Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin joining Reds TV broadcast booth

Re: Barry Larkin joining Reds TV broadcast booth

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Can't be worse than Harold Reynolds.
    And this is true LOL. but just to be clear I'm glad they made the move to bring him in and add some fresh blood
    Crazy Reds Fan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Can't be worse than Harold Reynolds.
    You'd think. But he basically came across as Harold Reynolds 2.0. Pleasant guy, but always seems like he's carrying water for how the game used to be played. I'm obviously a fanboy of Larkin the player, but I'm not looking forward to 100 different versions of "analytics have ruined the game."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-16-2021),Ron Madden (02-16-2021)

If this keeps him away from being Reds manager, I am all for it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If this keeps him away from being Reds manager, I am all for it.
    I like your sentiment, but . . .

How valuable is broadcast experience as a preparatory platform to coach or manage?

If ballplayers have no on-field or on-court leadership experience, is their work in the booth sufficient training to coach or manage?

Aaron Boone stepped into the Yankees’ dugout with no managing experience and hardly looked foolish. Steve Kerr and Doc Rivers absolutely prove that ‘No coaching experience is required.’ Both ex NBA players are model examples of the broadcast road.

David Ross, the new Cubs manager, hopes that he can continue the wave of recent success engineered by Boone, Kerr and Rivers. Ross worked for ESPN and hadn’t managed at all when he was hired last fall as the skipper of the Cubs. Trends suggest that clubs consider the microphone good training for a couple reasons.

First, work in the broadcast booth affords budding candidates opportunities to dissect a multitude of decision making challenges, be it tactical or strategic. Future field or court bosses can also use the time on-air to observe how other coaches and managers communicate with their players. Through it, they fashion their own potential style. The role in the booth as such produces tangible managerial development.

So rather than appraising candidates strictly on past records, be it the field or the court, employers give broadcast experience more weight today.

Second, unlike years ago, teams are covered by more than just a few local writers. In today’s ubiquitous world of media, public relations challenges can erupt in a heartbeat. It’s more than just a few writers covering a local team. Team bosses have to respond smartly and amicably.

Media row and auxiliary press boxes are filled with bloggers, podcast hosts and contributors to social media. So more so than ever, teams can ill afford irascible behavior by field bosses who can’t keep a lid on their fuses. From that perspective, the experience behind the microphone reinforces the need to interact harmoniously with other media members.

https://www.sportsbroadcastjournal.c...-and-managers/

One day Barry Larkin and Chris Welsh will be in the same booth together.

And then the ensuing fight will determine BABIP's true validity once and for all.

8. Likes:

757690 (02-16-2021),The Operator (02-17-2021)

Catch ya later Pic and Graves. Graves may actually be >> Larkin

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post

Did Graves do TV? I thought he was only on radio. Are you thinking of LeCure?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Graves was primarily radio, but I seem to remember him being on tv a couple of times last year. At any rate, I think he and pic are both gone going forward.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-16-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    It’s disappointing that Danny Graves isn’t a part of the broadcast teams this year. He did a good job filling in on radio broadcasts and brought the energy on the TV pregame/postgame shows.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (02-19-2021)

FOX Sports Cincinnati
    @FOXSportsCincy
    Meet
    @JohnSadak and @BarryLarkin,
    the newest additions to our @Reds
    broadcast team on Access Reds tomorrow at 6:30 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr

Barry Larkin says the plan is for him to call all 81 home games.
    Barry Larkin wanted to make it clear: "This is in no way an attempt to get me closer to managing the Cincinnati Reds." He says he's a big David Bell fan and doesn't want it to be misconstrued in any way. #Reds
    Right.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-17-2021),membengal (02-19-2021),Tom Servo (02-16-2021)

Neat, but not happy we'll be getting less Welsh.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 02-16-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    Go Gators!

Chris has been indicating that he'd enjoy less work, good for him he's worked hard and is a quality guy who does quality work.

Barry Larkin is my favorite baseball player ever, not my first hero, not even my favorite Red in 1990, but he's my favorite baseball player ever.

Therefore... I approve

21. Likes:

Larkin Fan (02-17-2021),RiverRat13 (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post

Danny was good, but he also was a pitcher on a team that that 4 former pitchers as analysts

It was too one sided from that angle, lord knows we don't need more Brantley views on what position players should be doing

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You'd think. But he basically came across as Harold Reynolds 2.0. Pleasant guy, but always seems like he's carrying water for how the game used to be played. I'm obviously a fanboy of Larkin the player, but I'm not looking forward to 100 different versions of "analytics have ruined the game."
    larkin is smarter than that. he won't go all joe morgan and say "analytics have ruined the game" without adding some context.

for example, i could see him blasting the shift and how that has made the game worse. which, in a way is saying analytics have ruined the game, without actually saying it. i have not met one baseball fan who likes the shift. any other sport would outlaw something like that when everyone is in agreement that it's bad for the game (illegal defense in basketball, etc). but baseball just allows it to continue.

so, i could see lark going down that path. but he won't go full moron and say "analytics have ruined the game."

Turn Off Ads?