Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part XI - Rounding Third?

Re: Covid-19, Part XI - Rounding Third?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If I'm going to sit in close proximity to someone at a ballpark or a plane I'd like some assurance that they are vaccinated. And I don't want to sit there in a mask. I know society isn't going there, but I'd like to vaccine ID's on your phone.

Also if I'm making the rules, if someone opts out of vaccines, their insurance should not have to pay any covid related medical bills.
    You cannot begin to make such a requirement of people when the FDA hasn't even fully approved these vaccines. There's a reason they're only on emergency authorization.

As for your own health, get a vaccine and don't worry about the guy next to you. If he hasn't gotten one, that's a risk he's willing to take and it's his health that's most at risk

2. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (02-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Here's an article I agree with that goes against Fauci and the CDC. This Dr from Johns Hopkins thinks that we'll pretty much have this virus defeated by April and I agree with him. We'll always have it with us, like the flu, but it'll be very much under control and we should go back to normal life

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-ha...il-11613669731

5. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (02-20-2021)

I will agree with you and him on that. I think herd immunity (or at least enough of it to affect the numbers) is taking place. It only took a little bit of vaccine to 'break the back' of the increases around Jan 11th. And then every day after that with new cases and people getting vaccinated the transmission rate goes down, which starts a virtuous cycle that feeds on itself.

I just don't want that to be an excuse to stop vaccinating.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-18-2021)

There's term called COVID Theater which means putting on a show about what you're doing for Covid even if it no longer makes sense. I've heard about it in regards to the NYC subway system, where they do a massive cleaning on the cars every night, even though by now everyone knows the problem is airborne not contact related.

I see it on the national and local news where a person standing by themselves outside has a mask on. They are putting on a show about what good citizens they are when they are outside with no one near.

As a nation we will need leaders that do everything to encourage thigs that make sense (vaccines, and masks indoors when crowded) and eliminate things just for show (masks when outside).

I want to get away from masks, and the absolute best way to do that is vaccines.

9. Likes:

Boston Red (02-18-2021),redhawkfish (02-18-2021),RiverRat13 (02-18-2021),Sea Ray (02-18-2021),Wonderful Monds (02-18-2021)

There's term called COVID Theater which means putting on a show about what you're doing for Covid even if it no longer makes sense. I've heard about it in regards to the NYC subway system, where they do a massive cleaning on the cars every night, even though by now everyone knows the problem is airborne not contact related.

I see it on the national and local news where a person standing by themselves outside has a mask on. They are putting on a show about what good citizens they are when they are outside with no one near.

As a nation we will need leaders that do everything to encourage thigs that make sense (vaccines, and masks indoors when crowded) and eliminate things just for show (masks when outside).

I want to get away from masks, and the absolute best way to do that is vaccines.
    As a mass transit rider during non-covid times, I hope they keep cleaning trains and busses for the foreseeable future. Even if it has no effect on Covid transmission.

BTW, the 4 states that were leading the numbers for COVID in recent weeks were California, Florida, NY and Texas. I wonder whether the blizzard will have the unintended effect of a near total lockdown for Covid purposes in Texas?

(NY also to a much lesser extent)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-19-2021 at 08:40 AM.

BTW, the 4 states that were leading the numbers for COVID in recent weeks were California, Florida, NY and Texas. I wonder whether the blizzard will have the unintended effect of a near total lockdown for Covid purposes?

(NY also to a much lesser extent)
    Those are also the four most populous states so it stands to reason that their C19 numbers would also be high.

temp

Sure appears like herd immunity is kicking in. Fingers crossed

Re: Monitoring the 7 Day Covid Trend Line. Looking for a peak

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sure appears like herd immunity is kicking in. Fingers crossed
    It is not. I don't know why people are saying this. It's just seasonality. I don't know why it is so hard to understand that we're NO WHERE close to the "herd immunity" that all of the scientists have been talking about.

Not to mention, this snow and winter weather has REALLY forced people into quasi lockdowns.

15. Likes:

dabvu2498 (02-19-2021),Slyder (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It is not. I don't know why people are saying this. It's just seasonality. I don't know why it is so hard to understand that we're NO WHERE close to the "herd immunity" that all of the scientists have been talking about.

Not to mention, this snow and winter weather has REALLY forced people into quasi lockdowns.
    That’s a good point about the weather. Here in cleveland it’s been brutal all February outside. My family feels like we live in a hamster cage. We at least have an elliptical to do our daily cardio, but I miss going on long walks/runs outside. Just such a depressing feeling.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I don't think it's herd immunity, but I also don't think it's the cold weather. The cases have been coming down for over a month at this point, even in places that didn't get the extreme cold. We've been going steadily down here (from a pretty high place) since mid to late November. I DO think this latest cold snap will help a bit in the numbers that come out in the next week or so. Both in terms of lower actual cases as people have been locked down by ice, snow and cold and in terms of people who actually got Covid but couldn't get tested due to the same ice, snow and cold.

This is typically the season where cold and flu flourishes. Seasonality would explain a spike, not this sort of downturn. Seasonality makes this all the more impressive

https://www.ft.com/content/919d16c8-...9-04a48fdb0a36

Some potentially very good news for vaccine distribution. Studies showing that Pfizer doesn’t need the ultra cold storage and also it has over 80% efficacy after just one shot. Could lead to a shift in the timing on the second shot and get more first shots done quicker.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

2nd shot down. 1 more week until party time for me.

21. Likes:

757690 (02-20-2021),Boston Red (02-19-2021),Edd Roush (02-19-2021),mole44 (02-19-2021),paintmered (02-20-2021),redhawkfish (02-19-2021),RiverRat13 (02-19-2021),Sea Ray (02-20-2021),WrongVerb (02-19-2021)

While searching for a non-paywall version of Buckeye's report I came across this

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...al-world-test/

More good news about Pfizer. Among which is that the vaccine prevents re-transmission 89% of the time. So 89% of the people who get the vaccine, not only don't show symptoms, they don't get the disease at all or pass it on. Basically the virus just does nothing to them.

That's extremely helpful in achieving herd immunity as the virus has a harder and harder time finding someone to infect.

My opinion - Moderna will probably be the same and helps explains why vaccines are causing numbers to plummet in the US.

23. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?