Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Barry Larkin joining Reds TV broadcast booth

Re: Barry Larkin joining Reds TV broadcast booth

Interesting... I wonder who Piecoro ticked off. He’s been around a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (02-19-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I liked Danny Graves, I think he did a better job than LeCure does honestly.

5. Likes:

757690 (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Interesting... I wonder who Piecoro ticked off. He’s been around a long time.
    Did you ever notice when Piecoro would interview someone, especially after the game, how he wouldn’t ask any questions? He would usually make a comment and then stop talking to give the player/manager time to talk. It certainly was an odd style and is completely the opposite of how Jim Day or pretty much any other media member conducts interviews. I feel like this may have had something to do with Piecoro’s departure from the broadcast team.

As for Graves and Flynn not returning, that seems to be as a result of the Larkin hire more than anything. With Larkin working all home games, that’s 81 of the announcer seats being filled out of the 648 total seats (2 booths X 162 games X 2 seats).

I expect Jeff Brantley’s normal rotation to remain similar to previous years with the only difference being that his TV appearances will always be on the road.

With Welsh’s reduction in time on TV Color, he will be back on the radio for the first time in years (I do remember him in the past very rarely working radio when Cowboy was on TV). Welsh will also spend some time at the Reds Live desk, presumably during many home games.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I had a hard time separating my dislike for Danny Graves the pitcher from my feelings towards Danny Graves the broadcaster. I thought he was Ok on the studio show, but caught him a few times on the radio and was not impressed.

I don’t dislike LeCure on the pre and post game shows. A few times it was clear he was boiling about something that happened in game and had to visibly calm himself down. Some would probably call it unprofessional, but I found it entertaining. I also liked when he would work in for a few innings during the game. I found the discussions between he and Welsh to be interesting.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

8. Likes:

westofyou (02-19-2021)

Since the REDS will still be in contention through at least July (right?), Larkin's addition should make the first four months (plus 45 days for Spring Training) very enjoyable.

Don't know if it's already happening, but if Eric Davis could be part of the organization with plenty of face-time, then that would be great, too.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I liked him better then Brantley too, wish Brantley would stay on the radio.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    lol @ "thom's reign of terror."
    Wouldn't that be "Thom's reign of Therror"?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-19-2021),jwdoc77 (02-19-2021),Spider Tre (02-19-2021),The Operator (02-19-2021)

It stinks that they didn't find out until this late into the process.

Count me among those that liked Graves more than LeCure.

14. Likes:

Chip R (02-19-2021),Revering4Blue (02-19-2021),Wonderful Monds (02-19-2021)

I loved his honest / non politically correct commentary. Bummer
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I think the Reds finally realized - and maybe this was due to Covid and it's a cost-cutting measure - that they employed too many broadcasters. Unfortunately guys like Piecoro, Graves and Flynn were the odd men out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think the Reds finally realized - and maybe this was due to Covid and it's a cost-cutting measure - that they employed too many broadcasters. Unfortunately guys like Piecoro, Graves and Flynn were the odd men out.
    Too many pitchers, too many guys who added little substance

Less is more, if you can't be 12 piece band maybe look to the power trios for inspiration

18. Likes:

Chip R (02-19-2021)

I like both Danny Graves and Sam LeCure a lot more than I like Jeff Brantley. I wouldn't mind if they replaced Cowboy with either Graves of LeCure
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-20-2021 at 11:16 AM.

20. Likes:

KronoRed (02-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?