just so people understand that 95% is a great number, far greater than any flu vaccine before it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I see the "experts" are still telling us folks who have received both vaccine doses to social distance, stay away from crowds etc, etc. OK, I'd like for them to think about the numbers as in statistical probability that one would:

1) carry the virus

My guess is that #2 and #3 are less risky than getting struck by lightning and probably also less likely than getting seriously injured driving your car on I-75. #1 we really don't know for sure but we do know that except in really rare cases, you're only carrying the virus for 10 days of your entire life, assuming you catch it at all.

Which leads me to my final point. Seeing as these numbers are very, very remote, how can we justify continuing to let this virus alter our lives? This is the bottom line that I'm continuing to struggle with. Please folks, help me out.
    Im assuming this is just until we get the majority of people vaccinated, though, right?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

NY Times reports that last month Moderna asked the US for permission to include 15 doses per vial instead of 10. Apparently the US has given permission to go to 14. Still some administrative paperwork to satisfy, and it takes 2-3 months to implement for Moderna.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/u...1f35f2c2baa6a8

Obviously this is good for logistics because you are increasing supply by 40% while not increasing the number of vials in transport.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

1) carry the virus

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Im assuming this is just until we get the majority of people vaccinated, though, right?
    First of all I don't know when or if we'll ever get half of America vaccinated. I'm guessing about 150 mill will volunteer to be vaccinated. I think we have about 100 mill who have natural immunity based upon those that have tested positive and those that were likely infected but didn't seek out doctor's care, but rather than deal with guesses, let's deal with the here and now.

What's the problem if I take a flight somewhere? How 'bout go to a crowded craft beer bar? A restaurant? A Reds game? Why can't I do all that right now? I haven't gotten sick for over a year. Now my chances of getting sick enough to warrant a hospital stay/death are pretty much zero. My chances of getting sick at all are very, very slim...probably less than my getting the flu or numerous other ailments out there...so why continue to let this virus run my life? There's still a ton of fear mongering going on out there and I've had enough. I'm going to follow the science

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I love how "You can easily pass the coronavirus to others who could get terribly ill, even if you've been vaccinated" never factors into the libertarian calculus of "opening up."

It's almost like they don't comprehend how diseases actually spread.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

mth123 (02-17-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    "You can easily pass the coronavirus to others who could get terribly ill, even if you've been vaccinated"
    This isn’t true fwiw

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...e-transmission
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/03/healt...ntl/index.html
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 02-16-2021 at 01:48 PM.

15. Likes:

Boston Red (02-16-2021),Sea Ray (02-16-2021)

This deal is crazy. We've had some vaccines administered here, of course, but other than a brief blip in mid-January, Covid cases have been going steadily down here since mdi-November, and we have done almost literally nothing differently. Schools (including teams sports), restaurants, and businesses were open on the way up, and they all stayed open on the way down. I'm quite pleased that this is almost over.

17. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-16-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This deal is crazy. We've had some vaccines administered here, of course, but other than a brief blip in mid-January, Covid cases have been going steadily down here since mdi-November, and we have done almost literally nothing differently. Schools (including teams sports), restaurants, and businesses were open on the way up, and they all stayed open on the way down. I'm quite pleased that this is almost over.
    I forget where I read it, but apparently cases dropped pretty similarly across the world over in Europe and etc in places that correlated pretty strongly by latitude, which I guess apparently implies there is some sort of seasonal effect that’s kicking in. I don’t think the vaccines would make a major difference to the extent it’s happening yet.

I agree with you here WM.

However there is always a way for those vaccinated to spread it - say someone sneezes towards you (you are vaccinated) - you inhale in into your nostrils, then you sneeze it out soon after and someone else gets the virus. Do I suspect (trials pending) that that will be a rare event - yes I do. But being able to say “you can still transmit the virus even if you are vaccinated” is a powerful statement that will used to stir up fear. (I’m glad to err on the side of caution for now and will always follow the prudent science. But I’ve already seen many people make that statement leaving it at face value without diving into what it really means)

Turn Off Ads?